2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
The year before, Carlisle were also in LD2 but were relegated back to LD3 (after one season) where their opponents that season included Brighton & Hove Albion, Swansea City, Hull City and Cardiff City. All teams that have played in the Premier League this century.

Fulham and Wigan were both promoted from LD3 to LD2 after the 1996/97 season with Carlisle.
View attachment 1014683

4 of those clubs no longer exist, 3 others playing non league football, 2 others currently in EPL.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LOL. Sunderland just sacked another manager after scraping a draw at Fleetwood (yeah I had to look that up too). Sitting 8th in L1 and seemingly anchored there. Going to take some spark to get them back into promotion contention I think. If only "Til I Die" was still filming...

LOL. Sunderland just sacked another manager after scraping a draw at Fleetwood (yeah I had to look that up too). Sitting 8th in L1 and seemingly anchored there. Going to take some spark to get them back into promotion contention I think. If only "Til I Die" was still filming...

Wow missed that they sacked their manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How bloody bad are Derby County going ? Lost 9 league games in a row now. Rooney is copping it sweet too.

They are morals to go down to league 1 (and mighr bring Forest along with them)
Yeah, pretty amazing that 3 big clubs that no doubt would harbour lofty ambitions to return to the EPL and do well occupy the bottom four of the Championship; Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham.

Given the introduction of the salary cap across the EFL, you wouldn't want to fall into League 1 any time soon, Sunderland is a case in point of how long a club can be mired down there and even then they don't look like getting back up this campaign.

Yeah, pretty amazing that 3 big clubs that no doubt would harbour lofty ambitions to return to the EPL and do well occupy the bottom four of the Championship; Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham.

Given the introduction of the salary cap across the EFL, you wouldn't want to fall into League 1 any time soon, Sunderland is a case in point of how long a club can be mired down there and even then they don't look like getting back up this campaign.

In fact the salary cap benefits clubs who get relegated. I believe (could be mistaken) that any existing contracts don't count under the salary cap.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
In fact the salary cap benefits clubs who get relegated. I believe (could be mistaken) that any existing contracts don't count under the salary cap.
You're actually right, but that being said, club's would only have a small window of say a season or two to get back up given some of those players (mostly the ambitious younger players) on higher salaries probably would only stay down in a lower division for a season.

IIRC, in Sunderland Til I Die (before the introduction of the Salary Cap), the club were desperate to get Jack Rodwell's salary off the books due to his lack of output, although if memory serves, Rodwell was also happy to sit on his contract (as was his right too) irrespective of what league he was playing with or how detrimental it was overall to the club's plight and inability to bring in other players due to having to pay him.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

That is true, but it could be worse. They could end up like Pompey or worse, Bolton Wanderers.

Sunderland are a pretty big and famous club that really needs to get their s**t in order.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
IIRC, in Sunderland Til I Die (before the introduction of the Salary Cap), the club were desperate to get Jack Rodwell's salary off the books due to his lack of output, although if memory serves, Rodwell was also happy to sit on his contract (as was his right too) irrespective of what league he was playing with or how detrimental it was overall to the club's plight and inability to bring in other players due to having to pay him.

That campaigner openly said he wanted to play for England again while he was sitting on his fat ******* arse getting that paycheck from us I hope he gets a colonoscopy with a ******* cactus.

And linked to Gus Poyet again haha ******* hell.

Poyet got us to a cup final and kept us up through turning Connor Wickham into a world class player for 5 minutes (he also got Brighton promoted from L1 and them as a stable Championship side). Would be more then happy with him or Cowley coming in.

Phil Parkinson got two amazing cup runs with Bradford and has been riding those since. Absolute s**t house manager and it's honestly a tossup between him, Moyes and Grayson for worst I've ever seen here. We have one of the best squads in L1 and he had us playing defensive s**t house football against Milton ******* Keynes FFS.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

We don't need a spark we need a competent ******* manager who isn't Phil Parkinson.

That campaigner openly said he wanted to play for England again while he was sitting on his fat ******* arse getting that paycheck from us I hope he gets a colonoscopy with a ******* cactus.

Poyet got us to a cup final and kept us up through turning Connor Wickham into a world class player for 5 minutes (he also got Brighton promoted from L1 and them as a stable Championship side). Would be more then happy with him or Cowley coming in.

Phil Parkinson got two amazing cup runs with Bradford and has been riding those since. Absolute sh*t house manager and it's honestly a tossup between him, Moyes and Grayson for worst I've ever seen here. We have one of the best squads in L1 and he had us playing defensive sh*t house football against Milton ******* Keynes FFS.

Yeah Parkinson is a bit of a weird one, came in for us after Taylor did the heavy lifting and almost undid it, but then it was his assistant (Browny) who took us to the Promised Land.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

Phil Parkinson got two amazing cup runs with Bradford and has been riding those since. Absolute sh*t house manager and it's honestly a tossup between him, Moyes and Grayson for worst I've ever seen here. We have one of the best squads in L1 and he had us playing defensive sh*t house football against Milton ******* Keynes FFS.
There was probably more to it than I'm aware, but I was surprised Chris Coleman was let go so quickly.

IMO, Coleman is a pretty pragmatic manager and I thought if he was persisted with and he could've brought in some players of his choosing that he'd have got your club back up.

Just my opinion of course.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Yeah Parkinson is a bit of a weird one, came in for us after Taylor did the heavy lifting and almost undid it, but then it was his assistant (Browny) who took us to the Promised Land.

So are you saying his assistant will get us back into the PL and become a meme machine whilst doing it? Because I will take it.

There was probably more to it than I'm aware, but I was surprised Chris Coleman was let go so quickly.

IMO, Coleman is a pretty pragmatic manager and I thought if he was persisted with and he could've brought in some players of his choosing that he'd have got your club back up.

Just my opinion of course.

I (and a lot of other SAFC supporters) thought Chris would have gotten us back up in no time but Donald Duck and Charlie Ibiza said they wanted a clean slate. My personal theory is they couldn't afford his wages and ****ed him off for Jack Ross who would have been 10x cheaper and it's why I think we'll end up with Danny Cowley over someone like Poyet.

So are you saying his assistant will get us back into the PL and become a meme machine whilst doing it? Because I will take it.

I (and a lot of other SAFC supporters) thought Chris would have gotten us back up in no time but Donald Duck and Charlie Ibiza said they wanted a clean slate. My personal theory is they couldn't afford his wages and f’ed him off for Jack Ross who would have been 10x cheaper and it's why I think we'll end up with Danny Cowley over someone like Poyet.

Just that he was such a nothing manager for us sandwiched between two massive successes.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Just that he was such a nothing manager for us sandwiched between two massive successes.

Well Jack Ross did get us into the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final along with a playoff final so that could count as a massive success. Fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back