2020/21 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
* the lot of you.

I'm an Eagles fan in Melbourne, so I never see us win.

And while you all thought Saturday night's disgrace was as bad as it gets, I was simultaneously watching the Canberra Raiders absolutely pack it in at almost the exact same time as the Victory did.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sorry for the intrusion.

Couple of questions:
1. Are Popa's sons better than your current players, was a real frustration for us Glory supporters
2. Do you guys have the cash to splash on his assistants he usually brings everywhere he goes
3. Does Popas 1-0 dour defensiveness game style make you want to go to more games?

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Sorry for the intrusion.

Couple of questions:
1. Are Popa's sons better than your current players, was a real frustration for us Glory supporters
2. Do you guys have the cash to splash on his assistants he usually brings everywhere he goes
3. Does Popas 1-0 dour defensiveness game style make you want to go to more games?
1. They can't be worse
2. Not sure
3. We've lost 0-13 to City the last 2 times combined. I'll take a 0-0 draw at this point

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The best option without backing up the truck for a big name... and even then those big names sometimes fail to grasp the intricacies of the A-League. So I'm really happy with that appointment.

What confuses me is why he's not starting for 3 months. Surely there'd be benefit to coming in now and getting to know the players before you figure out which 75% you're going to chop next season.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The best option without backing up the truck for a big name... and even then those big names sometimes fail to grasp the intricacies of the A-League. So I'm really happy with that appointment.

What confuses me is why he's not starting for 3 months. Surely there'd be benefit to coming in now and getting to know the players before you figure out which 75% you're going to chop next season.

"I'll fix your toilet but you better flush it first"

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Club email I just received.

Today, I would like our members to be the first to know that we have appointed Tony Popovic to be the A-League Head Coach of Melbourne Victory commencing in July. Tony has signed for the next three seasons.

Tony brings to our club a wealth of coaching experience and a record of success. He has a deep understanding and knowledge of the A-League and the nuances associated with the competition. He was the standout candidate with two A-League Premierships and a historic AFC Champions League title.

Tony has a strong and clear leadership approach and is driven to deliver the next period of success for the Club.

As is always the way at Melbourne Victory, Tony as Head Coach will be responsible for the entire A-League program overseeing support staff, recruitment, list management and our A-League playing style and performance.

The Board is committed to providing Tony with the resources he requires, both on and off the field, to drive success at Melbourne Victory. He will be taking a keen interest in our current roster, over the next six weeks, and will be looking at what he needs to build a successful team going forward.

Tony is equally looking forward to being part of the Club and getting to know the staff, members, fans and partners. In our discussions in the lead up to his appointment Tony made it clear that he had “watched the Club from afar as a player and a coach and that Melbourne Victory is a proud club renowned throughout the A-League for its strong culture and its passionate member and fan base.”

On behalf of everyone at the Club, we welcome Tony and look forward to his arrival soon.

With regard to the remainder of this season, it is going to be a challenge given the circumstances we are in and with a depleted squad. However, the Club’s expectation is that all our current players show intent and a determined fighting spirit.

Interim Head Coach, Steve Kean, has made it very clear that all players are playing for their futures. It is also an opportunity for our younger squad members to demonstrate their ability and character at the highest level.

Obviously, it has been an incredibly tough week with Grant Brebner and the Club parting ways over the weekend. Grant is a champion of Melbourne Victory and will always be a part of this club. We will continue to support him in whatever his next steps are.

We are all extremely disappointed with our current position but Tony’s appointment is a significant step in building towards our Club’s next phase of success.

As a club, we are determined to do what is required to support Tony and get back to where we should be.

We will continue to keep you, our members, updated as developments occur.

a1f59ee3-266f-425b-9826-1f18718d7716.jpg

Anthony Di Pietro
Chairman
Melbourne Victory Football Club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
As is always the way at Melbourne Victory, Tony as Head Coach will be responsible for the entire A-League program overseeing support staff, recruitment, list management and our A-League playing style and performance.

This is an abject lie, and everyone who knows anything about the club knows it's a lie. So why bother?

It's good that it sounds like we're giving Popa the keys to the joint, but don't tell me that this has always been the way.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This is an abject lie, and everyone who knows anything about the club knows it's a lie. So why bother?

It's good that it sounds like we're giving Popa the keys to the joint, but don't tell me that this has always been the way.

Yeah that's a big misrepresentation. It's just another example on how DiPietro and the board try to exploit the members and fans.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder how long this was in the works already? There were rumours circling a while ago and I often asked in here if anyone knew any more. It's less than a week after Brebs departs and he's taking over before the next season. I might be reading too much into it but I'm getting the impression Brebs was going to coach out the season and Popa to take over after. Though the smashing on the weekend just moved things along a bit.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes one could assume that. Steve Kean did an excellent job coaching us in ACL lol
He'd have to have a FIFA accredited qualification still. Mute point anyways because it doesn't make you a good coach as your example clearly points to. I remember it coming up before but couldn't remember why:

The AFC has today written to both his club and Football Federation Australia saying Vidmar is under-qualified to be the head coach in the prestige competition - despite Vidmar leading his side to the ACL final just two years ago

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
He'd have to have a FIFA accredited qualification still. Mute point anyways because it doesn't make you a good coach as your example clearly points to.
I was more referring to Brebs not having one at all lol. Hence Kean was the ACL “coach” listed on the tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back