2020/21 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, we're even bringing on makeshift defenders to replace our makeshift defenders.

Aaaand 2-1. That's been coming for 20 minutes :(

Whoever is in charge of set pieces - likely JP - deserves a ******* reaming for that. How do you not have someone on the far post?

I think he's had enough time out here now, and he's had a good run at things since being injured.

Gestede is just gash. Milligan was right at half time when he thought he was off camera - worst striker to ever play for Victory!

Slow, one-dimensional, lazy, and the complete antithesis to what Toivonen, Bes an Archie all were.

I'm not sure how many games we even have left, but I would've been perfectly comfortable with him being sat out for the rest of the season, especially following the Vukovic precedent.

I don't care if it's my team, I don't care if it's one of my favourite players - I think I'm one of those people who is a football fan first and a Victory fan second (and a Celtic fan third), and I don't want to see anyone manhandling refs (or attempting to). It's a shocking look, it's a shocking example, and grass roots football already struggles to attract referees.

I don't believe that sportspeople are role models - parents, teachers, relatives are role models. But there's no doubt that if it starts to be ok at the higher levels it's going to seep through.

I'm not sure how many games we even have left, but I would've been perfectly comfortable with him being sat out for the rest of the season, especially following the Vukovic precedent.

I don't care if it's my team, I don't care if it's one of my favourite players - I think I'm one of those people who is a football fan first and a Victory fan second (and a Celtic fan third), and I don't want to see anyone manhandling refs (or attempting to). It's a shocking look, it's a shocking example, and grass roots football already struggles to attract referees.

I don't believe that sportspeople are role models - parents, teachers, relatives are role models. But there's no doubt that if it starts to be ok at the higher levels it's going to seep through.
Tend to agree but not sure how I'd feel if we were sitting 2nd on the table instead of 2nd last. 🤨

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to agree but not sure how I'd feel if we were sitting 2nd on the table instead of 2nd last. 🤨

Yep, we all agree there. If we were sitting pretty and about to play the GF i'd be dead against it.
But we are not so i say sit him out.

Alternatively if it was a squad player who did it, immediate suspension for remainder of the season. Marketing/PR put it all over social media that MVFC uphold the greatest standards and players are not exempt. Player X is deeply apologetic and regrets his actions, and accepts the penalty. He will provide support to the team from the sidelines, and continue to work at "being better". MVFC players and staff and its sponsors all put their collective arms around player X to support, show him love and look forward to the returning to the pitch.

Love,

MVFC

Lets be honest if were sitting second or even remotely playing like a professional outfit I doubt Adama would have committed the foul let alone touched the ref.

That said, I think 5 games is rather lenient.

Traore cops a total 5-game ban.

Still no clue why it took 3 weeks for an outcome. He’s already 3 games into the suspension.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Consider himself lucky imo I for sure would have thought he would have gotten a suspension to at least to the end of the season.
Agree puzzling it took so long to come up with a decision.

The article

Trent Jacobs to depart Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory Football Club wishes to advise that Trent Jacobs has decided to move on from his role as Chief Executive Officer.

Jacobs informed Club Chairman Anthony Di Pietro earlier in the week, that after 13 years at the Club (CEO since March 2018), he felt it was the right time to depart.

Victory Chairman, Anthony Di Pietro, thanked Jacobs on behalf of the Board for his extended service and tenure at the Club.

“We would like to thank Trent for his contribution to the Club. He has played a significant role in the growth of Melbourne Victory over a long period of time, driving revenues, strategy and developing new areas of the business,” Di Pietro said.

"He has worked tirelessly during his tenure, particularly through the COVID-19 pandemic and we look forward to properly acknowledging Trent's achievements as the season reaches its conclusion."

Outgoing CEO, Trent Jacobs outlined the timing of his decision.

"With a refresh of our football department due to occur when Tony Popovic takes the helm for next season, now is the right time to depart the Club as it heads towards a new era both on and off the pitch," Jacobs said.

“It has been a very difficult 14 months, in particular through COVID-19, and after reflecting over the past few weeks I made the difficult decision not to continue in the Chief Executive role.

“I want to spend more time with my family, who have supported me incredibly over this period, and take some time to consider my future and next steps. That said, I leave with many wonderful memories, experiences and achievements over the 13 years and thank everyone at the Club for their support."

Following Jacobs’ decision, the Board confirmed that Caroline Carnegie would be stepping in as the Managing Director of the Club.

Carnegie brings a wealth of experience to the role being a current Director and Company Secretary at Melbourne Victory and a Partner at global law firm, K&L Gates. Carnegie will take a hiatus from her legal practice to take on the position.

Carnegie has extensive experience in the sporting industry having worked with several sporting organisations including (among others) North Melbourne Football Club, Melbourne Rebels, Melbourne Renegades and Netball Australia on a range of legal and commercial projects.

She led the legal team for unbundling of the professional leagues, on behalf of the A-League Clubs and is a member of the Football Australia Women's Council.

Her appointment will see her become the first female to lead the administration of a Club in the Australian Professional Football Leagues.

Carnegie has been tasked with completing the review and transformation of Melbourne Victory that is currently underway. This will include developing a new Club strategy, including a succession plan at the appropriate time, in line with the appointment of Tony Popovic.

Carnegie will start immediately, while Jacobs will continue to assist the Club for a number of weeks to facilitate a smooth transition.

With games quickly running out it may be our last chance to get a win this season against Perth tomorrow.
If we can fix our wayward finishing up top, I think we can scrape a 2-1 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back