2020/21 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perth Glory have parted ways with nine of last year’s squad in the inevitable A-League post-season shuffle as they continue to re-build for the next campaign.

They have confirmed that goalkeeper Tando Velaphi, defenders Jason Geria, Dane Ingham, Sebastian Langkamp and Riley Warland, midfielders Neil Kilkenny, Nick Sullivan and Brandon Wilson and forward Nick D’Agostino are moving on.

Welcome to Melbourne Victory.

I hope it's a good game tomorrow but I would prefer neither team wins. Can this happen in any way without people dying?

Lol genuinely didn't realise the season/finals were still going until I scrolled past it this morning on Facebook. Good thing that we chose to stink it up in what will be the most irrelevant season in the league's history.
Definite * against this seasons winners

It's been over 2 months now since Popovic was announced as our new manager moving forward, but does anyone have a link to a presser or interview of him as our new manager? I have looked but can't find anything. Knowing Popovic, he is busy in the background negotiating new players and backroom staff, which is what we want, but surely a few words from him to instil the Victory fans with some hope for next season, after the past 2 disastrous seasons we've had.

Now time for my rant.

Bad enough we have had to sit and watch our three biggest rivals win silverware the last 3 seasons, but to end this season dead last is unforgiveable. Anyone see the pic of Archie holding a wooden spoon last night (that a City fan gave him)? We as Victory fans have to live with that now.

I know Di Pietro loves the club and has done a lot of good things for it in the past, but the wooden spoon is squarely on him. His decisions in the past 2 years, plus covid no doubt, has led to this. But all clubs have had to deal with covid, except maybe City. If Kurz and the no signing of players debacle was not bad enough, we then sign Brebner. Wasn't Mehmet a mistake we should have learnt from FFS? In 2015 we had the most feared and best team in the league. Now look at us. We can't retain our better players eg Barbarousses the ******* w***er, we finished bottom, we get clubbed 6-1 in a semi final, recycled players galore, we have an interim coach Steve Kean criticising our newly appointed manager in waiting. WTF was that FFS? We're supposed to be presenting a united front yet that s**t is going on. As a club we have become an absolute shambles. Don't care about women's football. Again, this has happened on Di Pietro's watch.

Hopefully Popovic is given the funds to sign various quality players. I will be renewing my membership but I will hold off until the week before matchday 1, let them sweat a bit, the dumb campaigners. I have never felt so disconnected with this club. We have become a laughing stock.

Poppa doesn't start until July 1st I believe. So that would explain his silence. As for Archie. Who gives a fu** what he does?

Has the symbolism of Archie holding the spoon been lost on you? He obviously didn't want to hold it, it was given to him because we are the wooden spooners and we will forever have a wooden spoon next to our name. We are supposed to be a big club, yet here are, with a ******* wooden spoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the symbolism of Archie holding the spoon been lost on you? He obviously didn't want to hold it, it was given to him because we are the wooden spooners and we will forever have a wooden spoon next to our name. We are supposed to be a big club, yet here are, with a ******* wooden spoon.

At the end of the day Archie is just a typical wannabe B grade celeb attention seeking whore! He was even posting pictures of him in a Western United top on the social medias when promoting them entering the league at the beginning of last season ffs!

You know that old saying ‘any publicity is good publicity’ thats Archie Thompson these days.

As for the spoon, every club in the history of sport pretty much goes through s**t spells. Its our first yeah most likely wont be our last!

The joys of following a sports team!

Last edited:
Didn't see it. I couldn't care less what a former player, and now member of the media (He's pretty much worn every jumper in the comp now) does.

It's been over 2 months now since Popovic was announced as our new manager moving forward, but does anyone have a link to a presser or interview of him as our new manager? I have looked but can't find anything. Knowing Popovic, he is busy in the background negotiating new players and backroom staff, which is what we want, but surely a few words from him to instil the Victory fans with some hope for next season, after the past 2 disastrous seasons we've had.

Now time for my rant.

Bad enough we have had to sit and watch our three biggest rivals win silverware the last 3 seasons, but to end this season dead last is unforgiveable. Anyone see the pic of Archie holding a wooden spoon last night (that a City fan gave him)? We as Victory fans have to live with that now.

I know Di Pietro loves the club and has done a lot of good things for it in the past, but the wooden spoon is squarely on him. His decisions in the past 2 years, plus covid no doubt, has led to this. But all clubs have had to deal with covid, except maybe City. If Kurz and the no signing of players debacle was not bad enough, we then sign Brebner. Wasn't Mehmet a mistake we should have learnt from FFS? In 2015 we had the most feared and best team in the league. Now look at us. We can't retain our better players eg Barbarousses the ******* w***er, we finished bottom, we get clubbed 6-1 in a semi final, recycled players galore, we have an interim coach Steve Kean criticising our newly appointed manager in waiting. WTF was that FFS? We're supposed to be presenting a united front yet that sh*t is going on. As a club we have become an absolute shambles. Don't care about women's football. Again, this has happened on Di Pietro's watch.

Hopefully Popovic is given the funds to sign various quality players. I will be renewing my membership but I will hold off until the week before matchday 1, let them sweat a bit, the dumb campaigners. I have never felt so disconnected with this club. We have become a laughing stock.

I'll give the club one chance to turn things around. Obviously last season was a bit of a shambles league wise with a compromised schedule. If there was one season to pick where you had to have a s**t season last season was it.

Again, forget that it's Archie. it could have been any former Melboune Victory player working for Fox at the grand final the other night. It could have been kevin Muscat being handed a wooden spoon by a City fan.

The difference is I dont think Kevin Muscat would accept a wooden spoon from anyone, even if it was for a media skit.
The symbolism isn't lost on anyone, we are a basketcase at the moment and it needs to be fixed.

assistants appointed.

Popovic appoints Assistant Coaches
Melbourne Victory is pleased to announce A-League Head Coach, Tony Popovic, has finalised the appointment of his two Assistant Coaches for the 2021/22 season.

Former Serie A player and previous Head Coach of Apololonia Fier, Fabrizio Cammarata, and highly-regarded Australian coach, Luciano Trani, most recently of Sint-Truidense in the Belgian top flight, have been appointed as Assistant Coaches for the upcoming season.

Cammarata has coached in Italy, Russia, Oman and Albania while Trani has a wealth of coaching experience within Australian as well as in Belgium spanning 20 years.

Victory A-League Head Coach, Tony Popovic, said Cammarata and Trani will be key to rebuilding the Victory team and driving success.

“I am extremely pleased to announce that Fabrizio and Luciano will be joining me at Melbourne Victory this season,” Popovic said.

“Both Coaches will bring a unique set of skills to Melbourne Victory,” Popovic said.

“Fabrizio has played at the highest level in Italy and is passionate about how he can contribute to the Club, players and staff.

“He is an ambitious coach who will use his playing and coaching experience to drive our playing group and their work ethic. He sees the role as a huge opportunity for personal growth but also to apply his knowledge to drive success at Melbourne Victory.”

“Luciano and I have worked together at Perth Glory and he is a fantastic person,” Popovic said.

“He has extensive experience within football in Australia and the A-League as well as recent coaching experience from Europe.

“Luciano will be an asset to the team from a cultural point of view as well as through his football knowledge. He knows the areas we need to improve to be successful and he’s ready to bring his experience, knowledge and passion to the club.”

Popovic and Trani’s first official day at Melbourne Victory is today with Cammarata due to start in mid-July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back