2020/21 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Membership update: No more 5 game memberships for kids. Good news though - kids GA membership for the entire season is just 57 bucks!! That's 13 home games for 57 bucks. Might start taking kids every time from now on, I usually would just take them for the 5 games on their membership and the big games (derbies, Sydney FC etc).

Besart has returned to Germany in order to get one last contract in the lower leagues. He wanted to join us this season but Poppa was against it. Disappointing, one last season in the A League would have been ideal for him followed by a stint playing at Dandy Thunder.
agreed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Linked with Savvas Siatravanis formerly of Xanthi who played under Poppa. Was supposed to be joining another Greek club which may be off now.

Kinda leaving it late for imports now with 14 days quarantine plus another potential 10 days in ISO if positive at the end of quarantine.
Him and Kayke are listed on MV wiki page lol

Some reading on this fine spring day in 'Lockdown' Melbourne.. A little about our Spanish signing.

‘He’s a player who is going to fight’ – What Victory fans can expect from Rai Marchan

Tony Popovic’s Victory rebuild was already well underway when the club announced the signing of Spanish midfielder Rai Marchan a little over a month ago.

Having spent his whole career plying his trade in the lower divisions of the Spanish football pyramid, there seemed to be little information available on the new recruit outside of the occasional comment from excited fans of previous clubs.

To try and get an understanding of what we might expect from Victory’s new arrival, Kick360 sat down with Diari D’Andorra and MARCA journalist Adrià Esteban to find out more.

“Rai Marchan is what is known in football as a ‘5’. A player who initiates the ball transition between defence and midfield” says Esteban.

A defensive minded midfielder, Marchan likes to sit deep, acting as an anchor between defence and attack. His ability to read the game ensures he often breaks up play with a well timed interception, though he’s certainly not afraid to put in a tackle or to drop back in to the defensive line when out of possession.

He’s incredibly comfortable with the ball at his feet too, capable of taking a pass under pressure and distributing it amongst his team mates with his impressive passing range.

“He has a good touch on the ball, he is skilled, not very fast and stands out for his positional intelligence. He knows how to play the game very well and gives the team fluidity.”

This intelligence and understanding of the game is undoubtedly a result of his formidable footballing education.

A graduate of the Real Madrid Academy, he continued his development in the reserve sides of some of La Liga’s biggest clubs, including Real Madrid Castilla and Valencia Mestalla, before ultimately arriving at FC Andorra.

Despite being based across the Pyrenees in neighbouring Andorra, the club have played their football within the Spanish system since the last 1940s.

A takeover by Barcelona icon Gerard Pique in 2018 has seen Els Tricolors undergo a rebrand and reach new heights both on and off the field; narrowly missing out on promotion the the Segunda Division in 2021.

An owner is not all they share with the Catalan giants.

“Andorra wants to provide itself with a hallmark that bases its football on the model of FC Barcelona. That is to say, an associative play, with control of the ball, high pressure after loss of the ball and wide open ends on both sides.”

He was a key component of this style of play for much of his time at the club.

“Rai Marchan was one of the team’s captains and had been with the club for more than two years. He was a player loved by the club and respected by his teammates. With the first two coaches, Gabri and Nacho Castro he was a regular player in all the lineups, while with Eder Sarabia he lost weight in the starting eleven.”

Having fallen somewhat out of favour under the new management, the club agreed to terminate his contract a year early, paving the way for his move to the A-League.

Off the pitch, he’s intelligent and well spoken.

“I had the opportunity to interview him once for a report. I think that as a person he is a very sensible and smart guy, interesting to listen to because he knows the ins and outs of football very well.”

Outside of the football, he has a keen interest in the world of business, possessing a graduate qualification in Business Administration from Madrid’s Universidad Camilo José Cela and based on his social media accounts, appears to be a competent English speaker, which bodes well for him settling in quickly at his new club.

While by his own admission Esteban is no expert on football in Australia, he does feel Marchan will give everything to ensure his spell in blue and navy is a successful one.

“I suppose it will be a very enriching experience for him. The more his team has the ball, the more Rai will enjoy and show his football. He is a player who is going to fight to earn the confidence of the coach and I have no doubt that he has not come to Australia on vacation.”

Given the total apathy demonstrated by some of the clubs recent imports, this should make for pleasant reading for weary Victory fans.

Last edited:
I just want to know if any of these rumoured players are actually going to sign.

Concerning that talk of new signings has gone cold. With visa players needing a 14 day quarantine we need any new signings to be with us within the next week or two realistically for them to get a decent pre season under their belt.

Some more lazy reading on a fine spring day in' lockdown Melbourne.' What it means for Stefan Nigro's return back to Melbourne.

Nigro: Representing Victory is a massive honour

Stefan Nigro has returned home to Melbourne Victory for the 2021/22 A-League season, under the new leadership of Head Coach Tony Popovic.
The 25-year-old, who spent last season with Central Coast Mariners, is delighted to continue his journey with his boyhood club.

“When you grow up supporting Victory, it's a dream to play for the Club each week,” Nigro said. “Representing Victory is a massive honour for me and it makes my family extremely proud.”
Victory fans will remember Nigro’s debut in 2016, where he contributed to the 4-0 win over Brisbane Roar with a standout performance.
Alongside his new teammates, Nigro is preparing for a new chapter in his and the Club’s history. “From day one, I could see the level of expectation and the standards being set by the Boss and the staff,” said Nigro.

“Everything we do has a purpose. We have belief and a structure behind our plans. “We’re working hard to have a fantastic season and challenge for the title - ultimately that’s what we want to do"

Nigro will provide another defensive option for Popovic in a Victory squad which has plenty of depth. “I played on the right and left as a full-back when we won the Championship in 2017/18,” said the full-back. “Those are the two spots I can play, but I’m happy to play wherever the Boss wants me.”

Last edited:
Kayke is still linked to the club, out of contract put up a post about Melbourne having goof steak

Roderick Miranda wife has liked the clubs instagram, plus a heap of random Melbourne businesses

Other then then nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back