NCAA 2020/21 - NCAA Bowl Games

Remove this Banner Ad

yet 2016 Ohio State makes it despite not winning their division
2017 Alabama makes it despite not winning their division
2020 Notre Dame makes it despite losing their conference championship

And heck, this happened in the old BCS system too. 2011 Alabama made the natty despite not winning their division

selection is already cheapening it.
LOL

No, it isn't. You're just biased against the powerhouse colleges. You'd prefer to nitpick and make bogus claims those teams weren't deserving of a Top 4 place, rather than just admitting they are the best programs with the best resources, the best coaches, the best recruiting and the best players. One mid-season loss against another powerhouse college doesn't mean they're not top 4 worthy.

Notre Dame lost the ACC championship game and ordinarily, this would've been fatal, except there wasn't another legit top 4 contender.
Maybe Texas A&M... But if the Pac-12 or Big 12 had an undefeated champion (or even a 1 loss champion) they would've got in ahead of Notre Dame.

And the amount of apathy in the game is growing as it becomes more and more monotonous. As much as an expanded playoff can give us an NDSU, or a Mount Union. It also gives everyone a chance.
I agree the NCAAF is getting stale and monotonous with the same handful of teams competing in the playoffs every year. But this has nothing to do with the playoff format and everything to do with their recruiting and resources. That's a different discussion.

^^ Watering down the playoffs is not going to fix that ^^

You did not address my main point: the current playoff format provides enormous interest throughout the college football season as teams negotiate their way through the minefield and attempt to remain undefeated in order to qualify for the Top 4. One loss and you are in big big trouble. Your fate is no longer in your own hands. You're relying on other teams to lose and for the playoff committee to look favourably upon your strength of schedule.

So in this sense, the playoffs actually begin in September and continue right through October, November and December.

INTENSE interest in every big game throughout the season.

But you would take all this away. You would prefer to make the season largely meaningless just so the 12th best team has a flukey chance of providing an upset in an expanded January tournament.

Pffffft.

Look at March Madness. The stories in the tourney are amazing.
Look at the 2017-18 Loyola-Ramblers team. 28-5 in the MVFC. Win their conference tourney, make it to the tourney, then rack off upset after upset and make the final 4.
Or in that very same year, seeing 16 seeded 24-10 UMBC take down the 31-2 Virginia team.
Or the 2005-06 George Mason team making the final 4
Or the 2010-12 Butler teams making the title game

I'd happily take 2-3 more blowouts if I get a cinderella team.

I'd back in the 2009-10 TCU teams in being able to win the natty
I'd back in the 2010-11 Boise State teams being able to win the natty
I'd back in the 2017 UCF team in being able to compete in the playoff

Why rob us of that for 1 or 2 games.
Meh... Who cares about cinderella teams? What are ya? A jaded sports reporter?

Most people just want to see the 2 best teams go head to head for the national title.

The NCAA basketball tournament is more of a lucky dip than a true indicator of the nation's best college team.
The NCAAF is much better at determining the true national champion every year.

The BCS National Championship game and the current CFP top 4 system has provided numerous thrilling contests between the very best teams
The only people complaining about it are the butt.hurt fans of teams who miss the top 4 (and weren't worthy anyway of being crowned national champions)

I'd personally just go the 10 conference champs... and if I had to, 2 at large

Every game still means something as you have to make the bloody championship to begin with, cant do that with losses.
Nope.

1) it would be just as monotonous, if not more so, with Alabama and Ohio State qualifying EVERY SINGLE YEAR, either in 1st place (with 0 losses), or in 4th (with 1 loss), or in 10th place (with 2 losses.) You'd be removing all their incentive to be perfect through the year. They could just build their season slowly, take 1 or 2 early losses and then peak at the right time. (Which, of course, is EXACTLY what they'd do every year, if given an expanded playoff format.)

2) The reality is that it's far more likely that 2 teams from within one of the power 5 conferences are legitimately among the best 4 teams in the country than one of the winners of the "non power conferences". Far more likely that the deserving top 4 teams include Alabama/Georgia, or LSU/Florida, or Ohio State/Penn State, or Clemson/Miami, or Texas/Oklahoma than the likes of Cincinnati, UCF, BYU, Boise State, Houston

But I am sympathetic to your barracking interests... There does need to be an overhaul to the way colleges organise their own scheduling. More inter-conference games to give undefeated teams from the lesser conferences the chance to build a resumé to put them in playoff contention. Maybe the Top 3 teams from the AAC, Mountain West, Mid-American, Sun Belt and USA Conferences are given a mandatory game (or 2) against the Top 3 teams from each of the power conferences.

^^This would be a better way to give the likes of Boise State, UCF, BYU, Cincinnati or Houston the chance to compete for a National title, rather than throwing open the Top 4 playoffs for a watered-down tournament for 8, 10, or 16 teams.

Last edited:
The problem with expanding the playoffs is that there isn’t enough good teams to do so.

Usually only 2 or 3 teams standout. The rest are just average teams that look good in their own crap conferences.

The problem with expanding the playoffs is that there isn’t enough good teams to do so.

Usually only 2 or 3 teams standout. The rest are just average teams that look good in their own crap conferences.
the counter argument is that with more teams the recruits wont just pick the same 3 schools every year.

Dirty Bird the dream is dead

I was always happy with Andy Avalos as a plan B

Plan C (Jeff Choate) I'm not as sold on

But a darkhorse seems to be Tom Herman now. I would enjoy that. And the AD we signed today (Jeramiah Dickey) signed him at Houston, so i guess it is plausible

the counter argument is that with more teams the recruits wont just pick the same 3 schools every year.
Swings and roundabouts - In the 00s, the powers of the recruiting world were USC, Texas & Florida with Bama dominating late with Saban. No-coincidence they were the teams winning the Natty. Do we expand again if Clemson goes back to being a regional team, OSU start to slip and post Saban era really sucks?

Exactly.

We all know ND, Oklahoma & TA&M all aren't on Bama's level yet we want to reward them ALL with a shot at the natty? Baffling.

Look at March Madness. The stories in the tourney are amazing.
Look at the 2017-18 Loyola-Ramblers team. 28-5 in the MVFC. Win their conference tourney, make it to the tourney, then rack off upset after upset and make the final 4.
Or in that very same year, seeing 16 seeded 24-10 UMBC take down the 31-2 Virginia team.
Or the 2005-06 George Mason team making the final 4
Or the 2010-12 Butler teams making the title game

I'd happily take 2-3 more blowouts if I get a cinderella team.

I'd back in the 2009-10 TCU teams in being able to win the natty
I'd back in the 2010-11 Boise State teams being able to win the natty
I'd back in the 2017 UCF team in being able to compete in the playoff

Why rob us of that for 1 or 2 games.
DB - this is called the regular season of which many of the top bluebloods pummel the FCS or no good Cinderellas 70-3.

For your 1 v 16 games, this is usually catered for via the conference championship games.

End of the day

Success = recruits = more success

Some believe that you need to grow to beat them and there's nothing wrong. I can see why others view that.

But I believe allowing more to succeed shares the load and more can recruit.

More players might go to USC or Oregon or Stanford if the Pac-12 had a clear path every year.
This then weakens your Oklahoma or Alabama

Then when teams like Kansas State or Mississippi State can close that gap and compete with them, they can then improve their recruiting and even out the competition even more.

We just need to find the perfect balance.

If you go too large and allow too many at large in, you create a bigger gap between g5 and p5. Killing off half the competition and then destroying interest in the regular season

But if you go too soft and stick with the status quo, you upset even more people. It's fine if you're a fan of Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Michigan, Georgia, Florida State, Clemson etc. as you're on the inside and protected. But if you're a Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Boston College, Rutgers, Maryland, Stanford, Arizona etc. fan you're on the outside and excluded with a huge mountain to climb.

What is needed is the perfect middle ground.

What I feel are acceptable are
8 team playoff, 5 p5 champs, 1 g5 champ, 2 at large
12 team playoff, 10 champs, 2 at large

Anything less than 8 doesnt break the system
Anything more than 12 creates the problem people fear.

Id love all 5 g5 champs in, but to do that would mean 16 teams minimum, and I do agree, doing that means 6 at large get in. Unworthy teams will get in and make it s**t that way.

I've always wanted expansion in the playoffs - and some years the 4 seed is dog turds and other times a real contender. Can't really make a strong case for anyone this season - but it really does depend on the year.

The past few years have pretty much been on rinse & repeat with Bama, Clemson, Ohio being in. So more teams would be good to give the others a chance to compete.

Id go to 6, 1&2 get a bye 3v6 4v5. No more than 2 teams from a conference.

CFP_Megacast_PROMO_ALA_OSU-780x470.png

Megacast info

CFP Live debuts this year on ESPN2, utilizing the NFL Live crew of Laura Rutledge, Marcus Spears, Dan Orlovsky and Mina Kimes to bring their trademark analysis and wit to Championship Monday. Joining the quartet is ESPN college football analyst and NFL Draft expert Todd McShay, who will provide Draft projections and analysis throughout the game.

Film Room returns to the National Championship MegaCast on ESPNEWS, with SEC Network college football analyst and former BCS Champion head coach Gene Chizik, Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson, Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze and North Carolina A&T’s Sam Washington joining the telecast. Follow every play of Alabama-Ohio State through the minds of those who live and breathe the game every day. Please note: the lineup of coaches is subject to change.

MegaCast mainstay SkyCast moves to ESPNU this year, with Jason Fitz and Mike Golic Jr. providing commentary and context out of commercial breaks before throwing back to the sounds of the game. The popular view from above the action and behind the offense on most plays will also have replays shown regularly throughout the presentation. Additionally, the Skycam viewing option will also be available in 4K on DIRECTV, Comcast and Optimum thanks to Samsung QLED.

• Command Center (ESPN App)
    Multi-angle presentation, which includes up to four different vantage points at any one time, with statistics and real-time drive charts supplementing the game action.
  • DataCenter (ESPN App)
    A catch-all viewing option, as ESPN’s main telecast will be surrounded by real-time stats, analytics, social media commentary and player information. ESPN commentators Zubin Mehenti and Brad Edwards will be featured on the feed.
  • Hometown Radio (SEC Network and ESPN App)
    Fans can listen to the local radio broadcast of each team, with their audio feed synced up with ESPN’s presentation. This MegaCast feed is made possible in conjunction with Alabama Radio Network Powered by Learfield/IMG College and Ohio State Sports Network Powered by Learfield/IMG College.
    • Alabama (SEC Network): Eli Gold, John Parker Wilson, Rashad Johnson and Chris Stewart
    • Ohio State (ESPN App): Paul Keels, Jim Lachey, Matt Andrews and Skip Mosic
  • Refcast (ESPN App)
    John Parry (former NFL referee) and Matt Austin (former SEC referee) join Arizona State head coach Herm Edwards and ESPN commentator Jason Benetti to break down the game, as Parry and Austin provide reaction and commentary from a referee’s perspective.
  • All-22 (ESPN App)
    Watch the game the same way players and coaches study film, with a vantage point high above the field of play. The angle allows for the 22 players on the field to be seen at all times, providing the ability to distinguish how plays develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andy Avalos named as head coach of Boise State

Probably the logical hire all along.

So our 5 options seemed to be

1. Kellen Moore (Dallas Cowboys OC)
2. Andy Avalos (Oregon Ducks DC)
3. Jeff Choate (Montana State HC)
daylight (ie. got an interview, but didnt reach the final stage)
4. Graham Harrell (USC OC)
5. Brian Johnson (Florida OC)

I would've been happy with Avalos and Johnson
Would've been excited but concerned with Moore and Choate
Didnt want Harrell

And we sign the OC from UC Davis to be our new OC.

Not a bad offence.

In his 3 years as UC

Games he failed to score 30

2017 - 5-6 season
17 points at FBS San Diego State
3 points at #5 Weber State
23 points at #14 Southern Utah
2018 - 10-3 season
10 points at FBS Stanford
20 points at #2 Eastern Washington
23 points vs #23 Northern Iowa
29 points at #2 Eastern Washington
2019 - 5-7 season
13 points at FBS California
16 points at #1 North Dakota State
20 points vs #6 Montana
20 points vs #3 Weber State
17 points vs #4 Montana State
17 points at #9 Sacramento State

Scores 30 in 23 of 36 games, and the 13 he fails, 3 were at FBS schools, 8 were against top 10 FCS programs, and the other 2 were still against top 25 programs.

Fields needs to run more.
Problem is 1 decent hit could end his night and also end any chance Ohio have of winning if he gets hurt.

He is banged up as it is!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back