2020/21 Scottish Football Thread - On beIN Sports

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Who will be going down? And who will be coming up?
Hearts are a shoe in to come up. Killie are a mess at the moment and Hamilton are always battlers. Reckon one or both could be playing a division down next year. It would be the first relegation in almost 30 years for Kilmarnock if it happens.

Who will be going down? And who will be coming up?
Hearts are certainties for promotion back to the Premiership and on recent form Kilmarnock look the most likely to go down to the Championship. Because Motherwell (in ninth) have a gap between themselves, Ross County and Hamilton, it will probably be either the Staggies or Accies who "qualify" for the playoffs, and on recent form they should be good enough to win a playoff series against a team like Raith, or Queen Of The South.

Ross County and Hamilton both have a game in hand over Motherwell and Dundee United (against Hibernian (H) and Livingston (A) respectively) and if both can pull off victories it will make the final six weeks of the Premiership very interesting. At the bottom of the table anyway. :)

Last edited:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Hearts are certainties for promotion back to the Premiership and on recent form Kilmarnock look the most likely to go down to the Championship. Because Motherwell (in ninth) have a gap between themselves, Ross County and Hamilton it will probably be either the Staggies or Accies who "qualify" for the playoffs, and on recent form they should be good enough to win a playoff series against a team like Raith, or Quuen Of The South.

Ross County and Hamilton both have a game in hand over Motherwell and Dundee United (against Hibernian (H) and Livingston (A) respectively) and if both can pull off victories it will make the final six weeks of the Premiership very interesting. At the bottom of the table anyway. :)
Bottom of the table is almost always more interesting in the spfl. Games against hibs and Livingston will be difficult to get 3 from each. Although hibs have been hit and miss of late.

Bottom of the table is almost always more interesting in the spfl. Games against hibs and Livingston will be difficult to get 3 from each. Although hibs have been hit and miss of late.
It is, except when your team is in the battle, then it can be a little nerve-racking.

Ross County have recently beaten Aberdeen and Celtic, twice, so they have been in decent form, so I give them a chance against Hibs which probably means we'll be flogged. :)

Hamilton have gained at least one point in four of their last five games and Livingston have only gained a point in their last five games, so I give Hamilton a real chance as well.

They are the only two games this weekend, the following weekend is the final round before the split.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Can any of you experts help me with the following about Scottish Premiership League Clubs into Europe ?

Rangers & Celtic go into the Champions League Qualifiers
Hibs and Aberdeen go into EUFA Europa Conference League
The Cup Winner goes into Europa League.

4 games to go., including today’s fixture
Livingston (44 pts) can replace Aberdeen (52 pts) but won’t overtake Hibs (56 pts) unless Hibs lose all 4 remaining games and then they’d be on equal points.
St Johnstone (40) theoretically can replace Aberdeen if Aberdeen loses all 4 of its remaining games but both on ht same number of points,.

Is all of that correct ?

What happens
(a) if either of Rangers or Celtic win the Cup (both Hibs and Aberdeen are already out); and
(b) where the 4th placed team is on the same number of points as the 5th placed team ?

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can any of you experts help me with the following about Scottish Premiership League Clubs into Europe ?

Rangers & Celtic go into the Champions League Qualifiers
Hibs and Aberdeen go into EUFA Europa Conference League
The Cup Winner goes into Europa League.

4 games to go., including today’s fixture
Livingston (44 pts) can replace Aberdeen (52 pts) but won’t overtake Hibs (56 pts) unless Hibs lose all 4 remaining games and then they’d be on equal points.
St Johnstone (40) theoretically can replace Aberdeen if Aberdeen loses all 4 of its remaining games but both on ht same number of points,.

Is all of that correct ?

What happens
(a) if either of Rangers or Celtic win the Cup (both Hibs and Aberdeen are already out); and
(b) where the 4th placed team is on the same number of points as the 5th placed team ?

I think you'll find both Hibs and Aberdeen are very much alive in the Scottish Cup.
It's Celtic that didn't make the Quarter Finals.
Quarters:
Hibs v Motherwell
Aberdeen v Dundee Utd
Rangers v St Johnstone
Kilmarnock v St Mirren

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I think you'll find both Hibs and Aberdeen are very much alive in the Scottish Cup.
It's Celtic that didn't make the Quarter Finals.
Quarters:
Hibs v Motherwell
Aberdeen v Dundee Utd
Rangers v St Johnstone
Kilmarnock v St Mirren
Thankyou , Occidental, I could have sworn that Hibs was eliminated a while back, ditto Aberdeen. Is there another Cup that at least Hibs would have been eliminated from ?

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thankyou , Occidental, I could have sworn that Hibs was eliminated a while back, ditto Aberdeen. Is there another Cup that at least Hibs would have been eliminated from ?
Yep, the Scottish League Cup.
This year all the "big" clubs were eliminated, leaving the Final as St Johnstone v Livingston.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
MOURINHO ENTERS CELTIC COACHING RACE
Mourinho is in the mix to be the new coach of Scottish powerhouse Celtic according to The Sun.

Former Bournemouth coach Eddie Howe is the favourite to be appointed Neil Lennon's replacement at Celtic Park.

But 'The Special One' is in contention, despite his hefty wage demands and line of suitors

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
MOURINHO ENTERS CELTIC COACHING RACE
Mourinho is in the mix to be the new coach of Scottish powerhouse Celtic according to The Sun.

Former Bournemouth coach Eddie Howe is the favourite to be appointed Neil Lennon's replacement at Celtic Park.

But 'The Special One' is in contention, despite his hefty wage demands and line of suitors
Forgive the uninformed but who is "The Special One" ?

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
, he was recently sacked from tottenham, and has also coached Man U, Chelsea (twice), Inter, and Real Madrid.
Thanks, acm21, now why would a bloke who has coached a big Club, 'Spurs, in the EPl, take on a Scottish club ?, isn't that like, say, Hardwick taking on Northern Bullants ?

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks, acm21, now why would a bloke who has coached a big Club, 'Spurs, in the EPl, take on a Scottish club ?, isn't that like, say, Hardwick taking on Northern Bullants ?
Who knows, thought it was funny when I saw it.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Who knows, thought it was funny when I saw it.
thanks for your replies. If you'll slip up to post 106 and take it a bit further than occidental did, some time, I'll be grateful. I quite like the Scottish Premiership League, a recent discovery, because it's contained and has a humour about it, even the names of the clubs are eccentric. Hibs supporters are what caught my eye.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
thanks for your replies. If you'll slip up to post 106 and take it a bit further than occidental did, some time, I'll be grateful. I quite like the Scottish Premiership League, a recent discovery, because it's contained and has a humour about it, even the names of the clubs are eccentric. Hibs supporters are what caught my eye.
Yeah the Scottish leagues are great, especially once you get past the big 2clubs. You see a bit of similarities with the lower league clubs in England, but its definitely unique.

I've taken this from a recent BBC article, with the Scottish league gaining an extra place this year.

The Scottish champions will be in the third qualifying round - two ties from the group stage - and the runners-up will enter a round earlier.
The Scottish Cup winners will enter the Europa League third qualifying round.
And the teams that finish third and fourth in the league will be in the new Europa Conference League.

From the current ladder:

• Rangers will enter the 3rd Qualifying round
  • Celtic will enter the 2nd Qualifying round
  • The Scottish Cup, which is different to the league cup, is in the quarters atm with Motherwell/Hibs, Aberdeen/Dundee United, Rangers/St Johnstone and Kilmarnock/St Mirren still live.
  • Hibs and Aberdeen have a place in the conference league.
From the English system if they have already qualified for a European league they will enter the higher league, with the next place team in the table taking the cup winners place (if it were to be hibs or Aberdeen winning the cup I assume Livingstone will take the winners place); also could see the runner up taking the place. Not quite sure tbh.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Jose's stocks have fallen bad. A better comparison is Malthouse trying to get another senior gig.

It won't happen but given Celtic's size and lack of competition it's not the worst place to try and revive a coaching career.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Jose's stocks have fallen bad. A better comparison is Malthouse trying to get another senior gig.

It won't happen but given Celtic's size and lack of competition it's not the worst place to try and revive a coaching career.
He would still want similar money, more likely to take the Portugal job. As cocky as Malthouse as well.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Yeah the Scottish leagues are great, especially once you get past the big 2clubs. You see a bit of similarities with the lower league clubs in England, but its definitely unique.

I've taken this from a recent BBC article, with the Scottish league gaining an extra place this year.

The Scottish champions will be in the third qualifying round - two ties from the group stage - and the runners-up will enter a round earlier.
The Scottish Cup winners will enter the Europa League third qualifying round.
And the teams that finish third and fourth in the league will be in the new Europa Conference League.

From the current ladder:

• Rangers will enter the 3rd Qualifying round
  • Celtic will enter the 2nd Qualifying round
  • The Scottish Cup, which is different to the league cup, is in the quarters atm with Motherwell/Hibs, Aberdeen/Dundee United, Rangers/St Johnstone and Kilmarnock/St Mirren still live.
  • Hibs and Aberdeen have a place in the conference league.
From the English system if they have already qualified for a European league they will enter the higher league, with the next place team in the table taking the cup winners place (if it were to be hibs or Aberdeen winning the cup I assume Livingstone will take the winners place); also could see the runner up taking the place. Not quite sure tbh.
Thakyou for that, acm21, enlightening

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I like the idea of the Split. In the AFL, in some years you get a last round where one team can't make the finals and the other's place in the 8 can't change and its players don't want to get reported or injured. Watching grass grow stuff.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I see that Hibs v Motherwell is to be played on Sunday and at Easter Road. On the ladder positions, you'd expect Hibs to win that but I'm sure it's more complicated than that

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I see that Hibs v Motherwell is to be played on Sunday and at Easter Road. On the ladder positions, you'd expect Hibs to win that but I'm sure it's more complicated than that
I hope motherwell win. Should be a good game, both teams have been playing really well; unfortunately I don't think it will be screend here.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Motherwell website indicates that there's a way of viewing through a service it offers, it looked like an annual subscription of some sort.

Back