2020/21 Scottish Football Thread - On beIN Sports

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
OK stats gurus.....
When was the last time Celtic and Rangers both missed the League Cup & Scottish Cup Finals in the same year?

I think it brilliant! Getting some other clubs and fans some silverware for all their struggles.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Cup semis. Nicely balanced. 2 from the Relegation half, 2 from the top half. The Draw might end up reflecting the Split.

OK stats gurus.....
When was the last time Celtic and Rangers both missed the League Cup & Scottish Cup Finals in the same year?

I think it brilliant! Getting some other clubs and fans some silverware for all their struggles.
2013/14.
Scottish FA Cup - St. Johnstone def Dundee United 2-0
League Cup - Aberdeen def Inverness 0-0 (4-2 on penalties)

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
3 of the 4 quarter finals decided by penalty shootout. Hibs v Dundee; St Johnstone v St Nirren in the semi finals. weekend of 8 May.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
3 of the 4 quarter finals decided by penalty shootout. Hibs v Dundee; St Johnstone v St Nirren in the semi finals. weekend of 8 May.

Hibernian v Dundee United
St Johnstone v St Mirren

Surely Hibs can't stuff up this golden chance.....
They've only won 3 in their history 1887, 1902 and 2016.
Waited 114 years until 2016. Lets grab another please.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Hibernian v Dundee United
St Johnstone v St Mirren

Surely Hibs can't stuff up this golden chance.....
They've only won 3 in their history 1887, 1902 and 2016.
Waited 114 years until 2016. Lets grab another please.
Dundee was the only clear winner in the quarter finals, didn't have to resort of penalty shootout over Aberdeen which is only 6 points adrift of Hibs. The other thing that's interesting about Hibs is its 2 socceroos, Irvine scoring one of its 2 goals against Motherwell.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Dundee beaten 0 3 by Ross County, Hibs 0 1 by St Johnstone. Should we read anything into that ?
Only 2 rounds left, so not much will make a difference at this point. 12 points between Aberdeen and St Johnson, most interesting game will be Aberdeen and hibs. Both hibs and Aberdeen have to play Celtic and Rangers respectively.

Regulation will be more interactive. Ross County, Kilmarnock and Hamilton are the only ones who can be regulated at this point. Ross County should be safe with a win against Hamilton, while Kilmarnock will be challenged against St mirren.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Only 2 rounds left, so not much will make a difference at this point. 12 points between Aberdeen and St Johnson, most interesting game will be Aberdeen and hibs. Both hibs and Aberdeen have to play Celtic and Rangers respectively.

Regulation will be more interactive. Ross County, Kilmarnock and Hamilton are the only ones who can be regulated at this point. Ross County should be safe with a win against Hamilton, while Kilmarnock will be challenged against St mirren.
I was thinking about the Cup, not the League. Hibs are in Europe already in the League but the Cup is different, it's a pointer to this year's AFL flag.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
[QUOTE="Johnny Karate, post: 69887869, member: 161660"

Roses are red, Glasgow is Blue...
[/QUOTE]
Is that sung to the tune of "the sash me father wore" ?

Both are out of the Cup, an Evrton supporting Liverpudlian mate of mine reckons Hibs are the best of the 4 remaining. Any commentary on this weekend's home and away and the Cup prelims (using AFL terminology) ?

Dundee United 0 Ross County 2

Big away win for the Staggies, we leapfrog Kilmarnock into 10th and out of the relegation playoff position. Our second-last game for the season is at home against the last placed Hamilton. A win, and a Kilmarnock defeat against St Mirren and the Staggies live to fight another season.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Could Dundee have had their minds on the semis, a sho at not only the Cup but a place in Europa? Nobody wants to get a card or injured ?

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
St Mirren, Livingston, Hamilton Academical and Ross County fail to fulfil the required criteria for European football.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
So Ross County need a point against motherwell or Kilmarnock to loose or draw against Hamilton in order to be safe.

The Staggies have won their last two and are in decent form, even with our Manager suspended in the stands, so I'm confident we can earn a point and stay in the Premiership for a ninth season. That said if we lose and Kilmarnock win, I'm confident we can defeat the Championship teams in the playoff series.

Another Highland team, Cove Rangers were knocked out the Championship playoff series on Tuesday, 4-3 on agg., against Airdrieonians. Greenock play Airdrie in the finals starting next Tuesday for the final spot in next seasons Championship. It would have been nice to see a third Highland team climb from the Highland League to the Championship after Ross County and ICT. :( Maybe next year.

I know ICT never played in the Highland League, but they were formed by merging two Highland League teams when they entered the Football League in 1994.

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Manager suspended and not allowed on the sidelines, Championship, Championship play-offs, highland teams, ICT ..all very intriguing

THE STAGGIES STAY UP.

Ross County defeated Motherwell 2-1 yesterday to finish the season in 10th, and will ply their trade in the Premiership for the ninth time in ten years. Not a bad effort for a club that plays out of a village 5500 people.

Hamilton have been relegated, while Kilmarnock will play Dundee in the playoff series.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Dundee beat Kilmarnock in the first leg 2-1 (away from home). Won't be easy to come back

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Lacking the familiarity with Scottish football you blokes have, I'm keenly looking forward to tomorrow's Scottish Cup, Hibs v St Johnstone. In 2016, Hibs and Leicester broke big droughts, as did the 'Dogs. Leicester won the Double this year, that's better thn the league in 2016. If Hibs get up, it's a massive omen for the 'Dogs but given UK lockdown, the joyous songs won't erupt on youtube. Are there any pubs in Melbouorne showing the game ?

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Lacking the familiarity with Scottish football you blokes have, I'm keenly looking forward to tomorrow's Scottish Cup, Hibs v St Johnstone. In 2016, Hibs and Leicester broke big droughts, as did the 'Dogs. Leicester won the Double this year, that's better thn the league in 2016. If Hibs get up, it's a massive omen for the 'Dogs but given UK lockdown, the joyous songs won't erupt on youtube. Are there any pubs in Melbouorne showing the game ?
If you find a nice Scottish pub you may find something. Might be good to see if there is a locsl fan group of either side.

Back