2020/21 W-League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Deserved winners. Dominated the game and on another day would have won it comfortably. Took a strong goalkeeping display from Whyman and bad luck to not break the deadlock in regulation time. De Vanna, Longo and Ayres dominated up front and Cooney-Cross was brilliant in midfield. Two straight grand final losses for Sydney by 1-0.

Brilliant, deserved win.

W League seems as Sydney-centric as A League - surely Longo, Morrison or Doran were the POTM. All I remember of Sydney's keeper was her making an incredible double save and then making a big error that won the game for Victory. The rest of her work involved standard keeping and watching the ball clatter off the crossbar. I swear she got the award because the Sydney-focused commentators were bigging her up during extra time.

Brilliant, deserved win.

W League seems as Sydney-centric as A League - surely Longo, Morrison or Doran were the POTM. All I remember of Sydney's keeper was her making an incredible double save and then making a big error that won the game for Victory. The rest of her work involved standard keeping and watching the ball clatter off the crossbar. I swear she got the award because the Sydney-focused commentators were bigging her up during extra time.
Keeper couldn't do much to stop that goal. Easy to argue that the Sydney defenders contributed to the goal, with the Keeper not able to do much to stop it. From all reports victory deserved the win, and maybe the fact that Sydney held on for so long (and with the Keeper producing brilliant saves most of the night) meant that she did deserve it.

Keeper couldn't do much to stop that goal. Easy to argue that the Sydney defenders contributed to the goal, with the Keeper not able to do much to stop it. From all reports victory deserved the win, and maybe the fact that Sydney held on for so long (and with the Keeper producing brilliant saves most of the night) meant that she did deserve it.

Anytime a goal is scored directly from a corner, the keeper is at fault, barring a calamity like a team-mate knocking the keeper over.

Did you actually watch the game? Victory had a total of six shots on target; so apart from the amazing double-save and the one-hander, the Sydney keeper made three other saves in 120 minutes, none of which were anything but standard. Victory's midfield bossed the game from the first minute - that's 120 minutes of running, control and discipline. Incredible that one of them didn't get the award.

Anytime a goal is scored directly from a corner, the keeper is at fault, barring a calamity like a team-mate knocking the keeper over.

Did you actually watch the game? Victory had a total of six shots on target; so apart from the amazing double-save and the one-hander, the Sydney keeper made three other saves in 120 minutes, none of which were anything but standard. Victory's midfield bossed the game from the first minute - that's 120 minutes of running, control and discipline. Incredible that one of them didn't get the award.
Was not saying that the victory didn't deserve the potm, they probably did but I didn't see enough of the game to make my own opinion. From what I've see victory were deserved champions and the fact that the Sydney Keeper made 6 saves, some which were to a high quality may have had an affect on the voting, also that she was able to hold on a formidable victory midfield for 120 minutes.

I can't see blame for the goal being given to the goalkeeper, it was a good strike and the Sydney defence didn't help, from my point of view.

Whyman also fluffed a regulation goal keeper catch that Bunge couldn't put in the net. I don't know whether it was a Sydney-centric commentator team that gave her the nod (I had the Foxtel coverage on, which had Speed, Harper and Amy Chapman on the commentary; I understand that Brantz led the commentary team for the ABC), but I think she made some eye-catching saves over the course of the 120 minutes. I would have given it to Cooney-Cross, personally. She was the most consistently dangerous player for either team and obviously scored the winning goal.

Whyman also fluffed a regulation goal keeper catch that Bunge couldn't put in the net. I don't know whether it was a Sydney-centric commentator team that gave her the nod (I had the Foxtel coverage on, which had Speed, Harper and Amy Chapman on the commentary; I understand that Brantz led the commentary team for the ABC), but I think she made some eye-catching saves over the course of the 120 minutes. I would have given it to Cooney-Cross, personally. She was the most consistently dangerous player for either team and obviously scored the winning goal.

How far away is she from a national call-up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back