Prediction 2020 AFC Best and Fairest - Congratulations Reilly O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, who was the woman in the yellow dress doing the mc work? Admittedly I only saw bits and pieces, but had condescending school teacher vibe that I found really grating.

B Crouch was shite like the rest of the mids early on remember. Then injured. Played pretty well after returning, coincidentally just as the entire midfield started playing better.

Brown and Hartigan surprising. The rest about right.

Good on Keays and McAdam.

Think macca was deserving of the emerging talent as well. Solid as a rock. He looks way older then he is and it's easy to forget just how inexperienced he is.

Thoughts on the data:

- Well done to David Mackay for finishing in the top 10 for VPG for the first time ever. Had a good season

- We should force Brad Crouch out because we don't rate him that much higher than Keays who will be on a bargain contract.

- Hartigan finished WELL above Talia. Should we keep him? We don't seem to think Butts or McAsey are ready based on the voting

- Poholke, Frampton and Crocker are finished. Can't see Seedsman getting games either into the future

- Outstanding job by McAdam to elevate into 10th on VPG in his debut season, above Sloane, Talia, Brad, and Smith

- The club rates the impact of Sholl and McPherson and I think both polled very well for first season players.

- Smith had a stinker of a season

- Walker is cooked and the club didn't rate his impact

- Concerns for McHenry, Jones and Fogarty who didn't poll well. Fogarty finishing below Walker who had a bad season isn't great. Jones had a number of "1" games which seems to be the new "terrible" game, in fact he had a few in a row without being dropped. Seems we are backing him in

- Schoenberg was hot and cold so ended up with an average result

Will be nice for Milera to have a full season.

Hartigan & Mackay rated highly & more than Talia?

Why couldn't Davis get another game?

Youngsters rated well - McAdam, Himmelberg, Keays, Sholl, McPherson, Schoenberg.

Need more from after a big preseason - McAsey, Hamilll (?), Jones, Fogarty, McHenry

Edit - forgot Hamill was impacted by 2x KO games.

Last edited:
Hey, who was the woman in the yellow dress doing the mc work? Admittedly I only saw bits and pieces, but had condescending school teacher vibe that I found really grating.

Thought she was ok seems as she had to talk to pissed footy players all night.

Best 22 as decided by how the coaches voted. Chosen by inserting players into positions based on their VPG ranking

B Brown - Hartigan - McPherson
HB Mackay - Talia - Doedee
C Milera - Sloane - Keays
HF Lynch - Walker - Murphy
F McAdam - Himmelberg - Stengle
R O'Brien - Laird - M. Crouch

I B. Crouch - Sholl - Smith - Schoenberg

Walker and Murphy extremely lucky to make the team, based purely on lack of highly rated forward players

E Kelly - Butts - Hamill - Seedsman

Next in line: McHenry, Fogarty, Jones, Crocker

Way back in line: Frampton, Poholke, McAsey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McHenry, Jones, Fog and McAsey. All first rounders, not pretty.
Not pretty at all really. I'm hoping McAsey will come on and Fogarty needs a massive preseason as it's make or break for him next year. McHenry and Jones were not good picks at all especially based on the players around them that we missed out on. Lucky we hit the jackpot with Hamill, McPherson, Sholl, McAdam, Himmelberg. Schoenberg.
Worrell, Gollant, O'Connor look like they have potential as well.

Last edited:
Genuinely makes me feel sick thinking back to this obscene period.
I'm pretty sure Pyke knew what the score was regarding ROB surpassing Jacobs. Internal politics at footy clubs can lead to some weird decisions sometimes. Playing Jacobs in that last game didn't make any sense on the surface. I wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

I'm pretty sure Pyke knew what the score was regarding ROB surpassing Jacobs. Internal politics at footy clubs can lead to some weird decisions sometimes. Playing Jacobs in that last game didn't make any sense on the surface. I wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Vaguely remember it being 200 game related.

Top 10

Reilly O’Brien – 81
Rory Laird – 80
Luke Brown – 76
Matt Crouch – 72
Ben Keays – 65
Brodie Smith – 61
Shane McAdam – 56
Kyle Hartigan – 54
Tom Lynch – 53
Rory Sloane – 51

Astonished Hartigan and Sloane finished above Talia.
It’s not astonishing at all.

Here is my absolute best attempt at scaling the 2020 voting system to match the 2019-2016 seasons so we can compare players and get a look at the whole list. The scaling formula is based on how the coaches voted in wins vs losses and how they assessed good games vs bad games. It's not perfect but people might find the results interesting at the very least

1601049586862.png

Vaguely remember it being 200 game related.

That was the second to last game.

Inexplicably we kept him in for the following (dead rubber) game.

Thoughts on the data:

- Well done to David Mackay for finishing in the top 10 for VPG for the first time ever. Had a good season

- We should force Brad Crouch out because we don't rate him that much higher than Keays who will be on a bargain contract.

- Hartigan finished WELL above Talia. Should we keep him? We don't seem to think Butts or McAsey are ready based on the voting

- Poholke, Frampton and Crocker are finished. Can't see Seedsman getting games either into the future

- Outstanding job by McAdam to elevate into 10th on VPG in his debut season, above Sloane, Talia, Brad, and Smith

- The club rates the impact of Sholl and McPherson and I think both polled very well for first season players.

- Smith had a stinker of a season

- Walker is cooked and the club didn't rate his impact

- Concerns for McHenry, Jones and Fogarty who didn't poll well. Fogarty finishing below Walker who had a bad season isn't great. Jones had a number of "1" games which seems to be the new "terrible" game, in fact he had a few in a row without being dropped. Seems we are backing him in

- Schoenberg was hot and cold so ended up with an average result
Pretty ordinary polling by Tex and he’s a must keep for 2021 when he’s a year older and slower? Don’t get it.

Club wasn’t unhappy with Davis’s one and only game so what happened during the covid break to write him off for the season?

Milera polled well early, kept that up and he could have won it.

Gees they didn’t rate Atkins games at all.

How did Sloane poll so high?

That was the second to last game.

Inexplicably we kept him in for the following (dead rubber) game.

Ah yes .... makes sense.....

On another note, ROB is going to be an A Grader - he is well on the way. Extremely glad we did not try and get Grundy last year despite all the people squaking for it on here. ROB will be an all australian within the next 24 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back