Prediction 2020 AFC Best and Fairest - Congratulations Reilly O'Brien!

Top 10

Reilly O’Brien – 81
Rory Laird – 80
Luke Brown – 76
Matt Crouch – 72
Ben Keays – 65
Brodie Smith – 61
Shane McAdam – 56
Kyle Hartigan – 54
Tom Lynch – 53
Rory Sloane – 51

Astonished Hartigan and Sloane finished above Talia.

Great to see Keays and McAdam in the top 10

I think I'm just shocked at how close that was, seeing it really had no right to being close. At least the right person won.

Some rather odd ones there, Brown finishing 3rd, Hartigan 8th, Lynch 9th, Sloane 10th. Probably all just an indicator of how pathetic we were seeing there was a few mediocre seasons in that lot. Sloane especially.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Consensus voting is biased towards the strongest character. Obviously you've not sat on a board or committee. Not exactly an extraordinary claim. Then take into account the system is Nicks' baby and only the truely demented wouldn't realise he would have been the major influence on voting.
The truely demented.... You love the early morning ****head comment don't you.

So what you're saying is, Nicks is going to favour certain characters over performance in a BnF.

Wow.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think I'm just shocked at how close that was, seeing it really had no right to being close. At least the right person won.

Some rather odd ones there, Brown finishing 3rd, Hartigan 8th, Lynch 9th, Sloane 10th. Probably all just an indicator of how pathetic we were seeing there was a few mediocre seasons in that lot. Sloane especially.
Early in the season ROB was very poor around centre bounces and our midfield suffered.

Not a shock that when that improved so did his voting.

One final chart from me. Here's all 60 players that have played for us over the last 5 years

1601082237828.png

Dont suppose you could just do the list from highest to lowest votes? Good ol AFC hasn't been kind enough to do that for us.

Absolutely. Do note that this includes 2020's votes which have been adjusted in an attempt to match the 2019-16 voting system:

1601084427137.png

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Matthew Nicks introduced himself with a lot of noise about "prioritising others" rather than just your own immediate deliverables

Consummate team professionals Hartigan, Brown and DMac in positions 5-7 in the B&F for votes per game despite the majority of this forum wanting at least 2 out of 3 off our list right now

Meanwhile
- Brad Crouch places 17th (!) despite his 22 possessions per game (27.5 in normal quarters)
- Smith places 18th despite his 17 possessions per game
- Seedsman places 27th despite his 16 possessions per game

Looks like he was serious

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I reckon the new system is odd. It assumes that the degree of performing the role in team increases as impact on game result increases. What if you tag Neale to zero touches but we lose by 15 goals as the rest of the mids stepped up to fill the void. Elite team role but not a dominant impact on result. Mackay could run his patterns to an elite team role level but get ignored every time, how many votes for him, hasn't impacted result at all. It looks like pure wank to me.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
Congrats to Reilly on his B’n’F, doesn’t matter what sort of year the club has, its still an achievement.

I’d expect Reilly to cop some gentle teasing from his mates given he provides the ladder for two out of three marks of the year on the AFL site.

Back