Toast 2020 AFL Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Awards show with basically everything but the Brownlow to be announced on Thursday, Serong a good chance to win the rising star, and we've got a couple of guys expected to be in the AA squad of 40 per Ryan Daniels

I reckon both Ryan and Fyfe make the 22, with plenty of melts from opposition supporters about Fyfe.

Fyfe has had a team year, rather than individual.

Has adapted his game to blend in the whippersnappers, but still lethal when he charges through packs and creates opportunities.

Tabs will get screwed in the final 22 for a midfielder. Petracca has been a midfielder all season, watch them put him or Bont as a forward
Take the blinkers off. Tabs was not AA material this year, but a spot in the squad is well deserved recognition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nat Fyfe has won a fifth Geoff Christian Medal, extending his record in the ABC Grandstand award that recognises the best performing Fremantle or West Coast player in a season.

The Fremantle captain finished the year with 20 votes, four ahead of runner-up Luke Ryan.

Fyfe held a two-vote lead heading into the final round and polled a maximum three votes against the Western Bulldogs with 23 disposals and two goals.

Ryan was awarded one vote for his 25 disposal and nine mark performance.

The 2020 win goes with Fyfe’s 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019 awards.

“It’s nice to win the Geoff Christian award,” Fyfe told ABC Grandstand.

“I think our year has been, on the whole, a step forward in some areas. We got off to a shaky start as we ingrained a new game plan, blooding new players into different positions. I think we started to get some consistency towards the back end and hopefully we now have a decent platform to be able to approach season 2021.

“My season this year has been a different style. I’ve played a little bit more efficiently, a little bit smarter - saved some petrol tickets to be able to get through the season. I think (against the Bulldogs) was probably going back to the 2014, 15, 16 version of me, tractoring around, hunting the footy.”

Michael Walters finished fourth in the final standings with 14 votes while Andrew Brayshaw was tied for fifth with 12 votes.

Fyfe stands ahead of the pack in award’s history, with Matthew Pavlich (three) the only other player to win the award more than twice with Paul Hasleby, Lachie Neale, Daniel Kerr and Matthew Priddis the other multiple winners.

So if everything goes to plan we look like having
- 3 in the U22 team
- 1 AA team
- 3 AA squad
- 1 rising star

That's a good year for player awards
Could have two in the AA team. Ryan should be a lock as the best interceptor and Fyfe should only not be in if the 3 missed games cost him.

Reckon Fyfe will do a lot better in the Brownlow count than people are giving him credit for as well. Have they learnt nothing from last year? Anyone who has watched Fyfe play up close knows how much he stands out amongst his elite peers. That's the view the umpires get and why he polls so well at the Brownlow.

Could have two in the AA team. Ryan should be a lock as the best interceptor and Fyfe should only not be in if the 3 missed games cost him.

Reckon Fyfe will do a lot better in the Brownlow count than people are giving him credit for as well. Have they learnt nothing from last year? Anyone who has watched Fyfe play up close knows how much he stands out amongst his elite peers. That's the view the umpires get and why he polls so well at the Brownlow.
Im confident fyfe will collect a 3rd brownlow. He only needs to take a grab and he gets votes

I dont think that would be fair to some other midfielders who have legitimately been better than him this year.

Yeah, he's gone under the radar becaue he hasnt be superman Fyfe but I think enough mids have been better than him that it would be unfair for him to be named ahead of them.

Steele, Boak, Neale, Bont and Guthrie have all been better mids this year.

I suppose they MIGHT try to sneak him in on a flank

I dont think that would be fair to some other midfielders who have legitimately been better than him this year.

Yeah, he's gone under the radar becaue he hasnt be superman Fyfe but I think enough mids have been better than him that it would be unfair for him to be named ahead of them.

Steele, Boak, Neale, Bont and Guthrie have all been better mids this year.

I suppose they MIGHT try to sneak him in on a flank

Fyfe has been well ahead of Danger, Dusty and Pendles though. I won't mind if Fyfe misses out as long as none of them make it.
I think Fyfe may sneak in as an interchange. Not a bad impact player coming off the bench.

Fyfe has been well ahead of Danger, Dusty and Pendles though. I won't mind if Fyfe misses out as long as none of them make it.
I think Fyfe may sneak in as an interchange. Not a bad impact player coming off the bench.
Think Dangerfield will take the one spot that probably goes between those 4. Fyfe missing 3 games hurts him.

Martin should absolutely not make it and Pendles has missed almost a qtr of the season

The Brownlow predictor has Neale winning with 21 votes. 21 is well within Fyfe's grasp if that's how it pans out, considering how well he polls. Currently $51

Remove this Banner Ad

Back