2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the idea of 16 a side, I think what the worry is that teams will play a chip, chip, chip style because they will be too worried about getting burnt on turnovers.
I think a few country leagues reserves now play 16 a side.

I agree that’s a risk, I say make it 20 metres or even 25 for a mark to make that style very difficult. And / or no longer rewarding a backwards kick with a mark except in forward 50

Sunday Fox Numbers:

Western Sydney v North:125,000
Sydney v Essendon: 255,000
Bulldogs v St.Kilda: 219,000

total ratings for the round are going to come in around 5.8m

I think it might be the highest rating round ever, certainly since 2008 when my records begin
Didn't the ANZAC round last year get 5.9 million, could be wrong.

Yesterdays NRL rated 34k in Brisbane (from the Oztam data) on Nines main channel. yesterdays AFL rated 36,000 in Brisbane on 7mate. Neither game featured a queensland side.

Ill note theres a discrepancy between whats in the data and what Mediaweek have reported, so dont get yourselves too hyped
Yesterdays NRL rated 34k in Brisbane (from the Oztam data) on Nines main channel.

That seems to be very low for NRL in Brisbane which is supposed to be a RL town.

Yesterdays NRL rated 34k in Brisbane (from the Oztam data) on Nines main channel.

That seems to be very low for NRL in Brisbane which is supposed to be a RL town.

Mediaweek reporting 256k metro, the data says 256k
*edit - I was using the wrong data - Brisbane rated 86k for the NRL

Last edited:
I see in the Murdoch gutter press that bogan BS artist V'Landys is accusing the AFL of lying about the TV deals!

Straight out of that other idiot Trumps play book.Bullies never like the truth when they cant get their way!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you knew V’landys as a teenager he would have definitely been that guy who claimed he had a girlfriend who “went to another school, you wouldn’t know her.”

I see in the Murdoch gutter press that bogan BS artist V'Landys is accusing the AFL and CH 7 of lying about the TV ratings for last weekend.
Straight out of that other idiot Trumps play book.Bullies never like the truth when they cant get their way!
Have you got a link?
I did see where he said they were lying about the apparent comparison of the AFL to the NRL tv deals.

Yep 3 out of the top four programs on Fox
Only one NRL game so would've been absolutely shocked if it wasn't. North v GWS numbers would be a worry for the AFL though.

The real test of ratings was never going to be the first round back, but this weekend coming up. Hype was always going to give big numbers, so be interesting to see what they are like this week. NRL figures have dropped 20% since first round back, so lets see what the AFL does.

Only one NRL game so would've been absolutely shocked if it wasn't. North v GWS numbers would be a worry for the AFL though.

The real test of ratings was never going to be the first round back, but this weekend coming up. Hype was always going to give big numbers, so be interesting to see what they are like this week. NRL figures have dropped 20% since first round back, so lets see what the AFL does.
Of course they should a bit but will still kill the NRL!

Of course they should a bit but will still kill the NRL!
When you include regional areas the gap isn't as large as it appears when you only see 5 major city numbers. But it is also a question of return on investment, something that Channel 7 and Foxtel both had been failing to get up until now from the current rights, hence why both have serious financial concerns.

That's interesting it means tasmania isn't included in the tv ratings, i'd be interested to see their numbers.

When you include regional areas the gap isn't as large as it appears when you only see 5 major city numbers. But it is also a question of return on investment, something that Channel 7 and Foxtel both had been failing to get up until now from the current rights, hence why both have serious financial concerns.

The gap is still massive.

It also doesn't capture:
-the AFL goes for longer and it as often as not beats the NRL live game in the ratings with both its pre match and post match
-the AFL pulls OK numbers in Sydney and Brisbane and nearly always has the games in perth on 7 mate. Last Thursday and Friday the AFL games got 216K and 195K on 7 mate.

7 got a smaller discount off a larger base than channel 9 got for the NRL. It has also signed on for two more years apparently with CPI increases on the existing deal

I am not sure on what basis you are asserting "serious financial concerns" are due to what they are paying for the AFL?

Decent Metro ratings for last night considering the margin was out to 8 goals half way through the third quarter - 624K.

Another 235K on foxtel so only needs 141K regional to get over 1 million again.

The NRL snuck into the top 20 with 301K metro....and got 220K on foxtel

Update:

So regional 203K for a total 1.062

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back