Melbourne:
Adelaide: 68,000
Perth: 48,000
Sydney: 26,000
Brisbane: 22,000

Regional: (TBA)

Fox Footy:

Total: 665,000

A rare sub 900K for a week night (no chance of 235K regional). I wonder whether it was the lopsidedness or the fact it was on a Wednesday that was the major cause?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
A rare sub 900K for a week night (no chance of 235K regional). I wonder whether it was the lopsidedness or the fact it was on a Wednesday that was the major cause?
Wednesday nights the TV channels have some of their best shows on so that could be one of the reasons why!People don't give up habits that easily.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I think people might be surprised with the amount of AFL penetration that has happened within the last 3 years. This is namely thanks to Brisbane re-emerging as a top team...I know we're not an AFL state, but the AFL will always have a stronger presence here than Sydney.[?] Brisbane isn't as Rugby[League] focused as Sydney[?] is, and the early 2000's the Lions were a bigger team in the state than the Broncos. Things can change quickly here, and the sport (As of right now) hasn't been this healthy since the early 2000's.
Good post.

It is arguable, however, re your views on Brisbane now being stronger for AF than Sydney, at least on raw nos. (per capita, you would be correct).

Sydney metro exceeds Brisbane metro in these AF areas:-

. Sydney now has c. 20,000+ regd. AF club jnrs- inc. c. 7000+ club Auskick players.

. For Sydney residents only, Swans have c. 50,000 members, GWS c. 30,000 (not including c. 5,000 living in ACT).
Total Sydney AFL crowds are obviously bigger. I'm not sure about AFL Ratings- Brisbane are strong, but do the ratings include viewers living on the GC?

As for your claim that RL is bigger in Sydney than Brisbane, certainly Sydney's NRL total membership & crowds are much larger than Brisbane. You are correct that the Lions sometimes got bigger crowds than the Broncos in the early 2000's- but the Swans have had several crowds of 60k-72k in Sydney.

However, in snr male GR contact RL, it has virtually disappeared in Sydney's NS, ES, & inner WS- in 2019, the last remaining 4 clubs had to play in the Sydney Combined Comp. to get a game- in the WS! (The Sydney CC also includes the Parramatta DRL & St George DRL. NO snr North Sydney DRL or Manly DRL exists now). There are also only a few NS clubs in the Sydney Shield & R. Massey comps.

The jnr male contact RL (& club) contact nos. in the NS, ES, & inner WS have also significantly declined.

NRL legend G. Hughes, on Foxtel's Controversy Corner in June 2018, expressed his concerns re the decline of (male) contact GR RL in Sydney's WS.

Penrith NRL Deputy Chairman G. Alexander has also expressed his concern at the decline of (male) contact RL in the WS. Penrith DJRL is RL heartland in Sydney. He said in April 2020

"I am a junior coach...& (male) junior Rugby League is struggling, but no one wants to admit it. They say its slightly increasing, but its not, its decreasing".

Are you able to nominate any areas in Brisbane metro where GR male snr or jnr contact RL is having similar large declines in nos.?

Last edited:

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Any word on the crowd for Hawthorn vs Carlton? From video highlights I’ve seen it looks decent. But it also looked like the 5th tier might have been closed completely too though.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
i know a couple of people who worked at the tennis center across the road and they said it was pretty noisy like a big crowd.

probably excited Blues fans initially i suppose who do have a decent fan base in the west

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
517K on FTA metro last night.....

...so might limp to 900K. The last few nights have certainly demonstrated what one-sidedness does to TV ratings

Pretty sure I heard BT say 4,863 tonight at Metricon.
Similar numbers to Essendon v Dogs two weeks before. Difference was Essendon v Dogs was 80-85% Essendon and last night was about 50/50, maybe 55% Essendon at most.

Must admit I was surprised that Metricon staff told me 5000 was the capacity considering it didn't sell out. Maybe the novelty of seeing the Dons live every week might be wearing off on some Qld based Dons.

Also (assuming these matches actually go ahead) GC play Richmond at the Gabba on 17th August then play in Darwin a few days later. With NT adding the councils of Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich in the hotspot list, it means any Suns fan that attends the game against Richmond won't legally be able to attend the game in Darwin.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
517K on FTA metro last night.....

...so might limp to 900K. The last few nights have certainly demonstrated what one-sidedness does to TV ratings
I think a couple of factors are in play burn out for starters not many people esp casual viewers are going to watch footy every night of the week and people that have favourite TV shows that they will watch if their club is not playing esp Mon/Tues/Wed!

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Also (assuming these matches actually go ahead) GC play Richmond at the Gabba on 17th August then play in Darwin a few days later. With NT adding the councils of Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich in the hotspot list, it means any Suns fan that attends the game against Richmond won't legally be able to attend the game in Darwin.
Are they even selling tickets for suns v Richmond at gabba? Cant see anything available yet.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Similar numbers to Essendon v Dogs two weeks before. Difference was Essendon v Dogs was 80-85% Essendon and last night was about 50/50, maybe 55% Essendon at most.

Must admit I was surprised that Metricon staff told me 5000 was the capacity considering it didn't sell out. Maybe the novelty of seeing the Dons live every week might be wearing off on some Qld based Dons.
Probably correct. Also, it’s a big ask to get Essendon based QLD members, many I assume based around Brisbane to head down the road for 45 minute commute for 3rd week in a row?

For whatever reason, they’ve been opening up more bays of seats for the Essendon home games at Metricon than the other matches, with the only exception being the Tigers v Roos game two weeks ago.

PS: I don’t think many Essendon fans will show up next Friday night.. They’re hopeless and the fans now know where the teams really at.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couldn't be too often the saturday night game outrates the Thursday and Friday games

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So 956K last night despite not being on in Adelaide

I know it's had to compare because there are usually double headers but wouldn't imagine there would be too many bigger ratings on a Saturday night for a match in recent years

Lions99991

Debutant
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So 956K last night despite not being on in Adelaide

I know it's had to compare because there are usually double headers but wouldn't imagine there would be too many bigger ratings on a Saturday night for a match in recent years

AFL really needs to understand that people don't want to watch certain clubs on a friday night. Teams like Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, GWS, North Melbourne will literally draw low ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back