2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Some great figures there but a lot would be due to the lock down in Victoria!

Next weeks finals are all Victorian affairs so it will be interesting to see how that effects the ratings outside Victoria.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some great figures there but a lot would be due to the lock down in Victoria!

Next weeks finals are all Victorian affairs so it will be interesting to see how that effects the ratings outside Victoria.

Well, not really as Melbourne numbers had a lower increase than every city except Perth

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Off a much higher starting point and do we have the Kayo figures for the finals yet?.

I think I read somewhere the first final had about 125k for streaming

In terms of the lockdown impact, the point is if there was a significant lock down effect in Melbourne it would be up by a larger percentage than elsewhere.

I suspect the lockdown effect is ambiguous. On one hand people obviously can't go out and do other things but on the other hand there are a portion of the population for whom watching the footy is as much a social / family thing as it is something they get direct enjoyment out of. So some people might be watching it that wouldn't otherwise but others aren't watching who may have otherwise gone round to family / friends house to watch it.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
The crowd of 10,651 at the Gabba for Saints vs Bulldogs was the lowest crowd for a final since 1916. Obviously crowd numbers don't really mean anything this year but still, it's just a fun fact which hasn't really been mentioned anywhere.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I think I read somewhere the first final had about 125k for streaming

In terms of the lockdown impact, the point is if there was a significant lock down effect in Melbourne it would be up by a larger percentage than elsewhere.

I suspect the lockdown effect is ambiguous. On one hand people obviously can't go out and do other things but on the other hand there are a portion of the population for whom watching the footy is as much a social / family thing as it is something they get direct enjoyment out of. So some people might be watching it that wouldn't otherwise but others aren't watching who may have otherwise gone round to family / friends house to watch it.
Its only a rough estimate as they don't really know how many are watching each screen which could be many more.

Another factor is the Pubs and Clubs are shut in Victoria and on a normal viewing night they would account for tens of thousands of viewers that are now at home.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The crowd of 10,651 at the Gabba for Saints vs Bulldogs was the lowest crowd for a final since 1916. Obviously crowd numbers don't really mean anything this year but still, it's just a fun fact which hasn't really been mentioned anywhere.

Being at the ground was a ripper atmosphere, especially as they put the entire crowd on one side of the ground, so well done to those 10,651. I think that's a great crowd for 2 smaller VIC clubs in a covid season and St Kilda must have been at least 70% of the support which was a surprise. Collingwood v Geelong both have larger supporter bases in QLD/SA/NT (where borders are open should fans choose to travel) so it should be a much bigger crowd this Saturday, 15k+ I would reckon.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being at the ground was a ripper atmosphere, especially as they put the entire crowd on one side of the ground, so well done to those 10,651. I think that's a great crowd for 2 smaller VIC clubs in a covid season and St Kilda must have been at least 70% of the support which was a surprise. Collingwood v Geelong both have larger supporter bases in QLD/SA/NT (where borders are open should fans choose to travel) so it should be a much bigger crowd this Saturday, 15k+ I would reckon.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that game draws 20,000 plus - given the following of both clubs and the fact that it’s a 7.30pm Saturday Night match.

Im surprised the AFL allowed the Richmond v St Kilda game to be played at Metricon, both could have drawn 20,000 plus at the larger Gabba

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldn’t surprise me if that game draws 20,000 plus - given the following of both clubs and the fact that it’s a 7.30pm Saturday Night match.

Im surprised the AFL allowed the Richmond v St Kilda game to be played at Metricon, both could have drawn 20,000 plus at the larger Gabba

Definitely possible, was being conservative with the 15k. The lions sold out Friday night in quick time and the crowd was only 22k. So it would be hard to beat that obviously but if they get close to 20k would be fantastic.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
They're not quite as generous with the seating categories like they were with the St Kilda v Dogs game....only about 5 bays are cat 4 with about another 10 being cat 3. Looks like a good 40% of the ground is cat 1, which for $93 isn't overly attractive to the neutral.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
They're not quite as generous with the seating categories like they were with the St Kilda v Dogs game....only about 5 bays are cat 4 with about another 10 being cat 3. Looks like a good 40% of the ground is cat 1, which for $93 isn't overly attractive to the neutral.

Dont mean to correct you but that is wrong. There is bulk seating at $35. Use the filters on ticketmaster for category 4. Personally just picked up 6 x $35 tickets on level 2. The seating map is only a guide.

Back