2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Over 8000 at Moorabbin tonight a good turnout for a Thursday night practice match.Looked good on TV as well.

97K on the foxtel which is pretty solid given Carlton and Essendon only got 103K last year for the opener (a week later)

Pleasantly surprised by the 4012 at Moorabbin for St Kilda's first AFLW win. I was worried it would be a lot lower due to the Marsh Series game just a day earlier.

Only marginally short of the WB v NM game at Docklands: 5,465

"Pleasantly surprised by the 4012 at Moorabbin for St Kilda's first AFLW win. I was worried it would be a lot lower due to the Marsh Series game just a day earlier."

Yes the AFLW crowds are holding up well this season and are easily the best attended overall of any of the Womens sports.

The last 3 A League W matches have averaged about 1000 and look dreadful and lack atmosphere on the ABC Telecasts in comparison!

"Pleasantly surprised by the 4012 at Moorabbin for St Kilda's first AFLW win. I was worried it would be a lot lower due to the Marsh Series game just a day earlier."

Yes the AFLW crowds are holding up well this season and are easily the best attended overall of any of the Womens sports.

The last 3 A League W matches have averaged about 1000 and look dreadful and lack atmosphere on the ABC Telecasts in comparison!
Out of curiosity, what's the entry fee for W League matches?

Didn't they record 8000 last home game? A 50% drop off is pretty alarming.
Wow, that's a massive drop off but probably understandable when you take into consideration the novelty factor wearing off. Look at how much BBL crowds have fallen recently.

That seems quite expensive. If/when AFLW crowds cost that much, I wonder how the crowds will look in comparison to W League
The fans will still go as they are attached to the clubs now.
Its been a great marketing ploy by the AFL not to charge so far and build the crowds first!
Didn't they record 8000 last home game? A 50% drop off is pretty alarming.
The first match was all about the Saints returning to Moorabbin.

Wow, that's a massive drop off but probably understandable when you take into consideration the novelty factor wearing off. Look at how much BBL crowds have fallen recently.
Its not novelty factor wearing off, its an `event` v a normal game. Derby got 35 000, the next Eagles game will be hugely less, but that isnt novelty wearing off, thats first ever home game, first ever Derby, only Optus game of the year + something like 10 - 15 k opposition supporters as compared to a regulation home and away game.

If you could regularly have the first ever Eagles home game, and first ever Derby and only Optus game of the season, then you would regularly get big crowds, but I dont know how the AFL schedules that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly with the AFL and AFLW matches on at the same time of the year with the AFL Pre season games suffering a big drop in crowds plus the AFL seems to have given up on the practice matches with very little PR.

Clearly with the AFL and AFLW matches on at the same time of the year with the AFL Pre season games suffering a big drop in crowds plus the AFL seems to have given up on the practice matches with very little PR.
Yeah, even 5 years ago there seemed to be a lot more media coverage and general interest in pre-season matches. The arrival of AFLW played a part but I think it was dropping off even before then.

Yeah, even 5 years ago there seemed to be a lot more media coverage and general interest in pre-season matches. The arrival of AFLW played a part but I think it was dropping off even before then.

I think what’s also played a part is not having the pre-season premiership anymore. That used to generate some level of interest in the press and would at least be on free to air television (even if it was only the Final generating some media interest in the last few years).

That seems quite expensive. If/when AFLW crowds cost that much, I wonder how the crowds will look in comparison to W League
Eagles have something like 4 - 5000 AFLW members. Membership doesnt get you much. I would imagine a good portion of people at a regular Eagles game will be members.

If they're willing to pay $50 just for the privilege of being a member, I dont see them baulking at an extra $7.50 per game. Eagles have no reason to charge the $7.50 a game anyway. Why would they bother? Some other clubs might need the money from the gate, but for a good few, what it brings in would hardly be worth it. Keep it free as a publicity exercise.

I get the feeling that Richmond can stop relocating their AFLW games to Princes Park now.
Even if they were 6-0, it still seemed very unlikely to me that the reduced capacity at PRO would be an issue for Round 7's 5.45pm Friday game in a few weeks from now. Suitable lighting, on the other hand, might be an issue.

Even if they were 6-0, it still seemed very unlikely to me that the reduced capacity at PRO would be an issue for Round 7's 5.45pm Friday game in a few weeks from now. Suitable lighting, on the other hand, might be an issue.

I believe out lights are below the requirement the AFL has for night games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back