Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Was the game on Fox last night?
607k on FTA. Pretty much what a BBL game would get, it doesn’t really point to a great thirst for representative footy from the public.

Rated well in Melbourne, but (understandably) rubbish everywhere else.

I didn't speak to anyone that didn't think the "All stars" concept wasn't a complete joke.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Rated well in Melbourne, but (understandably) rubbish everywhere else.

I didn't speak to anyone that didn't think the "All stars" concept wasn't a complete joke.
But all the players interviewed after the match just loved it and want it to continue.1 million+ viewers is a very good result!

I wonder what the A League, RU and A League womens rubbish on the ABC rated at the same time?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually I'm pretty sure the capacity is reduced

I think an issue is that AFL does not count staff etc which probably sees it cede stadium attendance records

[TD valign="top"]
The record crowd is 56,771 - 29/06/13: Wallabies v British & Irish Which is funny as it is 431 more than the stated capacity of 56,347 .[/TD]

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
There is next to no chance that a preseason Victoria versus the all stars game is sustainable

Probably not, it if is Victoria vs the All-Stars every year.

But what about next year it is played at Optus Stadium and it is WA vs the All Stars (with Vic in the All Stars team).

The year after it is SA vs the All Stars at Adelaide Oval.

Make it a rare occasion, and an opportunity for the host state to have some pride in the game, so that it can still draw big crowds when it rolls around again.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

But what about next year it is played at Optus Stadium and it is WA vs the All Stars (with Vic in the All Stars team).

Make it a rare occasion, and an opportunity for the host state to have some pride in the game, so that it can still draw big crowds when it rolls around again.

But at that point do you just not have 3 games and everyone gets to play for their state?

The only reason for the VIc's versus the rest demarcation is about half the players come from Victoria.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong

Great idea!

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What planet are you on mate!1 x million + is good any day of the week on FTA/Foxtel now a days!

Show me another sport that had 1 million viewers + this week?

It was decent in that it was about on the mark of an average friday night game

Cricket does it a bit (early BBL and test matches), tennis does it. League probably does it about 15 times a year including finals and origin (i.e. rarely outside of finals and origin)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
It was decent in that it was about on the mark of an average friday night game

Cricket does it a bit (early BBL and test matches), tennis does it. League probably does it about 15 times a year including finals and origin (i.e. rarely outside of finals and origin)

League was 12 games over a million TOTAL last year. Only 2 games last year during the regular season, 3 origin matches and 7 finals.
AFL had 26 games last year top a million - 17 games during the regular season, and all 9 finals.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
But at that point do you just not have 3 games and everyone gets to play for their state?

The only reason for the VIc's versus the rest demarcation is about half the players come from Victoria.

Never mind that no-one gives a s**t about beating the All stars. If they want to play 1 game every year, then rank the states based on number of AFL players listed, then play 2 v 1, 4 v 3 and 6 v 5, all at the lower ranked team's home. Next year, losing team goes down, winning team goes up.

Alternatively, play a mini carnival every 3 or 4 years. 2 groups of 3, each team plays 2 games, winner of each group plays in the grand final.

The only thing they got right this time was the timing of the game. If it's going to work, it has to be pre-season.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Never mind that no-one gives a s**t about beating the All stars. If they want to play 1 game every year, then rank the states based on number of AFL players listed, then play 2 v 1, 4 v 3 and 6 v 5, all at the lower ranked team's home. Next year, losing team goes down, winning team goes up.

Alternatively, play a mini carnival every 3 or 4 years. 2 groups of 3, each team plays 2 games, winner of each group plays in the grand final.

The only thing they got right this time was the timing of the game. If it's going to work, it has to be pre-season.

I disagree with your last paragraph. I think the only way it works is a post season tournament every 3 or 4 years

Origin is go hard or go home ....it won't sustain as preseason bruise free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I disagree with your last paragraph. I think the only way it works is a post season tournament every 3 or 4 years

Origin is go hard or go home ....it won't sustain as preseason bruise free

Half the league is getting some sort of surgery post season (maybe more). Unless you can get most good players playing then the concept is doomed.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Half the league is getting some sort of surgery post season (maybe more). Unless you can get most good players playing then the concept is doomed.

You'd have to pay well and play it in October November

Not without its challenges but the only plausible option

You'd have to pay well and play it in October November

Not without its challenges but the only plausible option

That won't happen under the CBA, players have guaranteed away from club time

That might be a challenge scheduling IR as those are usually played around November.

Off mem those players are allowed to start training quite a bit later than the rest.

People wanting four teams in off season imo will be fighting a losing fight against the coaches

Preseason one game, they just sub the selected players out of the praccy game that week

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
The All stars match last week attracted the largest FTA audience in Melbourne with a total of 375,000 people tuning in. For the week it put it ahead of the audiences tuning into watching MAFS each night.

1. Football 375,000 (Friday)
2. MAFS 364,000 (Sunday)
3. MAFS 364,000 (Wednesday)
4. MAFS 342,000 (Monday)
5. MAFS 340,000 (Tuesday)

The All Stars Match was comfortably the most watch FTA program in Melbourne last Friday Night.

1. Football 375,000
2. Football Post Match 278,000
3. Football Pre Match 268,000
4. 9 News 6:30 227,000
5. Nine News 226,000

Overall Football had the 2nd highest FTA numbers for a program in a major metropolitan city with Sydney last week having the highest individual city audience with MAFS last Sunday.

1. MAFS 382,000 (Sunday) Sydney
2. Football 375,000 (Friday) Melbourne
3. MAFS 364,000 (Sunday) Melbourne
4. MAFS 364,000 (Wednesday) Melbourne
5. MAFS 351,000 (Wednesday) Sydney

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
But all the players interviewed after the match just loved it and want it to continue.1 million+ viewers is a very good result!

I wonder what the A League, RU and A League womens rubbish on the ABC rated at the same time?
Seriously....At least show some respect even if you don't like the league by calling it by its name or at least not calling it rubbish.

I will leave it at that.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
We dont have IR every year...on the off year we could get in 2 origin matches instead, or at least 1.

The problem is how many top players are going to sit it out? We've seen how good the turnout can be for IR - pretty bloody abysmal most years.

I agree that all other things being equal, post season is the best time to hold it. But all other things aren't equal, and I reckon 50% of the players selected won't play. Pre-season I think you'd get 80%+ putting their hand up.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
The All stars match last week attracted the largest FTA audience in Melbourne with a total of 375,000 people tuning in. For the week it put it ahead of the audiences tuning into watching MAFS each night.

1. Football 375,000 (Friday)
2. MAFS 364,000 (Sunday)
3. MAFS 364,000 (Wednesday)
4. MAFS 342,000 (Monday)
5. MAFS 340,000 (Tuesday)

The All Stars Match was comfortably the most watch FTA program in Melbourne last Friday Night.

1. Football 375,000
2. Football Post Match 278,000
3. Football Pre Match 268,000

4. 9 News 6:30 227,000
5. Nine News 226,000

Interesting to see how low both the FTA commercial news programs have dropped.
These used to be powerhouses not that long ago.
Just goes to show how much FTA TV has fallen away due to other media formats taking viewers away.
It will be interesting to see how this impacts on the AFL TV rights as CH 7 is struggling to make money ATM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back