2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Is there a decent case now to build smaller capacity stadiums for footy based on covid rules moving forward - therefore moving towards more money from TV than gate

because as if projected covid will not disappear

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is there a decent case now to build smaller capacity stadiums for footy based on covid rules moving forward - therefore moving towards more money from TV than gate because as if projected covid will not disappear.

No, completely illogical. If anything they need bigger stadiums with more social distancing.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
You literally said, 'smaller capacity stadiums'. So forgive people if they didn't realise that you meant, increased capacity, by that.

OK, i can see how that was misinterpreted.

i understood the Perth stadium was built so capacity of another 10k or so could be added quite easily, from time to time most stadiums are upgraded, most to increase capacity.

Considering how we are told the old normal will never return day in and day out, perhaps the days of huge stadiums with huge capacities are the old norm and moving forward stadiums will need less upgrades for capacity.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
They've now openend the bottom level of the Gabba for sunday. For anyone who has been tracking this has not happened this year outside of a Lions game. Could be a monster (covid-era) crowd.

Did anyone hear the crowd numbers for the Carlton-Collingwood game?

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Was over 9,000 from memory. Felt and sounded like a lot more. Still the biggest non qld team turnout in qld this year by a long way.
Makes sense. When the larger Vic clubs play the Lions or the Suns in QLD you can count on between 5-8,000 people supporting these clubs. Vic travelling fans aside this year, sounds entirely reasonable that ~4,500 of each clubs fans turn up to an old rivalry. These are different times indeed.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Makes sense. When the larger Vic clubs play the Lions or the Suns in QLD you can count on between 5-8,000 people supporting these clubs. Vic travelling fans aside this year, sounds entirely reasonable that ~4,500 of each clubs fans turn up to an old rivalry. These are different times indeed.

They continued to release some extra tickets right up until bounce. I think the covid fear factor could have has an impact. As seen in perth not selling out games

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
z3DDSJT.png

at R14 each year.

lsujHto.png

At Round 16 each year.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Stadium crowds are limited and the seating is managed.

You mean for non W.A. teams.

Yes correct, but there was still some unsold seating for Sundays game and i know personally of a few people who are avoiding the footy due to the threat of covid whether it be a at risk family member or whatever the circumstance. I have been to at least 15 games in QLD this year so i understand the stadium management for seating.

No, I think even if you read back in this thread West Coast and Freo games did not sell out every single game even at the 30k capacity.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, I think even if you read back in this thread West Coast and Freo games did not sell out every single game even at the 30k capacity.

30k is a nominal figure. With the alternate seating and add hoc seating, sellouts were at a much lower figure than that.
With crowds at those levels the risk for fans was equivalent to going to a supermarket
except when it was time to leave. The risk was much lower than going to any bar or many restaurants.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
"The only local newspaper, The Courier-Mail, has dispensed with its AFL writers completely"

No wonder Australian Football struggles in QLD!
But when you realize that Murdoch's son Lachlan is a Broncos fanatic and News Corp still own's a big slice of the Bronco's its no wonder the Murdoch rag in Brisbane dosen't do the AFL any favours!

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
news.com.au is really anti afl too. Every article has a negative headline even for positive stories.
It's surprising as Rupert Murdoch grew up in geelong didn't he?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
"The only local newspaper, The Courier-Mail, has dispensed with its AFL writers completely"

No wonder Australian Football struggles in QLD!
But when you realize that Murdoch's son Lachlan is a Broncos fanatic and News Corp still own's a big slice of the Bronco's its no wonder the Murdoch rag in Brisbane dosen't do the AFL any favours!

That's horrendous!

Ultimately I think the tabloid monopolist dailies have a declining social influence on the long arc

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
That's horrendous!

Ultimately I think the tabloid monopolist dailies have a declining social influence on the long arc

I hope so but they still have a lot of dickheads still buy and read their gutter rags and believe the crap they promote!

Hopefully when old man Murdoch drops off the branch a lot of the papers will go under esp the loss making Australian or be sold off!

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope so but they still have a lot of dickheads still buy and read their gutter rags and believe the crap they promote!Hopefully when old man Murdoch drops off the branch a lot of the papers will go under esp the loss making Australian or be sold off!

I don't see the business sense in this attitude.
If people want to read about AFL (and they do) give it to them especially in these tight times for newspapers.
I never bought newspapers in Sydney unless they had a good Swans content.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
I sincerely doubt Rupert Murdoch personally has anything to do with the content of Australian newspapers.
No but his son Lachlan does and is a NRL Broncos fan. News Corp still has the major 68% shareholding in the club.

Thats one of the reasons its flogged to death in the Courier Mail!

Murdoch's rags always promote their other business interests at all times!

If the Broncos were say owned by CH 9 they wouldn't get half the coverage that they now get in the CM!

Last edited:
Back