2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
This year it won't be about the size of the crowds but the TV ratings!
It is going to be interestng to see how much difference the Night GFmakes if any.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
AFL GF is usually the second most watched TV show in Australia after NRL SOO game 1. Usually around 3m, or higher if WC or Swans playing. I predict a 20% lift to around 3.6m to be the highest rating GF ever and number one show for 2020.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What is the all time record viewing on an AFL match? Can see that being broken and pressure coming for later/night GFs in the future.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Its only ever about crowds for AFL folk.

For TV, the top 5 sporting TV ratings are with us, both GFs & Origin 1- 3.
NO it's not!
AFL people are well aware that the TV pays at least half the bills so the ratings (which BTW the AFL are way ahead of the NRL in the major markets this season) are very important and the AFL GF has many times out rated the RL GF even though the AFL GF is not in prime time!

Lets see how the NRL GF would rate played on a Sat afternoon?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its also about more than 3 or 4 top rating events. Its like theres 365 days in a year or something.

For good reason the top 5 sports telecasts goes hand in hand with advertising dollars/the value of sports media rights.

The lesser drawing sports/the lower priced advertising dollars arent in play here (thats not to deny their relevance more generally).

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the grand final really outrates the previous years finals, then the argument of keeping the grand final during the day would be put to bed.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
What about the top 20 or 50?

The value is the advertising dollars/rates & i have no idea outside the top 5 sporting telecasts.
I'm a motor sport afficionardo, its in there somewhere. From F1 to V8s in Tassie & a couple of Aussies/Kiwis driving Indycars (Florida this weekend*).

I you want the detail of the top 50 can I suggest you go the media industry sites not the general media. The Wookie may be able to help you.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It seems so. As it's the whole season that counts, I'm sure I'm on the right page. I don't really know what page you're on.

I was commenting on the top 5 sporting telecasts in the country, all in the next few weeks. If you want to talk about the media rights deal go your hardest.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
The topic under discussion was just the GF ratings - so why did you make it "top 5" out of the blue. for no apparent reason? And if it's because 'it's all in a few weeks' in order to include origin, then let's also include all the finals ratings of the last few weeks - and we all know how that's gone in an AFL v NRL comparison.

That was a curiously worded post you made - "Its only ever about crowds for AFL folk. For TV, the top 5 sporting TV ratings are with us, both GFs & Origin 1- 3".

Apart from the arbitrary use of 'top 5', you clearly don't identify yourself as one of "AFL folk", but who/what is "us"?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
If the grand final really outrates the previous years finals, then the argument of keeping the grand final during the day would be put to bed.
it really does not.

look at the poll on the main site regarding how exicted people are for this grand final. of course, there are other major factors for that(not in Melbourne for one), but for me, and only me, the fact I can't do what I normally do on grand final ruins what the day means to me.

I couldnt give a stuff when the AFL GF rates 3 mil or whatever it will be, with increased amounts in the northern states. Does not effect me one bit and only useful for a banana measuring contest. great number but it really doesn't mean as much as you think.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
it really does not.

look at the poll on the main site regarding how exicted people are for this grand final. of course, there are other major factors for that(not in Melbourne for one), but for me, and only me, the fact I can't do what I normally do on grand final ruins what the day means to me.

I couldnt give a stuff when the AFL GF rates 3 mil or whatever it will be, with increased amounts in the northern states. Does not effect me one bit and only useful for a banana measuring contest. great number but it really doesn't mean as much as you think.

Mate! Without the TV dollars you wouldn't have a team to follow and ratings determine what the TV networks will pay!It's that simple!

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Mate! Without the TV dollars you wouldn't have a team to follow and ratings determine what the TV networks will pay!It's that simple!
I don't have a team to "follow"..... Love the swans but I am a proud Tasmanian.

And networks pay for a range of games, not just one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back