2020 AFL Draft - how will it work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So I made a post about this in the game day thread but I thought it might be worth discussion.

How do you think the AFL will run the draft when this season inevitably gets cut short?

My prediction is the AFL will chose to make it a 'lottery' and that the Big Vic clubs will get 'lucky' and get picked early and often.

If they don't get throught more than 10 games, which is almost guaranteed unless the AFL don't do what they say and close for 30d (highly probable), then:

Combine 2019 and 2020 ladders and do the draft based on that

If they don't get throught more than 10 games, which is almost guaranteed unless the AFL don't do what they say and close for 30d (highly probable), then:

Combine 2019 and 2020 ladders and do the draft based on that
Yeah I would have thought a combined ladder is how they'll do it

They'll probs ave the last 3 years excluding 2020 so that we are bumped back by 2017

Should be based on where the 18 captains thought everyone would finish, which means we’ll get pick 1 or 2!
I did see Port are flogging the GC.

It's going between us and them for bottom 2 in the new season.

We are terrible, I don't want an average, I want the pick we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this mean we get pick 9 ?
We might get pick 9 but I doubt it would be based on our one game (if that's all that ends up happening this season).

Options they could take would be to base it on last years' table positions, or a combo with this year as already suggested above.

Or maybe they cancel this years and do the draft age raising that some have been talking about - hopefully our current future pick trades get carried over to 2021.

If the AFL gets cut short in the next few weeks they will probably just wait 4-6months until we start to come out the other end of the Corona Virus and then resume games - even if it cuts into October, November etc. Probably wouldn't hurt a lot of the younger players to spend the next 6-months in the gym bulking up and working on their skills.

Under-18 games would probably resume around the same time meaning we will still see enough of the players to be drafted and the draft can continue as normal.

What also becomes a factor is that if the U18 comp does not go ahead at all, when it comes time to go to the draft if we have a very high pick, we will be picking a kid without the exposed form in his U18 year AND will be less developed that other top kids from other seasons. So this year is not a good year to be bottoming out if you are looking at it in terms of draft bounty

We might get pick 9 but I doubt it would be based on our one game (if that's all that ends up happening this season).

Options they could take would be to base it on last years' table positions, or a combo with this year as already suggested above.

Or maybe they cancel this years and do the draft age raising that some have been talking about - hopefully our current future pick trades get carried over to 2021.

Was just thinking similar.

I think there's a fair bit of merit to raising the draft age to 19. Would boost the state league comps no end to have these youngsters hang around their clubs another year. Would also be added interest in as these guys would really start to contribute. Would also take the pressure off these kids during their year 12 year. Could even get some tertiary study started.

Could then bring the draft forward to a week or two following trade period. Don't lose any momentum gained by trade period and draftees are then ready to go day one preseason.

As you say, would postpone this years draft till next year, post pone the previously "traded" future picks. Hold a stand alone "mature age" draft this year of 19+ year olds only to allow clubs to top up lists.

Trade period you can either trade for picks in the "mature age" draft, or for 2021 draft picks (obviously worth a lot more).

The interesting, and concerning, thing will be how the State teams survive this year and whether they're actually in the position to develop talent moving forward. There's a very good chance the state leagues will be decimated. Would not surprise if this becomes the impetus to create a genuine AFL reserves comp, with AFL clubs perhaps having to expand their NGA/FS academies.

Could be a very different landscape in 6-12 months time.

Well the season is 'postponed' and I believe will be eventually cancelled. So this is going to get interesting

Sure as death and taxes , the GC will get a leg up. They may be the only club to come out in profit as the crowds don't matter and the AFL will pay all their bills.

Sure as death and taxes , the GC will get a leg up. They may be the only club to come out in profit as the crowds don't matter and the AFL will pay all their bills.
GC have already got their leg up last year in a big way. If other clubs allow it to happen again - on top of what GC received last year - clubs deserve being bent over.

The only logical method is alphabetical order.
pick 1 come on down.

We won’t get as early a pick as we would have if the season was played out. Losing at home to last years 15th best team is a sign you are heading for bottom four at best.

On the other hand with no junior footy played it will be much more of a lottery.

It will be determined by multiplying the number of points scored, by the number of inside 50s. Then dividing that figure by the average age of the away side, minus the number of spanners in a sidchrome tool kit.

More ideas from Stephen Hocking’s notebook:

Reward high scoring. Whichever team has highest total match score gets pick 1.

Reward close matches. Whichever team has lowest total points differential gets pick 1.

Fair play award. Whichever team has fewest free kicks conceded gets pick 1.

Future growth 5 year plan. Whichever team has the most auskickers per member gets pick 1.

Equality first. Whichever team’s social media has more on-brand social tolerance posts gets pick 1.

Heartwarming. Assign draft position so the top picks are all selected by the team they supported growing up.

Has to be something like this.

Whatever occurs from here is unknown but the games recruiters see the draftees is going to be minimal at best .
Unfortunately for these kids that if AFL games played are around 12 mark or less then surely the number of players to be delisted probably change thus giving them less draftees to be picked.
If only minimal u-18 games played then extremely difficult for recruiters and wonder how in past did top 30 players or so change from year out from draft to draft year. Would Mutineer or other draft watcher have views on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back