2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Dream scenario:
We secretly severed ties with Tasmania and have 11 home games in Melbourne.
At least 3-4 Friday night games.
Saturday games in Melbourne during my own local footy byes.

Realistic scenario:
Tassie games and interstate games when I don't have free weekends.
7 Sunday games in a row again.
2 Friday night games against teams we historically don't play exciting games against.

Have you actually watched these games recently? From 2013 there's been some close, tense games. Carlton has all off season to prepare for us and typically come out flying. How about in 2018 where they were 5 goals up in 10 mins? How about last year when we were 40 odd points up before they closed and were looking to hit the lead in the 3rd? I actually think this game has been very entertaining for years while Carlton are still hyped before the grind kicks in and they go to shite.
Yes i have and apart from a couple they've been garbage.
How many years have they been opening the season,12 games, it's stale and well past its used by date.

Professional leagues like the NFL, NBA and EPL would be laughing at the fact that we have the same season opener every year whereby the same team is expected to win easily and does win easily.

Don't know why they don't do the following options to open the season:

1) Two big VIC clubs at the MCG who are in finals contention (eg - Rich, Coll, Ess, Haw). Would draw 75K easily in any combo.
2) West Coast versus basically anyone at Optus. Will be sure to pack out.
3) Adelaide versus basically anyone at AO. Will be sure to pack out.
4) Brisbane versus a contender at GABBA. How many entertaining games did we see at the GABBA this year?

1) Two big VIC clubs at the MCG who are in finals contention (eg - Rich, Coll, Ess, Haw). Would draw 75K easily in any combo.
4) Brisbane versus a contender at GABBA. How many entertaining games did we see at the GABBA this year?

What time do you suggest this game starts?

The AFL season starts while DST is still running in some states; so for the game to start anytime after 6pm in Perth it wouldn't air into Melbourne until after 9pm on a Thursday night; therefore finishing after 11:40pm. Way too late for a viewing audience for the season opener.

I'm not saying the Rich/Carlton season opener is perfect; but as the AFL's main market still is Victoria it at least fits better than most of the options your suggesting.

when i saw this already had two pages I thought there might be some leaks finally.

Nope, just two pages of people bitching about richmond v carlton.

Cbf quoting btw but the saints fan who said they want eleven home games - the china game IS a home game technically and we are getting a mil a year for it. Hopefully we can be a bit more competitive this year though. Although, one thing that is s**t is even though it's OUR home game, they still get to sing Never Tear us Apart before it. :rolleyes::think:

when i saw this already had two pages I thought there might be some leaks finally.

Nope, just two pages of people bitching about richmond v carlton.

Cbf quoting btw but the saints fan who said they want eleven home games - the china game IS a home game technically and we are getting a mil a year for it. Hopefully we can be a bit more competitive this year though. Although, one thing that is s**t is even though it's OUR home game, they still get to sing Never Tear us Apart before it. :rolleyes::think:
Isn’t it effectively your home game, saints listed first etc. but they pay for the rights to treat it as their home game, play their pre game song etc?

Isn’t it effectively your home game, saints listed first etc. but they pay for the rights to treat it as their home game, play their pre game song etc?
No idea how it works - it just annoys me that they get to treat it as "their" home game when we're the ones that are being disadvantaged by it onfield (the million bucks probably helps though)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two highest placed Victorian teams from the year before should be the opener.

Next year would be Richmond v Geelong.

Professional leagues like the NFL, NBA and EPL would be laughing at the fact that we have the same season opener every year whereby the same team is expected to win easily and does win easily.

Don't know why they don't do the following options to open the season:

Even just round 1 2020 would be nice.....

The two highest placed Victorian teams from the year before should be the opener.

Next year would be Richmond v Geelong.
Great idea. Like it.

Richmond V Geelong to open the season.
Give one of the interstate sides a home Friday night round 1 blockbuster.

Judging by previous years, round 1 should be released on Sunday morning (27 Oct).
That's rubbish - the whole draw is meant to be released on 31 October - they should release round 1 today at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back