News 2020 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

No Hawks in Tassie or Geelong at their rubbish dump. I like this draw a lot, seems a bit weird to play The Dogs twice in the space of 10 weeks. Don't like Thursday night games all that much though. Still, seems like our best draw for a while I would have thought.

Last edited:

So we play every interstate team that didn't make the 8 away first time around ( we have a return home game against Swans). Play the 3 Interstate teams that did make the 8 away - This will make it hard to get above the 7 wins we won this year.
Play dogs (team on the up) twice in the first 11 rounds
Play the premier twice.
Home games at the G against North and WC and only 2 away games there
Hawks home game against us at Marvel
Don't play the bottom 2 teams twice.

Do play Pies, * and tigers as home games at the G

Not a good draw IMHO

So we play every interstate team that didn't make the 8 away first time around ( we have a return home game against Swans). Play the 3 Interstate teams that did make the 8 away - This will make it hard to get above the 7 wins we won this year.
Play the premier twice.

Not a good draw IMHO

We have 5 home games at the MCG -

Essendon*
North
Collingwood
Eagles
Richmond

Away games at the MCG -

Richmond
Melbourne

Play the premier twice.

Not a good draw IMHO

Huh ??

Don’t we play the 3 interstate teams that made the 8 all at home?

That is ideal.

My take

Good Teams: Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, GWS
Teams Rising: Western Bulldogs, Brisbane
Mediocre Teams: Essendon, St Kilda, Geelong, North, Sydney
Teams Falling: Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Adelaide
Bad Teams: Gold Coast, Fremantle

So we have:

Double Ups Agaisnt: 1 Good Team (Rich), 1 Rising Team (WBD), 2 Mediocre Teams (StK, North) notably, no double ups against bad teams or falling teams.
Interstate Games Against: 1 Mediocre Team (Syd) 2 Falling Teams (Port, Ade), 2 Bad Teams (GC and Freo) notably no good teams or rising teams.

I think our double up fixture could definitely be better, not playing any bad teams or falling teams is really rough. I think we got the dud end of the fixture getting Sydney and StKilda as our allocated bottom 6 double ups with both teams you'd expect to go slightly better than they did last season. Not having Gold Coast, which is really the only basketcase in the league at the moment is quite tough. Regarding our interstate games, they could go either way I think. On one had, we have some pretty easy away games all things considered. It could be an opportunity to pick up some unexpected wins. On the other hand, if most of those games were at home (say Gold Coast and Freo) we'd be locks ot win, whereas a Freo game at Optus will be tougher than it should be.

Overall, I think it's a relatively unluck schedule.

I haven't looked at the whole fixture so i'm interested to see who got kissed by the AFL. Melbourne playing Suns twice are they?

Huh ??

Don’t we play the 3 interstate teams that made the 8 all at home?

That is ideal.
I Meant to say we played them at home ( problem of multi tasking and posting while at work).

I think interstate teams are 4 goals better at home than away. I would prefer to play the weaker interstate teams at home and play the stronger ones, which we are likely to lose where ever we play, away. In our position as a team outside the 8 we will win more games with this arrangement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will take great pleasure in watching us knock over the Crows at their rubbish dump over there, with Eddie kicking 5 of the best.

I have no problems with getting no Friday Night games, the AFL have now clearly said it's a performance based privilege, and is good motivation for the players and coaches to get a move on.

You can never please everyone, but this draw gives us an opportunity to win more games of footy given a good run of luck (touch wood) with injuries, and hopeful improvement from the likes of Dow, LOB and Stocker, i really believe we can give a lower part of the 8 a shake (although i would still consider 10 wins as a pass for the season)

The training wheels are off, hopefully the players rise to the occassion 👍👍👍

Fixture landed. Okay, fam - lets assess.

Pros
- Killer start to the season with big crowds and two arvo games - all four (arguably) winnable
- We do not leave Melbourne for the last 7 weeks of the season. Could be huge if we get momentum towards a finals berth
- I get to see the boys live again on the Coast in 2020

Cons
-
Not playing Suns twice. WTF
- Travelling to SA twice in a month (good for SA fans though!)
- No Friday night primetime games (bar Thursdays early on)
- Only four MCG home games (Liddle needs to work on this for 2021)

I will take great pleasure in watching us knock over the Crows at their rubbish dump over there, with Eddie kicking 5 of the best.

I have no problems with getting no Friday Night games, the AFL have now clearly said it's a performance based privilege, and is good motivation for the players and coaches to get a move on.

You can never please everyone, but this draw gives us an opportunity to win more games of footy given a good run of luck (touch wood) with injuries, and hopeful improvement from the likes of Dow, LOB and Stocker, i really believe we can give a lower part of the 8 a shake (although i would still consider 10 wins as a pass for the season)

Is that why Melbourne have been gifted 3 x Friday night games.

They finished 17th FFS!

Why are Melbourne playing Friday Night then?

Teams we play twice:-

Richmond, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Sydney, Norf

That is a pretty good list of dpuble
Is that why Melbourne have been gifted 3 x Friday night games.

They finished 17th FFS!

Well that is an anamoly I admit, they did make a Prelim the year before though, 3 is a bit much I agree.

So we play 5 times interstate but not in Tasmania or Geelong.
Seems fairest draw we had for some time in terms of travel.
My view is our management have to find a way to get majority or all of our home games to MCG in not too distant future or have a big vision to create another venue in Melbourne to have home games and capacity around 65,000 to 70,000 in a decades time.

But in mean time whilst we stuck with Docklands at least for a few more years the one good thing of a bad thing (home games at Docklands) is at least for a virtual indoor stadium we finally have a few games there at a sensible time.... Twilight Saturday games at Docklands makes far more sense than playing in day time when sun out but cannot have roof open. Saturday twilight if we got to play there is more sensible time for that stupid designed indoor * up.
I saw at least two or three Saturday twilight games for us there.

Apart from that most of our games are on Saturday or Sunday. I prefer that, than too many Thursday or Friday night games.
We only have two Thursday night games in round one v Tigers and round three v Injectors.

Overall best draw we had in time I can recall.

Would love to get up to GC mid year to see the Suns.
Have made the trip up there every time its been on - love it.
First year that the AFL scheduled us to only have a game against them in Melbourne I was mega-pi55ed of for ages.
Love going to the footy at Metricon - even if we lose (which sadly has happened up there a few times), going back to the resort and the beach the next day helped ease the pain.

I Meant to say we played them at home ( problem of multi tasking and posting while at work).

I think interstate teams are 4 goals better at home than away. I would prefer to play the weaker interstate teams at home and play the stronger ones, which we are likely to lose where ever we play, away. In our position as a team outside the 8 we will win more games with this arrangement.

Couldn’t disagree more.

Brisbane we beat at home this year, would rather play them home than away.

GWS can play some shocking games away, we can beat them at home.

WC the same as GWS.

GCS, FREO, SYDNEY should all be games we have a huge chance of winning away.

PORT and CROWS could go either way.

I love this part of our draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back