News 2020 AFL Fixture

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not too unhappy with the draw, miles better than last year but why do we play Collingwood and Richmond @ 1:10 on a Sunday, do they forget we’re still a big club? These should be prime time.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If you ever wanted definitive proof that the AFL has it in for us then the following table is all you need to see.

View attachment 772646

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-31/crunching-the-numbers-behind-the-2020-afl-fixture/11657036

We have a more difficult draw based on 2019 than:

Richmond -- won the premiership
Brisbane -- finished top four
Essendon & Western Bulldogs -- made finals
Adelaide, Port Adelaide, St. Kilda, Sydney, and Fremantle -- all finished above us.

That's four finals teams including the premier and five other teams that all finished above us.

We have a schedule of equal strength to that of the minor premier (11.18 wins per opponent)!

We were a bottom three team yet we've never been treated like one by the AFL when it comes to fixturing even though in their almighty governance deemed us not worthy of prime time coverage and have again taken away our marquee match ups from us.

Essendon, St. Kilda/North, Sydney, Gold Coast and Melbourne should have been our 5 double ups.
:rolleyes:

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
DemonJim troll liking!

tenor.gif

Reckon it is a bit rough on the old Fitzroy fans that they only get to play 4 games in Melbourne (plus 1 in Geelong) next year. Gregg Swann, as usual, has totally misread the wishes of the constituents (supporters) of his club and applauded the fixture.

The Brisbane Lions seem to me more of an actual 'takeover than merger with every passing season.

At the very least they could wear the old Fitzroy jumper when they play in Melbourne.

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care about the fixture, other than to see what opportunities I may have to go see the boys play interstate.

As is the case every year, if we are good enough, the fixture will not matter.

Bloody hell I hate agreeing with you!

Jan 11, 2010
Everywhere
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Digging the twilight Saturday games. Means I don't have to rush after work on a Saturday and also means I get home at a reasonable hour (I'm an old man these days tbh).

Also you guys are forgetting that we're gonna be top of the ladder come round 23 and Saints will be somewhere in finals which will force the AFL to give us that long awaited Friday night game. EZ

By round 14 we have return games with Bulldogs and Fremantle and a bye that leaving eight clubs we are yet to play, this might sound petty one of my can’t stand or ruddy understand is how all the clubs cant play each other first then finnish with the return games how hard can that be... I’m cleansed..
play each team once across 17 weeks then finish the season with some big repeats...…………...you're welcome...……...

Fixture does nothing for club sponsorship or gate dollars. We need FTA and Friday night access.
Collingwood and now Richmond laughing again.....
Once we improve on field, we'll go back to prime time.

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
About an average fixture IMO.

Good that we don't have to play in Geelong or Tassie.
Bad that we had the worst possible result re double ups.

I'm pretty sure we have never won at the Adelaide Oval. Confident of getting 2 wins there next year.
It's crucial that we get some wins early and build some confidence. I genuinely can't remember the last time we didn't start a season 0-3 or 0-4.

Need to keep in mind that the fixture isn't the be all and end all. On our day we can beat any team, and on any given day we can lose to anyone. So it's up to us to make the draw look easy.

Back