Game Day 2020 AFL Grand Final Discussion - Richmond vs Geelong @ GABBA (24/10/20)

Who wins?

• Richmond

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

dusty is a freak. I hope spp and wines watch dustys video very very closely. he is the embodiment of modern afl footy. I have watched footy sanfl/ vfl/ afl and he is the best finalist footy player I have ever seen. individually.
They don't have the athletic ability or goal kicking ability of dusty. they probably don't have his mental toughness. they can match his physical toughness getting a hard ball, but can they beat him?

Was out drinking last night. Got home at midnight.
Didn’t see or hear one moment of game. Didn’t know result.
Woke up at 3am, remembered there had been a game on and read this thread from start to finish.
Bloody brilliant commentary fellas.
They should get the lot of you on the radio next year instead of those other crap commentators.
And to hear that Geelong lost and the little master and dangerflog didn’t get their fairytale is fantastic. Shame Richmond had to win to achieve it lol.
Reckon I might do same next year. Go out get pissed forget game is on and then come on here for your blow by blow description.😂🤣

Four years and nobody has been able to properly and persistently counteract Richmond’s game plan.

It is easy to look at some of their individual players and question their ability but they sure as heck all buy into the strategy and never leave anything on the park.

And then to cap it off, Martin is probably the best big game player of the past twenty years.

One of the commentators said that he had kicked something like 17 goals 2 across all his finals before today. And then 4 goals tonight. That is a pretty extraordinary conversion rate.

Anyway, good luck to them. They have set the benchmark and it is up to everyone else to catch up...
Just FYI Dusty really took the Resilience Project to heart when the Tigers brought it into their club. Hopefully it has same effect on our players if willing to do the work.

Geelong might be a bit nervous after what's happed to Adelaide and GWS recently.

Not really the same. Cows and dubs were completely embarrassed in the grand final.

Cows because of all their arrogance pre game, power stancing at the game, then the camp after. Dubs just got wrecked.

Cats went in to the grand final humbly, fought it out and lost. Unfortunately, they will be fine.

Scott’s decision to station Patrick Dangerfield in attack while Richmond was dominating the midfield and turning a 15-point halftime deficit into a lead the Tigers would never lose in the third term was as critical as any in the Cats’ grand final defeat. It wasn’t just puzzling to fans either – a host of former greats couldn’t believe their eyes as Danger stood as a spectator while his first, and potentially best, chance to win a premiership slipped away. St Kilda grand final star Brendon Goddard was baffled. “It was quite bleeding obvious, he should’ve been in there,” he said.

NORM SMITH MEDAL JUDGES AND VOTES 2020

FINAL TALLY:

15 votes - Dustin Martin

6 - Jayden Short

4 - Shane Edwards

3 - Mitch Duncan

2 - Nathan Broad

Not necessarily, we just didnt take our opportunities like them

Would help if there peanut coach didnt try turn a gun midfielder into a full forward.

Does boak ring any bells?
Yea. I was being a bit harsh with those comments. He is a great player. I just haven't seen him play a decent game against this Richmond juggernaut.
As for Boaky, an absolute loyal busts his guts player. He lacks composure at critical times. I think fatigue at times affects his desicion making. Just my guess

Defies belief that Richmond are 3 times Premiers.

Was out drinking last night. Got home at midnight.
Didn’t see or hear one moment of game. Didn’t know result.
Woke up at 3am, remembered there had been a game on and read this thread from start to finish.
Bloody brilliant commentary fellas.
They should get the lot of you on the radio next year instead of those other crap commentators.
And to hear that Geelong lost and the little master and dangerflog didn’t get their fairytale is fantastic. Shame Richmond had to win to achieve it lol.
Reckon I might do same next year. Go out get pissed forget game is on and then come on here for your blow by blow description.😂🤣
Hang on - that would mean Port would have fallen short again........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I completely avoided everything about this game other than finding out the score.

Did I miss anything? I haven't read this thread or plan on watching any media today.

Everything about this game seemed unpalatable to me. First one I haven't watched since the late 80s.

Even Dangerfield/Ablett/Selwoid/Scott losing doesn't give me any form if joy.

Waking up this morning and remembering that Dangerfield did sweet F.A. in the grand final and spent the whole game waving his arms around and wincing at the umpire every time someone made contact with him. That's your legacy dickhead, AA captain my arse.

This was the narrative after 2014, constant talk from coaches and players that it hurt them to not be in the GF. Then we know how the next 5 years went.

This time around we have a much more settled and focused game plan and coordinated list management strategy.

In 2015 we changed too much to overcome those teams who were able to shut us down through the midfield. We went down the defensive football path that was so turgid.

This year we have gone back to attacking play which is much better balanced with an across the ground team defence. We don't play that much differently in style to Richmond.

The big question will be the transition of the young group picking up from our older top level players.

Waking up this morning and remembering that Dangerfield did sweet F.A. in the grand final and spent the whole game waving his arms around and wincing at the umpire every time someone made contact with him. That's your legacy dickhead, AA captain my arse.
What he the media spin on this that comes up down the track on how “shaken up” he was by the accidental hit on Vlaustin, and he’s such a good guy for it.

I don’t want to be watching other teams in the GF near year.

Winning a GF first year back at the ‘G’, all praise Victoria etc.... would be the sweetest thing.

Well done Richmond, envious.

God what id give to have a player of dustys quality, literally fobbed off the fact he is the first player to win 3 normies and just spoke about how much he loves the club and can't believe they've won 3 flags.
It’s become impossible not to really admire and respect this guy these past 4 years. He’s fast becoming the best footballer I’ve seen in my lifetime. The four goals he kicked last night were from another planet. Each of them amazing. They can talk about team culture, coaching, one-in/one-out, but Dusty is the reason this team went north while we went nowhere this past 6y.

Now Connor, Zak, Miles, Dylan: can one of you please elevate your game and career to something within 80% of this man’s level.

Forget Boak or Gray. Martin is the guy to emulate.

So I completely avoided everything about this game other than finding out the score.

Did I miss anything? I haven't read this thread or plan on watching any media today.

Everything about this game seemed unpalatable to me. First one I haven't watched since the late 80s.

Even Dangerfield/Ablett/Selwoid/Scott losing doesn't give me any form if joy.

Dangerflop sniping a bloke in the first quarter then spending the rest of the game basically playing like Neymar definitely upped the satisfaction level when they lost.

Back