Game Day 2020 AFL Grand Final Discussion - Richmond vs Geelong @ GABBA (24/10/20)

Who wins?

• Richmond

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When does Hinkley have long service leave? That might be our best chance to win something.
The bastard will probably be around for 11 years and we might then give him permanent long service leave.

I think they still use the old McIntyre top 8 system.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk
Nope got rid of it a few years ago. Edit - they used it for 1999 to 2011 inclusive seasons.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nope got rid of it a few years ago. Edit - they used it for 1999 to 2011 inclusive seasons.
Yeah I think that was around the time 8th beat 1st in the first week of finals and the whole thing became a farce. But no, as far as I can recall, NRL has never had a pre-finals bye.

This year the NRL top 8 was decided some weeks before the end of the season but the order within could still change. In the last round teams did rest players but there was no general outcry.

Was exactly that his dads background and because dusty wasn’t a private school boy/dropped out of school to get a job

Our coach at the time famously asked Dusty at the draft camp if dropping out of school meant he was an idiot.

In a bizarre twist, Chocolate and Dusty are now best of mates.

Our coach at the time famously asked Dusty at the draft camp if dropping out of school meant he was an idiot.

In a bizarre twist, Chocolate and Dusty are now best of mates.
Supposedly it wasn't Choco and it was a little more subtle than that.

Dusty's parents separated when he was a teenager and his life teetered for a while. He left school in year nine, Castlemaine High somewhat quaintly citing "irreconcilable differences". He's often said he regrets this. Years later, in a draft-camp interview, a Port Adelaide rep asked him: "Are you dumb?" Dusty took no offence; he knew where they were coming from. His father, anxious to impose order on Dusty's life, summoned him to Sydney, where he was then living. There, Dusty worked long hours in Shane's transport business and Adriana's sports apparel firm. In these jobs, as well as during a brief stint as a stonemason in Castlemaine, he is said to have abhorred the drudgery. But he was never as angry as he looked, telling journalist Emma Quayle in a 2010 interview that he detested "slow traffic, that's all".

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't believe people here want Dangerfield penalized for knocking out Vlastuin!

Firstly, anyone knocking out Vlastuin deserves a medal, not condemnation!
Secondly, no way was it worth a suspension. He short-arm fists the ball and with his arm still out, the two players collide. In slow-mo you can see him tense that arm as he steels himself for impact, but no way does he have the time, or the requirement to lower it. It's a match indecent, nothing more. Comparing it to Jonas' late hit on Gaff is ridiculous.

Does he get favoured by umpires? ... Yes.
Do I dislike him? ... Yes.

But on this occasion it really is "nothing to see here"

Supposedly it wasn't Choco and it was a little more subtle than that.

Dusty's parents separated when he was a teenager and his life teetered for a while. He left school in year nine, Castlemaine High somewhat quaintly citing "irreconcilable differences". He's often said he regrets this. Years later, in a draft-camp interview, a Port Adelaide rep asked him: "Are you dumb?" Dusty took no offence; he knew where they were coming from. His father, anxious to impose order on Dusty's life, summoned him to Sydney, where he was then living. There, Dusty worked long hours in Shane's transport business and Adriana's sports apparel firm. In these jobs, as well as during a brief stint as a stonemason in Castlemaine, he is said to have abhorred the drudgery. But he was never as angry as he looked, telling journalist Emma Quayle in a 2010 interview that he detested "slow traffic, that's all".

Pretty sure it was Choco, he was notorious for asking those types of questions, doubt a no name recruiter or club official would dare talk to a prospective draftee like that ...

Pretty sure it was Choco, he was notorious for asking those types of questions, doubt a no name recruiter or club official would dare talk to a prospective draftee like that ...
Choco is pretty honest about the crazy questions he has asked and things he has said in those interviews. I remember reading that Greg Baum article - I always look for his GF articles after he wrote a couple of great ones about Port in 2004 - and thought well if it was Choco, Baum would have put that it in there.

Yeah I think that was around the time 8th beat 1st in the first week of finals and the whole thing became a farce. But no, as far as I can recall, NRL has never had a pre-finals bye.

This year the NRL top 8 was decided some weeks before the end of the season but the order within could still change. In the last round teams did rest players but there was no general outcry.
Looked up the last 4 years they used the McIntyre 8. The first weeks results were

2008 - 1 beats 8, 2 beats 7, 3 beats 6 and 5 beats 4. GF was 1st Melbourne loses to 2nd Manly
2009 - 8 beats 1, 2 beats 7, 6 beats 3 and 4 beats 5. GF was 8th Parramatta loses to 4th Melbourne,
2010 - 1 beats 8, 7 beats 2, 6 beats 3 and 4 beats 5. GF was 1st St George beats 6th Roosters
2011 - 1 beats 8, 2 beats 7, 6 beats 3 and 4 beats 5. GF was 2nd Manly beats 6th New Zealand Warriors

So I reckon it was the fact sides from bottom half of 8 were making the GF last 3 years that drove the change.

I actually rather enjoyed the Grand Final last night if you don't count the angst at not having Port there

It was a decent enough game with lots of nice subplots and in the end it's astounding to see someone like Dusty rip a game right open

Not sold on night Grand Finals moving forward but it certainly frees up the afternoon
The AFL actually fluked it by having a night grand final in this instance, because if it had been played in the afternoon, the players would have needed to swap their footy boots for flippers. But yeah - I hope it was a one off, as the traditional Saturday afternoon AFL decider is one of the great days in Australian sport.

Last edited:

Some of the stories guys who went on to be legends tell on one of the old draft podcasts makes it a genuine diceroll as to whether he’s a genius or cringelord-prime.

I can’t remember whether it was Goddard or Dal Santo who said he offered them a beer, straight off the bat in their morning meeting, as a test. I think it was Jordan Lewis(?) who he ordered to jump out a window.

Wild.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Credit to Richmond it's worked for them but I'm not sure the emotional love-in model will work for other squads, connection is important but I reckon a few clubs will falter trying to emulate it.. the main reason for their success is the perfect game style for their squad rather than the group hand shandies involved.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some of the stories guys who went on to be legends tell on one of the old draft podcasts makes it a genuine diceroll as to whether he’s a genius or cringelord-prime.

I can’t remember whether it was Goddard or Dal Santo who said he offered them a beer, straight off the bat in their morning meeting, as a test. I think it was Jordan Lewis(?) who he ordered to jump out a window.

Wild.
It reminds me of when they hypnotized Wingard and he was told he was being traded. What he didn't know Hinkley really meant it.

Credit to Richmond it's worked for them but I'm not sure the emotional love-in model will work for other squads, connection is important but I reckon a few clubs will falter trying to emulate it.. the main reason for their success is the perfect game style for their squad rather than the group hand shandies involved.

They also don't have a guy called Dustin Martin who will lift at just about every big moment to help get them over the line.

Way too much credit is given to game plan in AFL, personnel is so much more important.

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They also don't have a guy called Dustin Martin who will lift at just about every big moment to help get them over the line.

Way too much credit is given to game plan in AFL, personnel is so much more important.
Case in point . The greatest coach in the universe Clarko has the same game plan but not the personnel. A great game plan is not some secret recipe only devised by premiership coaches.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nick Dal Santo said on a FoxFooty ad that Chocco asked him a question about his girlfriend, then said to him "you're not very fast, are you?" and that's when Dal knew we weren't drafting him.

Strange way to make potential new draftees feel welcome.

Nick Dal Santo said on a FoxFooty ad that Chocco asked him a question about his girlfriend, then said to him "you're not very fast, are you?" and that's when Dal knew we weren't drafting him.

Strange way to make potential new draftees feel welcome.

I bet we would've drafted Dal Santo if we had the chance, a quintessential Chocolate type player.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The one thing these losers want is for you to click play on that video. Please don't do that

Clicked on it to report it to youtube. Maybe if enough people do that it will get taken down.

Can't believe people here want Dangerfield penalized for knocking out Vlastuin!

Firstly, anyone knocking out Vlastuin deserves a medal, not condemnation!
Secondly, no way was it worth a suspension. He short-arm fists the ball and with his arm still out, the two players collide. In slow-mo you can see him tense that arm as he steels himself for impact, but no way does he have the time, or the requirement to lower it. It's a match indecent, nothing more. Comparing it to Jonas' late hit on Gaff is ridiculous.

Does he get favoured by umpires? ... Yes.
Do I dislike him? ... Yes.

But on this occasion it really is "nothing to see here"

I think the issue is that we all know if it had been a Port or GWS player that they would probably get 2-3 for it.

The coaches vote on the coach of the year. I think they have a better understanding of what makes a good one since they have to coach against each other.

There is one thing that is missing about Port. It’s not the hunger...it’s the fear. Our players should look at Westhoff and Ebert retiring without a flag and be thinking “I don’t want that to be me.”

Back