Game Day 2020 AFL Grand Final Discussion - Richmond vs Geelong @ GABBA (24/10/20)

Who wins?

• Richmond

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They also don't have a guy called Dustin Martin who will lift at just about every big moment to help get them over the line.

Way too much credit is given to game plan in AFL, personnel is so much more important.
Just on ^ is it Hink's fault that Trav misses completely from 30m out? Some would say of course not but here's the thing. A few yrs ago (2 or 3) I was at AO

for a day game and Trav was warming up with some shots on goal 30m out 45 degree angle. Had about 6 goes missed every one then with giggles and smiles all round

went down the race to get ready for game time. Guess what happened during the game.... yep he missed from about the same spot.

Imo it's a shared responsibility between player and coach that flaws in a players armoury are addressed and either solved or improved.

Trav does a heap more right than wrong but in a sport such as golf if you miss more fairways off the tee than you hit then you starve.

In short both player and coach are at fault and if it persists for years the coach needs to be given the hairy eyeball. This is not so much about Trav and his kicking.

It's about Ladhams improving his non-preferred side h/balls, Ollie and his kicking and h/balls OR ANY of our players being weak or iffy with their disposal.

In the slippery conditions of the GF I was impressed with Richmond's skill level especially from their small brigade.

When whole seasons come down to a straight kick it's the not so little things like total professionalism that separate the winners from the also rans.

To drive this on a whole club and list basis I'm looking at you Ken.

If I was an opposition coach and I saw a team with a worryingly good lost being held back by a mediocre coach, I'd vote for that guy as coack of the year.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It also says more about how miraculous taking the Lil’ Olds to a McClelland looks against the previous 5 years of utter dross than any genuine acknowledgment of coaching prowess.

“He moved Boak into the middle and encouraged his team to kick long to Dixon... I mean, wow!”

Hinkley of 2013 deserved credit for exceeding expectations.

A coach in his 8th year doesn't deserve credit for exceeding expectations. If expectations were low in the first place, that's an indictment on you.

Just won the B&F for this year's premiers.
Let him replace Caleb Daniel on the Bench

They are just doing their part to keep Ken at Alberton forever it's advantageous for them.

Do you actually believe this?

Without reading upteem back pages what’s the consensus on Dangerfield’s possible suspension. I only saw the hit once and it didn’t look very good but I’m sure the good bloke status will get him some discount. Thoughts?
Odds for Adelaide making the top 4 in 2021: 250 to 1
Odds for Patrick Dangerfield copping a suspension: 500 to 1

Odds for Adelaide making the top 4 in 2021: 250 to 1
Odds for Patrick Dangerfield copping a suspension: 500 to 1
You’re a bit mean on both of your odds, but as my dear old Dad use to say - the bookie would always go home from the races in his Mercedes whilst the mug punter caught the tram home!

If T Jonas does what Dangerfield did in a GF it'd be 8 weeks.
I think it also has a fair bit to do with the comments from the TV commentators. We knew Zac would cop his 2 weeks, given the 9 million replays of the incident, and the calls for the death penalty from the Fox Footy commentary team. Trial by media is alive and well in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it also has a fair bit to do with the comments from the TV commentators. We knew Zac would cop his 2 weeks, given the 9 million replays of the incident, and the calls for the death penalty from the Fox Footy commentary team. Trial by media is alive and well in the AFL.

Absolutely this!

my favorite commentator bias/cover up was when selwood was pushing his opponents head into the ground behind play in the 4th and bruce goes "........still got some fight left selwood......". insert comment about how many weeks they would've called for if it was any man in teal black and white (1-2 is my inference)

my favorite commentator bias/cover up was when selwood was pushing his opponents head into the ground behind play in the 4th and bruce goes "........still got some fight left selwood......". insert comment about how many weeks they would've called for if it was any man in teal black and white (1-2 is my inference)

You could hear a pin drop in the commentary box after Bruce said it, too. Weak as piss, all of them.

Just received this email:

"This email is being sent to you as a ticket holder of the AFL Grand Final at the GABBA on 24 October. We hope you enjoyed this historic occasion and thank you for being a part of the event including the spectacular light show in the AFL’s first ever night Grand Final. If you (or anyone attending with you) did not dispose of their wristband on the night in the provided bins, please immediately dispose of any remaining wristbands in your outside household bin without exposing the batteries. The internal button batteries in the wristbands can be harmful to children. More information on button battery safety is available on the Product Safety Australia website."

Excuse the pun, but the AFL deserves a massive slap on the wrist for the mis-management of the disposal of the plastic wristbands handed out to provide the illumination in the crowd during the half time show (and the winning team's song at the conclusion of the game). Did not see any bins specifically for the wristbands (i.e. for recycling), so chucked ours in the normal bins which will presumably end up in landfill. Noticed a lot on the ground along Vulture Street (along with bits and pieces of the Chemist Warehouse gift packs), no doubt washed away and into the Brisbane River in the torrential rain the following day. They had a great effect but such a waste of plastic, metallic materials and batteries for a once off event. Greenie rant over.

Hinkley of 2013 deserved credit for exceeding expectations.

A coach in his 8th year doesn't deserve credit for exceeding expectations. If expectations were low in the first place, that's an indictment on you.

11th best high-water mark in his time here.

Only four clubs haven’t made a Prelim since 2013 — the brokest club, the WADA club, the salary cap breach club and the Washington Generals @ Gold Coast.

And his “wow! he did that with them?!” stock has never been higher.

Incredible.

Back