2020 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with the earlier thinking that the announcement was done poorly, and had little impact.

Zero impact within Australia so that still leaves it open to the target audience.

I know some of the IC regulars are looking forward to a new host city/region, but I know some of the newbies are disappointed not being to have the same experience as those before them - that being in footy heartland and being able to see half-a-dozen or more AFL games at different venues.

Yes, but newbies are basically being cut.

I think (although they didn't bid, as far as I know) Adelaide, Perth or even Hobart hosting would have been better - Adelaide has enough SANFL venues where they could have played a bunch of night matches (a rarity at IC)

It's extremely hard to find three adjacent ovals with good facilities but night games is an exciting and good scheduling idea.
The WAFL is perfect IMO and people within the WAFL were interested and still are.
If any teams (from Europe logically) want a hit out on the way over before the I.C. at a WAFL game then that can be arranged.

I fear a struggle for enough quality umpires (outside their normal local commitments) and also other support staff (admin staff, commentators, etc).

The umpires are a mix of overseas umpires and interested amateurs. i have felt disappointed at times with the way Australia has treated these international players who are representing their country and investing much time and money to compete.
The unimproved facilities at Royal Park are an example of this treatment.

The I.C. has only gleaned only the slightest more recognition of football overseas a.t.m.
There is a business theory that states it's easier to tackle and conquer a small city than a large city.
There is no doubt that the I.C. has been buried under all the other types of football in Melbourne and Sydney.
Here is an opportunity to have a big win in a small place.
It would be interesting to hear from BigBrainUSA if this is true with the USAFL national championships.
What effect if any do the USAFL national championships have?

Here's a release from AFLQ

Palaszczuk Government scores winning goal with new AFL partnership.

https://www.aflq.com.au/palaszczuk-government-scores-winning-goal-with-new-afl-partnership/

You'd have thought they could have worked something in from

2020 AFL International Cup dates confirmed.

There is no doubt that the I.C. has been buried under all the other types of football in Melbourne and Sydney.
Here is an opportunity to have a big win in a small place.
It would be interesting to hear from BigBrainUSA if this is true with the USAFL national championships.
What effect if any do the USAFL national championships have?

In terms of economic impact, it's not insignificant. 2000 or so people (athletes, coaches, fans, etc) coming to the area for 3 or 4 days generates millions of dollars for the local economy, between hotel rooms, food, and entertainment.

In terms of attention, it depends on the market itself. Not just in size, but in the advertising power and effectiveness of the local visitors bureaus. As an example, Racine, Wisconsin, is a city of about 77,000 people between Milwaukee and Chicago. They advertised on our behalf on TV, in print, and through their own channels, and we were able to pull in a good sized local crowd despite it being colder than a witch's brassiere. I think our best crowds have been in Austin, because it's a weird city and they embrace stuff like that. I remember literally bumping into dozens of people who had found out about it in the week leading up to the carnival. It also helps that their club has been the most successful in the league over the last decade. I feel like we also got a good crowd in San Diego but I didn't get a chance to talk to too many people and find out where they were from.

In terms of economic impact, it's not insignificant. 2000 or so people (athletes, coaches, fans, etc) coming to the area for 3 or 4 days generates millions of dollars for the local economy, between hotel rooms, food, and entertainment.

In terms of attention, it depends on the market itself. Not just in size, but in the advertising power and effectiveness of the local visitors bureaus. As an example, Racine, Wisconsin, is a city of about 77,000 people between Milwaukee and Chicago. They advertised on our behalf on TV, in print, and through their own channels, and we were able to pull in a good sized local crowd despite it being colder than a witch's brassiere. I think our best crowds have been in Austin, because it's a weird city and they embrace stuff like that. I remember literally bumping into dozens of people who had found out about it in the week leading up to the carnival. It also helps that their club has been the most successful in the league over the last decade. I feel like we also got a good crowd in San Diego but I didn't get a chance to talk to too many people and find out where they were from.

I find that very interesting.
Maroochydore has a population under 20k in a region just under 300k.
The I.C. is a two week event as against a four day event.
The USAFL generates domestic airfares whereas the I.C. airfare revenue is debatable for Australia.
Typically Americans are good at "selling' events whereas parochialism is more likely to be a negative in Australia.
I'm sure crowds at the I.C. will be better than Royal Park but how much better will be interesting.

It is interesting that the USAFL 2020 nationals are listed for Ontario, California. Ontario is a very outer suburb of Los Angeles and Los Angeles has a population approaching that of Australia. The USAFL Nationals are a yearly event but cater to about the same number of people over an extended weekend as the I.C..

It would be interesting to see how the USAFL decided on this site as the location for the nationals
and how they are tackling a big city if indeed they are.

It is interesting that the USAFL 2020 nationals are listed for Ontario, California. Ontario is a very outer suburb of Los Angeles and Los Angeles has a population approaching that of Australia. The USAFL Nationals are a yearly event but cater to about the same number of people over an extended weekend as the I.C..

It would be interesting to see how the USAFL decided on this site as the location for the nationals
and how they are tackling a big city if indeed they are.
I have no direct involvement with the decision, but having been around it, I can tell you that there are several factors:

-- Size of the ground (is it big enough to host 5/6 full sized grounds, have enough parking for 1000-2000 people, etc)
-- Cost effectiveness for the league (how much putting on the tournament would ultimately cost; ground cost, booking/events, etc)
-- Accommodation availability (are there any other big events going on that weekend that would make staying there difficult)

We generally partner with the local sports and tourism board(s) to get out the word about the carnival. I'm sure the folks in Ontario are used to promoting events like this and we'll all figure out how to best do it as the year goes on.

Here's what happening in Perth the 2020 Masters Carnival.

it's bigger than the 2020 I.C. and at the moment has more promotion than the I.C.

Does anybody know what the final wash up was on the number of Womens teams at IC2020.
It looks like a news blackout on the Cup by AFL House, certainly some people will know by now but are staying silent for unknown reasons.
Here we have a topic on the subject on a popular footy website but it is a virtual wasteland almost Kremlin style.

Does anybody know what the final wash up was on the number of Womens teams at IC2020.
It looks like a news blackout on the Cup by AFL House, certainly some people will know by now but are staying silent for unknown reasons.
Here we have a topic on the subject on a popular footy website but it is a virtual wasteland almost Kremlin style.
They generally don't make any sort of announcement until everything is confirmed. So it's possible they're still figuring it out.

If they're going to have an ironclad figure (8/8/8), one would think that they would set that and announce it early. But remember who we're dealing with.

I'd imagine it would be 2024. Countries need three years to prepare especially w.r.t. cost.
Take the cost away and it could happen more frequently. That's not going to happen.

Will probably see all other tournaments pushed back a year then.

USA was meant to play GB in 2021 and 2024. If IC23 moves to 2024, that will probably see the European Championship moved from 2022 to 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think that even though a 2021 IC was announced as a goer, it still might not get up - even in a Covid free world. It does look like the Qld tourism funding has been agreed on, and in the AFL's current financial state they will not want to be shelling out their own dollars. This is before we even know if there will be enough countries able to financially get themselves to Qld to play.

The AFL International Cup has been cancelled in favour of more regional events.
Currently the Rugby World Cup is being played in France and creating a lot of interest because of the large number of European teams.
AFL in Europe has a lot of international competitions and set to grow consistantly IMO because of the large number of competing countries in Europe.
IMO the AFL decision to cancel was premature but I'm sure European participation will grow and grow in stature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back