11. Melbourne
12. Fremantle
13. Carlton
14. Essendon
15. St Kilda
16. Adelaide
17. Sydney
18. Gold Coast

I think as a rule losing a top quality on baller works to your benefit and other stand up, so I think we will hold our position and become more even through the mids

Couldn't string two wins together in the second half of last season and lost QF and PF despite finishing first.
Lost our second-best mid.
Danger, Selwood, Hawk another year older, with Selwood having already slowed down considerably.
Only major acquisition in Steven hasn't been at his best for a number of years and has a lot of risks.
Looks like we'll be playing the same gameplan that has never worked and the same players who don't perform when the heat is on.
Rest of the competition improving while it's hard to see where our source of significant improvement comes to match those of fellow contenders.
This is actually pretty accurate. I've got us marked down as 7th. Anything upwards would be a surprise and batting above where the list is at. I think as usual the cautious game plan will work okay-ish through H&A, especially at home, to collect enough wins for finals. However it wouldn't be a shock to fall down to around 10th. I reckon last season was our last bite of the cherry at being a legitimate flag chance. There will be plenty of things to keep me interested, but premiership success won't be one of them. Always happy to eat my words, of course. But this is what my realistic outlook is.

1 Richmond
2 GWS
3 BULLDOGS
4 GEELONG
5 WEST COAST
6 MELBOURNE
7 COLLINGWOOD
8 BRISBANE
9 HAWTHORN
10 ESSENDON
11 PORT ADELAIDE
12 ADELAIDE
13 NORTH MELBOURNE
14 STKILDA
15 SYDNEY
16 FREMANTLE
17 CARLTON
18 GOLD COAST

Couldn't string two wins together in the second half of last season and lost QF and PF despite finishing first.
Lost our second-best mid.
Danger, Selwood, Hawk another year older, with Selwood having already slowed down considerably.
Only major acquisition in Steven hasn't been at his best for a number of years and has a lot of risks.
Looks like we'll be playing the same gameplan that has never worked and the same players who don't perform when the heat is on.
Rest of the competition improving while it's hard to see where our source of significant improvement comes to match those of fellow contenders.
I think Narkle, Clark and Miers might have breakout years. Jack Steven will do well. Don't stress. Top 6. In Finals anything can happen.

Our midfield will perform better without Kelly but it still might not be enough to win a premiership. If Danger is able to pull another miraculous season and Chris Scott doesn't play players out of position (particularly in finals) then we're an excellent chance

Our midfield will perform better without Kelly
Don't know how you come to that conclusion. Looks like it's back to a one-man operation to me. Much respect to Selwood, but he looked spent for most of last year. Another year on, I don't think we'll be getting much more from him. Wouldn't be betting on Steven to come good given his issues - could be another Mitch Clark. We'd need some kids like Narkle and Constable to step up in there but historically we don't get that sort of improvement out of kids under Scott.

Our midfield will perform better without Kelly but it still might not be enough to win a premiership. If Danger is able to pull another miraculous season and Chris Scott doesn't play players out of position (particularly in finals) then we're an excellent chance

Might be time you changed your profile pic then, mate.

How about you change it to 30 year old Jack Steven, or a pic of seldom seen Cockatoo.

Might be time you changed your profile pic then, mate.

How about you change it to 30 year old Jack Steven, or a pic of seldom seen Cockatoo.
Sure you're not a closet Geelong fan with how much time you spend snooping around our board...

May I suggest you spend less time worrying about the avatars of Geelong fans and more time learning to navigate so you can find your way to the WCE board without detours

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of pessimism on here. Not unreasonable. Yet pretty similar to every other year. I see the drop coming next year however. Which gives us this year as being a threat. Lost Kelly, yet gained Steven (80% Kelly) and Jenkins (40 goals min). Definite question marks over how the older blokes will endure the season. That could be balanced out by the improvement of some younger blokes. Home and away isn't our issue, so I would say for me anything below top 6 would be surprising. However, finals are another kettle of fish. We won't truly know until that time whether we've improved or not.

Sure you're not a closet Geelong fan with how much time you spend snooping around our board...

May I suggest you spend less time worrying about the avatars of Geelong fans and more time learning to navigate so you can find your way to the WCE board without detours
So precious.

I can personally see us finishing anywhere from 2-10 most likely in the 3-7 range though
Me too. Worst case I see us winning only 11 games (Only!! Some teams would kill for 11 wins!!). Best case - 18 wins

Its not the absence of kelly that will cause this, but I actually think our midfield will be better this year than last year. Kelly was many things, a great disposal he wasn't. I expect the on-going development of players like parffit, miers and narkle will see us winning just as much ball, but with cleaner possession that leads to more damaging thrusts forward.

I think 5 -8 is our spot this year...

I expect us to improve but not at the rate of depth of some others and they will go past us... but 5-8 still gets into Sept and as we ve seen all kinds of crazy s**t can happen then...

BLitz to a wing for example.... Stanley not in the ruck... all kinds of shenanigans.

GO Catters

1. Richmond
2. West Coast
3. Hawthorn
4. Greater Western Sydney
5. Collingwood
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Brisbane Lions
8. Geelong

9. Port Adelaide
10. Adelaide
11. North Melbourne
12. Melbourne
13. Fremantle
14. St Kilda
15. Essendon
16. Sydney
17. Carlton
18. Gold Coast

Hope for the best, but expect the worst, with our biggest drop down the ladder in decades.

Get the feeling a couple of horror losses in the early rounds will drop us into Hawks-Dees territory of recent years. How the coach deals with it (something he's never had to do) will be interesting if it (sadly) comes to pass.

I understand it's good to come in with low expectations, but this board really needs to be more optimistic at times. We have some serious depth coming into this season, depth that we haven't had in a long time. Below is what I consider to be our best 30 players (age in brackets), we bat extremely deep. The only reason I've forecasted us to drop to the lower half of the eight is because of an interrupted pre-season.

22.png

I understand it's good to come in with low expectations, but this board really needs to be more optimistic at times. We have some serious depth coming into this season, depth that we haven't had in a long time. Below is what I consider to be our best 30 players (age in brackets), we bat extremely deep. The only reason I've forecasted us to drop to the lower half of the eight is because of an interrupted pre-season.

View attachment 832804
You have gone to a lot of work only to destroy it by putting Guthrie in the middle we will be flogged in clearances while he's in there 9 out of every 10 games.

View attachment 832804

I hope you're right, but that starting 18 is looking far too tall, too old and too slow - half the side will be 30 and over by year's end.

Just look at the forward line - Steven and Jenkins are unknowns, Dahlhaus can't kick straight or past 30 yards, Ratugolea can be anything within 5 minutes of play and Tommy and Gazza will be getting the pension soon. There's no fear here for the opposition.

Only Miers brings genuine excitement forward of 50, Narkle too if he's improved.

The backline is stable, but still lacks a line-breaker with genuine pace.

Stewart and Danger are the only two A-grade players we have that can be trusted to play at the highest level every week. Duncan maybe, if he's right to go.

We can't expect Taylor, Ablett, Selwood and Tommy to stand up all the time - we'll need at least a few of the mid-level brigade to become a-graders and personally, I can't see it happening.

Plus, let's face it - the loss of Kelly is huge, and not just for this year.

Also - I just don't see the hunger for ultimate success with these players. Apart from Danger and Stewart, the truly great players in this side have all been to the well and drunk very well. Another year in their old legs, in front of a cosy home-crowd, topping up the super and Instagram likes - it'll be interesting.

I hope you're right, but that starting 18 is looking far too tall, too old and too slow - half the side will be 30 and over by year's end.

Just look at the forward line - Steven and Jenkins are unknowns, Dahlhaus can't kick straight or past 30 yards, Ratugolea can be anything within 5 minutes of play and Tommy and Gazza will be getting the pension soon. There's no fear here for the opposition.

Only Miers brings genuine excitement forward of 50, Narkle too if he's improved.

The backline is stable, but still lacks a line-breaker with genuine pace.

Stewart and Danger are the only two A-grade players we have that can be trusted to play at the highest level every week. Duncan maybe, if he's right to go.

We can't expect Taylor, Ablett, Selwood and Tommy to stand up all the time - we'll need at least a few of the mid-level brigade to become a-graders and personally, I can't see it happening.

Plus, let's face it - the loss of Kelly is huge, and not just for this year.

Also - I just don't see the hunger for ultimate success with these players. Apart from Danger and Stewart, the truly great players in this side have all been to the well and drunk very well. Another year in their old legs, in front of a cosy home-crowd, topping up the super and Instagram likes - it'll be interesting.
Get Cockatoo right and play him off the back flank and we'll have a line breaker. Less turning and injury behind the ball.

Back