Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope you're right, but that starting 18 is looking far too tall, too old and too slow - half the side will be 30 and over by year's end.

Just look at the forward line - Steven and Jenkins are unknowns, Dahlhaus can't kick straight or past 30 yards, Ratugolea can be anything within 5 minutes of play and Tommy and Gazza will be getting the pension soon. There's no fear here for the opposition.

Only Miers brings genuine excitement forward of 50, Narkle too if he's improved.

The backline is stable, but still lacks a line-breaker with genuine pace.

Stewart and Danger are the only two A-grade players we have that can be trusted to play at the highest level every week. Duncan maybe, if he's right to go.

We can't expect Taylor, Ablett, Selwood and Tommy to stand up all the time - we'll need at least a few of the mid-level brigade to become a-graders and personally, I can't see it happening.

Plus, let's face it - the loss of Kelly is huge, and not just for this year.

Also - I just don't see the hunger for ultimate success with these players. Apart from Danger and Stewart, the truly great players in this side have all been to the well and drunk very well. Another year in their old legs, in front of a cosy home-crowd, topping up the super and Instagram likes - it'll be interesting.

That’s an awfully pessimistic assessment of a team that finished minor premiers last year, and bowed out of the finals by just three goals to the eventual premiers (without Duncan and Hawkins).

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I understand it's good to come in with low expectations, but this board really needs to be more optimistic at times. We have some serious depth coming into this season, depth that we haven't had in a long time. Below is what I consider to be our best 30 players (age in brackets), we bat extremely deep. The only reason I've forecasted us to drop to the lower half of the eight is because of an interrupted pre-season.
I understand it's good to come in with low expectations, but this board really needs to be more optimistic at times. We have some serious depth coming into this season, depth that we haven't had in a long time. Below is what I consider to be our best 30 players (age in brackets), we bat extremely deep. The only reason I've forecasted us to drop to the lower half of the eight is because of an interrupted pre-season.

View attachment 832804
barring injury, Narkle, Parfitt and Miers should play every game this year, and Constable most of them. Atkins is also in favour.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
That’s an awfully pessimistic assessment of a team that finished minor premiers last year, and bowed out of the finals by just three goals to the eventual premiers (without Duncan and Hawkins).
I think we may have missed a few more player in that match too.

Couldn't string two wins together in the second half of last season and lost QF and PF despite finishing first.
Lost our second-best mid.
Danger, Selwood, Hawk another year older, with Selwood having already slowed down considerably.
Only major acquisition in Steven hasn't been at his best for a number of years and has a lot of risks.
Looks like we'll be playing the same gameplan that has never worked and the same players who don't perform when the heat is on.
Rest of the competition improving while it's hard to see where our source of significant improvement comes to match those of fellow contenders.
Accurate, and our list is skewed by our best 8 players having an average age of 30.
Our HGA is much less significant than Tigers>Pies>Hawks>Demons.

I voted 18th.
There will be NO disappointment for me this year.

I decided on 17th for much the same reasons - though thinking that we surely can't finish below GC

Might be time you changed your profile pic then, mate.

How about you change it to 30 year old Jack Steven, or a pic of seldom seen Cockatoo.
Take a day off then stay away from our board...you are not welcome here.

If you want to direct your smarmy efforts at the GFC or its supporters, feel free to do so in the Bay, on the Main Board or on the West Coast Board.

On our Board it wont be tolerated in 2020.

Return here in any form I'll infract you and have you board banned...don't say I didn't warn you,........

and save yourself the time writing me a PM...it will be deleted unread.

Chief ...please note the warning I have given this person in advance....we don't want him here, but i doubt he will heed the warning.

dazbroncos cats_09 winty ....FYI...

So precious.

Just understand, we are not tolerating BS from posters with a record of posting purely to troll or irritate Geelong posters...

If you think that's precious, fair enough...just get used to it.

Some posters have complained that Geelong Board Mods are too soft (lenient if you like) with "visitors" from other Boards who come here just to irritate....then when we get a little tougher, its called "precious".....:rolleyes:

There's a no s**t policy in place for trolls from other boards in 2020.....

Last edited:

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Carn't see them above 6 so that's what I gave them, no extreme young talent is a worry if you expect better.
Totally reliant on the older players and old imports.
We'll win most home games as usual so 6 for me.

8 of the 18 AFL captains have selected Geelong to make the 8, (including Duncan- stand in skipper yesterday)so basically 11 captains think we won't make the 8.
We are officially in decline?

8 of the 18 AFL captains have selected Geelong to make the 8, (including Duncan- stand in skipper yesterday)so basically 11 captains think we won't make the 8.
And who said that players/captains are the smartest folk? Max Gawn selected Bayley Fritsch for the Coleman:

“It was me. I saw that question and I did see that we weren’t allowed to vote from our own team, but I’m not going to not vote for the Coleman Medallist winner,” Gawn told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“Throughout training this year he has done some things that are pretty spectacular who does it from very little impact in the actual game. He’ll have five touches, five marks, five goals.

Fritsch has kicked a total of 37 goals in 2 seasons, but now he's apparently going to kick double that this year?

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Only 7 tipped us for the 8 last year. So the opposite of decline?

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Surprised anyone would think we would miss the 8.

If we win our standard 7-8 games at KP we only need to win another 3-4 games to secure finals (based on last year when Essendon made it with a 12-10 record).

I can’t see us falling off the perch so much that we drop more than a couple at home.

I’m expecting something along the lines of 14-8 and a 5th-6th place.

Back