Preview 2020 AFL National Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the kids, but the thought of drafting a kid coming off an ACL at pick 2 makes me nervous. If that's the way we go, he must be quite the talent and hope we nurse him along slowly

pitchster

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rez, Turner, Ziebs, Comben all follow him on Insta as well. Wodonga/Vic Country links.
Dont have much to do with instagram. Its good he has links to people at the club though, means he probably wont look to leave. Player retention hasnt really ever been a problem of ours though.

archerboy

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

pitchster

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah but you get my point
Look i do but at the end of the day if he wants to limit the amount of clubs hes available to its his choice. In the end clubs may pick him anyway, he can have a preference, clubs can also not care. If he wants to leave after 2 years he can and will get traded anyway.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Look i do but at the end of the day is he wants to limit the amount of clubs hes available to its his choice. In the end clubs may pick him anyway, he can have a preference, clubs can also not care. If he wants to leave after 2 years he can and will get traded anyway.
Then whats the point in having a draft lets just go back to the old zoning days.

You're saying that being prepared to relocate to anywhere in the country should be a prerequisite for playing in the afl. Not sure about this. Obviously what he is doing is prejudicial to the draft but this seems to have been going on for years. The only difference is that he's saying it on radio (having been asked about it), rather than privately through his manager.

Not that you've said this but what really irks me here is people inferring that he doesn't have the character to play afl because of it. Firstly, I don't see any evidence of a correlation between commitment on field and willingness to move state and, secondly, we don't know anything about his personal circumstances.
He said, on the radio to the world "I wouldn't be as commited if I moved interstate." That is almost word for word.

Then whats the point in having a draft lets just go back to the old zoning days.
Agree. The draft is one of the few things the AFL has done that worked. It evens the comp out. Only massive incompetence, not luck or finances or whatever keep teams at the bottom for long periods.

pitchster

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually no you can't.

Completely wrong (although players get away with it yes)
You can, he has, you may not like it but he hasnt said I WILL NOT go to a club outside Victoria. Wingard did the same in his draft year. He stated he wished to stay in the state. Clubs can still select him. Who is to say it would have mattered anyway? If the Dons were always going to pick him and he had said nothing no one would have been the wiser. Perhaps his manager should have told him to keep his mouth shut :tearsofjoy: Regardless i was never on his hype train, even less so now.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree. The draft is one of the few things the AFL has done that worked. It evens the comp out. Only massive incompetence, not luck or finances or whatever keep teams at the bottom for long periods.
Yeah i understand its hard on the kids of course it is but i suppose that is the price of being an elite sportsman.I hated leaving VIC and i was 30 years old but you do what you have to do but i still call VIC home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back