Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with needing more. I'm gun shy on picking KPP's with high draft picks to be honest, my view is that strong midfield - more than ever - win games of football and that talls are the toughest players to project from junior career to AFL. Picking a tall at the higher end in this draft makes it even less likely we can come back in time to pinch a flag while Cunnington & Goldstein are still playing good football...

Of course, the flip side is that you have to back the recruitment and list strategy in and if a KPP is the clear best choice then so be it.
I'm with you on this one.

Whilst you need key forwards to straighten teams up a gun midfield will make a decent key forward look like a very good key forward. Its also easier to nab a FA key forward when you have a gun midifeld to dangle in front of them.

Who gets given maccas franchises?

Mark Bickley

I'm with you on this one.

Whilst you need key forwards to straighten teams up a gun midfield will make a decent key forward look like a very good key forward. Its also easier to nab a FA key forward when you have a gun midifeld to dangle in front of them.
Hear what you are saying but it has not helped the Magpies win a flag recently having a really strong Midfield.

Hear what you are saying but it has not helped the Magpies win a flag recently having a really strong Midfield.
Collingwood were only a bees dick from winning a flag. I was big fan of picking up McDonald in this draft but have changed my mind, key forwards just don't have the impact they use to have in today's footy. Carey is by far the best player I have seen and would still be great but I wonder if he would have the same impact.

if do a few deals in this period which allows us to pick up Holland's and Phillips, we could be set up for the next ten years with further good drafting.

I’ll be happy with a mid but Logan McDonald has to be it for me. You have to take the best available and he is absolutely that.

l agree but not only that , The Bombers are after him also ,,,,anything to stop them from getting him..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#33 Caleb Poulter

Far and away the best and most classy player afield, particularly in the first half, Poulter may well have cemented his first round status with this performance. The 192cm midfielder started at the centre bounces and made an impact straight away with a couple of clearances right out of the middle. He was simply cleaner and more effective than any other player, extracting beautifully and hitting a teammate with nearly every disposal. His ability to release long handballs from congestion has always been a key trait, and one particular pass from the centre bounce found Zac Dumesny on the wing, who hardly had to break stride to gather. It is difficult to do justice to his impact in the first half, with his silk and poise on the ball proving a class above the rest. Hardly reliant on pure strength, Poulter proved elusive and athletic in his craft. He was quieter after the main break, but had done plenty to prove his worth beforehand.

Liking him more and more.

Hopefully he is still there at our early second rounder.

#33 Caleb Poulter

Far and away the best and most classy player afield, particularly in the first half, Poulter may well have cemented his first round status with this performance. The 192cm midfielder started at the centre bounces and made an impact straight away with a couple of clearances right out of the middle. He was simply cleaner and more effective than any other player, extracting beautifully and hitting a teammate with nearly every disposal. His ability to release long handballs from congestion has always been a key trait, and one particular pass from the centre bounce found Zac Dumesny on the wing, who hardly had to break stride to gather. It is difficult to do justice to his impact in the first half, with his silk and poise on the ball proving a class above the rest. Hardly reliant on pure strength, Poulter proved elusive and athletic in his craft. He was quieter after the main break, but had done plenty to prove his worth beforehand.

Never seen him. Sounds good. That's enough for me.

#33 Caleb Poulter

He was tagged for a large portion of the SANFL U18's season and was excellent most weeks. I'd argue he's in the top 3 in this draft class regarding scope for development.

Closest thing in this draft to Fyfe with his height/ability in the air, ability to find the ball, flexibility to play half forward/midfield and general athleticism.

He was tagged for a large portion of the SANFL U18's season and was excellent most weeks. I'd argue he's in the top 3 in this draft class regarding scope for development.

Closest thing in this draft to Fyfe with his height/ability in the air, ability to find the ball, flexibility to play half forward/midfield and general athleticism.

I thought they didn’t allow tagging in the u18s

I thought they didn’t allow tagging in the u18s

Technically yes but it's pretty difficult to nail someone down as 'tagging' and enforce this ruling. For example, where do you draw the line between 'tagging' and simply manning up a player as it's not a great idea to leave them open at contests or even around the ground?

Some players get more attention than others but there are none of the more dirty Baker-esque tactics happening at the Under 18's level where a player has someone breathing down their neck the whole game.

I watched 4 of Caleb Poulter's games this year and he had noticeably closer attention in 3 of them.

Matt Rendall saying Adelaide are pretty much guaranteed pick 2 for Crouch. Saints reportedly offering Crouch 4 million over 5 years. If that pushes North to pick 4 I think I’ll just be about done watching AFL. I have strong family ties to north and buy a Roos membership every year. But if the AFL seriously bend you guys over again when you need as much elite talent as possible I’ll honestly rather just watch country footy. It’s bloody sickening.

And if those dimwits at st Kilda do pay crouch that much money they deserve to go another 60 years with no success.
My favou player in the draft is McDonald. But if you guys miss out on Hollands as well as Mcdonald it’s a bloody disgrace. You don’t finish second last on the ladder to get the 4th pick in the draft. The academies can get f****d too.

Matt Rendall saying Adelaide are pretty much guaranteed pick 2 for Crouch. Saints reportedly offering Crouch 4 million over 5 years. If that pushes North to pick 4 I think I’ll just be about done watching AFL. I have strong family ties to north and buy a Roos membership every year. But if the AFL seriously bend you guys over again when you need as much elite talent as possible I’ll honestly rather just watch country footy. It’s bloody sickening.

And if those dimwits at st Kilda do pay crouch that much money they deserve to go another 60 years with no success.
My favou player in the draft is McDonald. But if you guys miss out on Hollands as well as Mcdonald it’s a bloody disgrace. You don’t finish second last on the ladder to get the 4th pick in the draft. The academies can get f****d too.

I don’t think Matt Rendell has much of a clue to be honest.

Everything I have read points to them getting end of first round 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back