Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know enough about him to make that call mate, but I see the traits that will hold their own with Jy & LDU as we go forward.

Physicality over the ball, one touch ball handling skills, and the ability to pin his opponent when he doesn't win it all look to be elite to me, so he would have to be slow (he isn't) or a ball butcher (he isn't) in order to turn out a bust. His size means he will come to hand a bit quicker than most inside mids also.

Is he Chris Judd? No, but I reckon he could end up as good as Cunners, and that's nothing to get upset about.

Good points and just spitballing on this one. I have no horse in the draft race as nobody really should.

There is definitely a place for a young player to provide some coalface grunt yin to Simpkin and LDU's dazzling yang (to steal your recent terminology).

From limited footage Phillips looks to me a neater skilled perhaps less smooth moving version of a young Andrew Swallow.

Split the difference between your comparison and mine and I'd take it.

Personally think we should continue the tradition of last year and trade an early pick this year for greater currency the following year if we can find the right buyer.
Considering the lack of games played this year by potential draftees I assume every club would be wanting this.

Think we just need to gamble with our 2 top picks and back the recruiters

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

A must get from our perspective - this guy and 3 mids with our first 4 picks.

We need more than mids! Already have a good young base of mids with LDU jy potentially Bonar then TT to move in there too... and still few years of cunners and Anderson yet.... one grunt mid additional maybe a polish mid and that should do

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not without risk, would need to one like the godees one where worse case scenario would be a points increase.
If someone wants to get ahead of an academy pick we could do something like split pick 6 (GoDees) and 2021 3rd for mid-1st round this year + 2021 1st. Multiple shots at the first round in consecutive years.

What about Macrae?

Old mate has him #2 on his draftboard
I've loved what I've seen from Finlay.
I must be missing something. Granted I’ve only seen him play school footy a few times and not NAB league but would have expected a kid projected as top 10 to show more signs that he can dominate at that level, even as a yr 11. Looks great when he has it but I haven’t seen him win a ton of his own ball. Maybe playing against powerhouse Haileybury sides doesn’t help.

I must be missing something. Granted I’ve only seen him play school footy a few times and not NAB league but would have expected a kid projected as top 10 to show more signs that he can dominate at that level, even as a yr 11. Looks great when he has it but I haven’t seen him win a ton of his own ball. Maybe playing against powerhouse Haileybury sides doesn’t help.

From games I've watched from last year's NAB League, he's shown signs he can run and carry, be the link man, wins the ball, kick goals and kick on both bloody feet.

Even the most outside players at AFL level win their own ball at junior level. I was reading an article from Champion Data that 40% contested footy was the cut off point. That was Brad Hill at junior level and you don't get more outside than him at AFL level.

There was a list of players taken in the top 50 draft spots who won less than 40% contested ball at junior level. It's a who's who of "who the *?". It was actually topped by our very own Josh Williams.

Even the most outside players at AFL level win their own ball at junior level. I was reading an article from Champion Data that 40% contested footy was the cut off point. That was Brad Hill at junior level and you don't get more outside than him at AFL level.

There was a list of players taken in the top 50 draft spots who won less than 40% contested ball at junior level. It's a who's who of "who the fu**?". It was actually topped by our very own Josh Williams.
Yeah I’m not sure whether he can or can’t, haven’t seen his NAB league numbers, just that I haven’t seen it. Certainly ticks the boxes for skills.

Yeah I’m not sure whether he can or can’t, haven’t seen his NAB league numbers, just that I haven’t seen it. Certainly ticks the boxes for skills.

I guess that is the layer of complexity we have this year. We're going by bottom age performances and not seeing how these types progressed with more responsibility.

I guess that is the layer of complexity we have this year. We're going by bottom age performances and not seeing how these types progressed with more responsibility.
For sure. But we also got Hayden, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Perez off bottom age form. I’d be interested in a survey of early mock drafts vs late ones in predicting player success, and how much actual change there is in that sort of thing over the top age year. (Not that I’m going to do that work myself of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back