Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the "essendon people", as Worsfold would put it, who are the actually issue down there?

It seems to me that he's pretty much on the money.

They need an autocratic, no bullshit, arse kicker type of bloke like Balme to walk in there, kick heads, and clear out the rats nests.

I also reckon a lot of this was created on the back of the ASADA thing when those at the helm were doing everything they could do to placate the supporters & moneyed types, in order to stop the place from completely falling apart, and now that has come home to roost.

* off. They need keep doing exactly what they have done for the past 15 years.

I'd cool my jets on that for the moment, but in the event it happens then it could be offset by the fact that he's playing for North.

Would you downgrade pick 9 one spot for Zac Williams?

The NGA kids that are going to be taken are gone anyway. I don't view that as a loss.

The more important thing is that the hand is forced on these picks before our next 1st round pick, and that definitely is within our power.
Yeah, quite right that Williams might not leave GWS. Would love if he came to North though and wouldn't be concerned an iota about a one pick downgrade for that.

Have never agreed though with the point that you, TPA and many others have expressed that there is no consequence to picks being pushed out by NGA kids. Just because they were never available doesn't mean the ones that are available are just as good. If pick 9 becomes pick 14, we are still getting the 14th best player rather than the 9th, with the NGA system having a real affect on drafting outcomes. (Am aware that it's not as simple as that, with talent not being a straight line through the draft and we could still get the player we wanted, nevertheless the point holds as the further into the draft you go the lesser the talent available.)

Have never agreed though with the point that you, TPA and many others have expressed that there is no consequence to picks being pushed out by NGA kids. Just because they were never available doesn't mean the ones that are available are just as good. If pick 9 becomes pick 14, we are still getting the 14th best player rather than the 9th, with the NGA system having a real affect on drafting outcomes. (Am aware that it's not as simple as that, with talent not being a straight line through the draft and we could still get the player we wanted, nevertheless the point holds as the further into the draft you go the lesser the talent available.)

Of course there's a consequence, but there's not a damn thing we can do about it so we put it out of our plans, aside from bidding on them as a draft strategy.

Yeah, quite right that Williams might not leave GWS. Would love if he came to North though and wouldn't be concerned an iota about a one pick downgrade for that.

Them being separate from the draft pool available to everyone is a separate issue.

I agree with you it’s a joke.

There should be a centralized AFL academy that encompasses all players from non traditional football states, with a hub in each of those state

Those players should be draftable by any of the 18 clubs.

This won’t happen, because these aren’t designed to grow the game, they’re designed to manufacture outcomes for those teams in NSW and QLD.

Was that the guy that allegedly told North not to bother drafting him?
From the HUN way back when, from memory his old man alleged our recruiters bullied his son but we were cleared of any wrongdoing:

"THE father of a leading AFL draft prospect could be investigated for his behaviour towards several clubs' recruiters.

It is understood at least three clubs have been disappointed with the conduct of a father of a top-20 draft prospect.

The Herald Sun has chosen not to name the player.

At least one interstate club is considering asking the AFL to investigate. A recruiting source alleged the father had acted aggressively, in an attempt to ward the club off recruiting his son.

The league is aware of the concern, but was adamant today that an official investigation has not been lodged."

From the HUN way back when, from memory his old man alleged our recruiters bullied his son but we were cleared of any wrongdoing:

"THE father of a leading AFL draft prospect could be investigated for his behaviour towards several clubs' recruiters.

It is understood at least three clubs have been disappointed with the conduct of a father of a top-20 draft prospect.

At least one interstate club is considering asking the AFL to investigate. A recruiting source alleged the father had acted aggressively, in an attempt to ward the club off recruiting his son.

The league is aware of the concern, but was adamant today that an official investigation has not been lodged."

Was that the guy that allegedly told North not to bother drafting him?

So his son signs for *
seems fitting somehow

They need an autocratic, no bullshit, arse kicker type of bloke like Balme to walk in there, kick heads, and clear out the rats nests.

It's Essendon - if you clear out the rats nests, is there anything actually left?

The usual arrogant Essendon coaching staff would have rathered give that midfield time to superstars like Craig Bird and David Myers in 2017. Hell even last year he should have been given more stoppage time, and people wonder why Essendon are having development issues.
I feel like Zaka's career stalling really hurt Essendon. I consider him one of the biggest footballing disappointments of the last decade.

I feel like Zaka's career stalling really hurt Essendon. I consider him one of the biggest footballing disappointments of the last decade.
He was a player that often relied on the likes of Watson to feed him the ball, dangerous when aloud to roam free but he has lost a yard of pace and hasn’t ever shown much defensive nous which the club has tried to address this year.

He was a player that often relied on the likes of Watson to feed him the ball, dangerous when aloud to roam free but he has lost a yard of pace and hasn’t ever shown much defensive nous which the club has tried to address this year.

does anyone else here really not give a s#%t about this.

does anyone else here really not give a s#%t about this.

I care for a Johnny come lately ragging on a valued opposition contributor of this board.

Don't read it.

Was the best case of karma.
I think Hartung’s old man also was known to be “too involved” in his sons career. That went well too..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care for a Johnny come lately ragging on a valued opposition contributor of this board.

Don't read it.

Your quite right was out of line, I do get a little irrational when it comes to matters concerning essendrugs.
So, with unconditional apologies I’ll leave you and your longtime boyfriend to it.

Nope. Rowell had the better school performances as well.

Anyway, redundant conversation in terms of Norths draft this year, as Rowell isn’t in this draft.
The rumour his he focussed more on Arts/History than STEM.... The leather notebook shown during the season is pretty confirmatory evidence.

It's a bit easier for an A in interpretative dance than Rocket sciences, so no surprise people assume he did better at school.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't see us finishing bottom with our list.... and potential additions....if we do entire coaching staff will be gone!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
l see us next year as being higher up than most think. Put us back at Marvel, with a full list of players and let Shaw coach the way he wants to coach without all the restrictions he has had to deal with in his first full season as coach and we will surprise a lot of people...l dont mind the idea of offering up our 2021 first pick for Gold Coasts 2020 first pick #5 if we could get it done. Then we have #2, #5, #9, and #25 as our first 4 picks this year.

l see us next year as being higher up than most think. Put us back at Marvel, with a full list of players and let Shaw coach the way he wants to coach without all the restrictions he has had to deal with in his first full season as coach and we will surprise a lot of people...l dont mind the idea of offering up our 2021 first pick for Gold Coasts 2020 first pick #5 if we could get it done. Then we have #2, #5, #9, and #25 as our first 4 picks this year.
Next year's draft is packed with midfielders, has next to no academy dilution, and is forecast as particularly strong even without the 19 year old Vic kids that will slip through this year's draft. We would be completely mad to trade what is probably a top 5 pick in that draft for one in the most speculative pool ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back