Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-AFL recruiter Matt Rendell backs Essendon to trade up in draft picks to nab Perth’s Logan McDonald

Catherine Healey
The West Australian
Fri, 9 October 2020

Ex-AFL recruiter Matt Rendell says WA draft hopeful Logan McDonald could remain in black and red in 2021, with Essendon in the box seat to nab the rising star.
Perth’s McDonald, who finished runner up for the Bernie Naylor Medal as WAFL leading goal kicker in 2020, is the ideal replacement for departing Bomber Joe Daniher.
And Rendell says there’s one play to be made in trade week to ensure McDonald’s a Bomber in 2021.

“(Essendon) could end up with picks six, seven or eight,” Rendall said on SEN.
“I’m hearing a bit of noise that Essendon could package up a couple of those picks to give Adelaide — if they get compensation for Brad Crouch — for pick two.
“And if that was the case they’d get McDonald to replace Daniher.
“And if I was the Crows, I’d do that deal if it comes to fruition. Sounds like a win-win to me all round.”
Adelaide, who has pick one in the 2020 AFL Draft, look set to take South Australian ruck/forward Riley Thilthorpe with pick one.
But Rendell says McDonald has all the attributes to go first pick.

“The big challenger for (Riley) Thilthorpe is Logan McDonald out of Perth, he had a super year,” he said.
“He has improved apparently out of sight. Adelaide could be tossing up (selecting McDonald) but it would be hard to get away from taking (Thilthorpe) a 200cm ruck/forward who is based in Adelaide.”
Rendell, a former recruiter for Adelaide and Collingwood, was full of praise for McDonald and warned whoever takes the Perth young gun that West Coast will come calling.
“I hear Logan McDonald is a really loyal, great kid but if he goes to another club outside of WA, I reckon the West Coast people will be on the phone into 20 seconds working out a deal with his manager to try and get him back, because you think he’d be a logical replacement for Josh Kennedy who’s got a year, two tops,” Rendell warned.
“That would be the risk taking him over Thilthorpe.”
Collingwood and Port Adelaide are reportedly the only two AFL clubs who are yet to speak with McDonald about his future.
The AFL Draft will take place on December 7.

Geez, he’s drawing some long bows there. That scenario would be 1000-1 to play out.

At the insistence of phillyroo checked out Holland's highlights. I get t he hype. Also checked out McDonald & Phillips. Unsurprisingly, Holland's is my pick for pick two if available.

I'll look at others when I know what picks we actually end up with. But if we could nab Phillips with our second pick that would be grouse. His highlights got better the more they went on.

Ok.... firstly I truly believe that the crows really want McDonald... he is exactly what they need, and this is the KP draft, they want the best one.
Secondly, I reckon there is stuff all chance that the crows get pick 2 as compensation for Crouch.
Thirdly, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the compensation for Daniher is end of first at best.
Fourthly the Saad one will be interesting, Dodoro is a pig headed fool and could really stuff up his hand in this one.

I would be shocked if McDonald some how found his way to ****

Thought crows were back on thirly based on recent articles

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please take McDonald at #1, Adelaide, much prefer a decade midfielder at #2.

I'm really intrigued by a Cox vs McDonald/Grainger-Barras/Thilthorpe comparison.

Reckon Cox at our second pick would be outrageous (#HighlightsVideoDraftingExpert).

Last edited:
I will be interested to see how Bailey Laurie tests. Super evasive and a lovely kick, i can see him being developed into a creative outlet off half back at the next level, much like Caleb Daniel or Liam Baker.

Can also see some good midfield potential there. Some similarities to his Oakleigh team mate Will Phillips in the way he moves.

giantroo love yer work

Last edited:
I will be interested to see how Bailey Laurie tests. Super evasive and a lovely kick, i can see him being developed into a creative outlet off half back at the next level, much like Caleb Daniel or Liam Baker.

Nice footskills and has good vision.
What’s his likely draft position

Hollands, Cox/Reid, Laurie would be nice with our current picks.

It would be great if we could turn Brown into a pick in the 5-8 range and Higgins to 15-16 and turn them into Phillips and Callow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poulter looks like an option.

190cm mid who finds the footy, late birthday perhaps some growth still to come and penetrating left boot.

There's some nice looking types there, but I was more referring to the fact we need to get another young ruck on to the list, and this kid is an endurance beast a la Goldstein.

Yeah 6:35 2K time is elite especially for a 202cm ruckman.

:thumbsu:

He'd do nicely at our 2nd round pick. Get him in and training with Goldy for a couple of years.

Poulter looks like an option.

190cm mid who finds the footy, late birthday perhaps some growth still to come and penetrating left boot.

Further on Poulter

Testing at SA combine decent with equal first in running jump, 4th in 20m sprint with 3.05 and equal 4th in 2K with 6:38.

From a list management point of view I'm strongly of the view that we should be taking a ruckmen with our 2nd rounder.

Max Heath and Shannon Neale are both great sizes who have improved a lot in the last year with greater scope for development - very exciting prospects who are a genuine ruck size and would develop into full-time ruckmen in due time. We don't have another genuine fulltime ruckmen on the list for when Goldstein calls it quits. I don't buy in to Xerri or Comben ever being a full-time ruckmen so we need to invest in one at this draft unless we plan on drafting a mature age one.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Max Heath - the hype around him was around his practice matches this year before the season was called off in which he showed a tremendous amount of improvement from last year.

Goldstein has another 2 seasons in him IMO. Drafting a ruckmen now will give them 2 years to learn from one of the best ruckmen in the last decade and build a body capable of playing some footy at the top level when Goldy finishes up.

Last edited:
Further on Poulter

Testing at SA combine decent with equal first in running jump, 4th in 20m sprint with 3.05 and equal 4th in 2K with 6:38.
I wouldn't read much in the place. Because it's only against a handful of others. Same goes for the WA combine.
Comparing the time to last years would give us a better idea.

20m sprint (seconds)
Sam Philp 2.867
Ben Johnson 2.885
Malcolm Rosas 2.924
Mitch Georgiades 2.925
Noah Cumberland 2.931
Finn Maginness 2.957
Harrison Jones 2.963
Jeremy Sharp 2.966
Brady Rowles 2.968
Dylan Stephens 2.972

2km time trial results (min:sec)
Jay Rantall 5:50 minutes
Finn Maginness 5:51
Dylan Stephens 6:01
Louis Butler 6:09
Hugo Ralphsmith 6:12
Jeremy Sharp 6:12

Can also see some good midfield potential there. Some similarities to his Oakleigh team mate Will Phillips in the way he moves.

giantroo love yer work

This guy looks very impressive. Nice bit of roving off the pack at one point in that clip. Could we play him as a crumbing forward to begin with?

BOMBERS TO SOFTEN THE BLOW OF DEPARTING DUO?

Former Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell believes Essendon could trade draft picks from the departures of Joe Daniher and Adam Saad to move up in the order and acquire West Australian youngster Logan McDonald.

McDonald is considered one of the most promising key forwards in this year’s draft pool, while Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is all-but-certain to get to the Dogs given his Next Generation Academy link.

Speaking on SEN, Rendell explained why the Bombers might package up some of their picks from Daniher and Saad deals (should they go through) and trade with Adelaide to move up the order.

“(Essendon) could end up with picks six, seven or eight,” he said.

“I’m hearing a bit of noise that Essendon could package up a couple of those picks to give Adelaide, if they get compensation for Brad Crouch, for pick two.

“And if that was the case they’d get McDonald to replace Daniher. If I was the Crows, I’d do that deal if it comes to fruition. Sounds like a win-win to me all round.”

Rendell warned that, although McDonald’s ceiling is high, the home factor of WA could hinder Essendon’s chances of retaining him.

“I hear Logan McDonald is a really loyal, great kid but if he goes to another club outside of WA, I reckon the West Coast people will be on the phone in 20 seconds working out a deal with his manager to try and get him back,” he said.

“Because you think he’d be a logical replacement for Josh Kennedy, who’s got a year, two tops.”

The Crows are more likely to be interested in Riley Thilthorpe, a South Australian who looms as another key forward of the future.

:think: :think: :think:

BOMBERS TO SOFTEN THE BLOW OF DEPARTING DUO?

Former Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell believes Essendon could trade draft picks from the departures of Joe Daniher and Adam Saad to move up in the order and acquire West Australian youngster Logan McDonald.

McDonald is considered one of the most promising key forwards in this year’s draft pool, while Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is all-but-certain to get to the Dogs given his Next Generation Academy link.

Speaking on SEN, Rendell explained why the Bombers might package up some of their picks from Daniher and Saad deals (should they go through) and trade with Adelaide to move up the order.

“(Essendon) could end up with picks six, seven or eight,” he said.

“I’m hearing a bit of noise that Essendon could package up a couple of those picks to give Adelaide, if they get compensation for Brad Crouch, for pick two.

“And if that was the case they’d get McDonald to replace Daniher. If I was the Crows, I’d do that deal if it comes to fruition. Sounds like a win-win to me all round.”

Rendell warned that, although McDonald’s ceiling is high, the home factor of WA could hinder Essendon’s chances of retaining him.

“I hear Logan McDonald is a really loyal, great kid but if he goes to another club outside of WA, I reckon the West Coast people will be on the phone in 20 seconds working out a deal with his manager to try and get him back,” he said.

“Because you think he’d be a logical replacement for Josh Kennedy, who’s got a year, two tops.”

The Crows are more likely to be interested in Riley Thilthorpe, a South Australian who looms as another key forward of the future.

:think: :think: :think:

Tell him his dreamin !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back