Pretty self-explanatory, here's my first crack at it:

FB: Van Dyk, Pound
HB: Laloifi Jones Stevens
C: Dalton Prespakis Gee
HF: Vescio Harris Doonan
FF: Walker Downie

R: Moody Harrington S.Hosking

Int: Brazzale, Egan, J.Hosking, McEvoy, Edwards/McKay

Laloifi, Jones and Doonan appear to have been brought in as immediate reinforcements at either end, while Egan and McEvoy come in on talent and output. Everything else largely picks itself based on last year, with the exception being Harrington, who might get shuffled into the midfield to replace the role that Davey played for us last season.

Edwards and McKay will fight it out for that last midfield rotation, but hopefully this line-up has us slightly more pacy through the middle of the ground when required. Wilson, Woods and Harrison might feature through the season, with Whiting an outside chance to appear.

The most glaring issue I can spot is the secondary ruck role should one of Moody or Downie succumb to injury... maybe Harrison, Harris or Wilson? It's a short defence, but each player has excellent positioning, read and body work, and generally distribute the ball well. Van Dyk might lose her spot to Wilson if the former doesn't progress her fitness, but that's about it really.

Teamboard is, as always, in my signature. Enjoy!

Laloifi, Jones and Doonan appear to have been brought in as immediate reinforcements at either end, while Egan and McEvoy come in on talent and output. Everything else largely picks itself based on last year, with the exception being Harrington, who might get shuffled into the midfield to replace the role that Davey played for us last season.

Edwards and McKay will fight it out for that last midfield rotation, but hopefully this line-up has us slightly more pacy through the middle of the ground when required. Wilson, Woods and Harrison might feature through the season, with Whiting an outside chance to appear.

The most glaring issue I can spot is the secondary ruck role should one of Moody or Downie succumb to injury... maybe Harrison, Harris or Wilson? It's a short defence, but each player has excellent positioning, read and body work, and generally distribute the ball well. Van Dyk might lose her spot to Wilson if the former doesn't progress her fitness, but that's about it really.

Teamboard is, as always, in my signature. Enjoy!
Would swap Vescio and Walker. Walkers is at her best in space, where her speed is a big asset. Her, running back to goal would be hard to stop. Vescio better closer to goals, she is a better 1 on 1 player, and one of the AFLW players that can turn a small opening into a goal. Would also start McEvoy. Think she will be top 3 or 4 players by years end.

Would swap Vescio and Walker. Walkers is at her best in space, where her speed is a big asset. Her, running back to goal would be hard to stop. Vescio better closer to goals, she is a better 1 on 1 player, and one of the AFLW players that can turn a small opening into a goal. Would also start McEvoy. Think she will be top 3 or 4 players by years end.
I think Vescio and Walker will regularly swap, and I think they'll both get involved in the midfield at times, particularly Walker off the wing. The main reasoning for Vescio at HF is that it's easier for her to get involved up the ground.

I question where McEvoy's fitness will be at based on some of her junior tape, hence why I have her as an option off the bench. She also might rotate through either end for a while because of it.

So if the latest pre-season squad and reports are any guide:

CARLTON
1. Grace Egan, 2. Katie Loynes, 3. Darcy Vescio, 4. Madison Prespakis, 5. Abbie McKay, 6. Gab Pound, 7. Tayla Harris, 8, Vaomua Laloifi, 9. Kerryn Harrington, 10. Sarah Hosking, 11. Jess Hosking, 12. Lauren Brazzale, 13. Lucy McEvoy, 14. Brooke Walker, 15. Chloe Dalton, 16. Breann Moody, 19. Georgia Gee, 20. Charlotte Wilson, 21. Nicola Stevens, 25. Jess Edwards, 26. Joanne Doonan, 30. Alison Downie, 32. Nat Plane, 36. Jayde Van Dyk

Things are looking more like this for R1:

HB: Laloifi McEvoy Stevens

R: Moody Harrington Egan

Int: Brazzale, S.Hosking, J.Hosking, Edwards, Wilson/McKay

Maybe a touch undersized in defence, but a lot of players that can play reasonable tall. The ability to swap Harrington and McEvoy as needed is a smart move.

So if the latest pre-season squad and reports are any guide:

Things are looking more like this for R1:

HB: Laloifi McEvoy Stevens

R: Moody Harrington Egan

Int: Brazzale, S.Hosking, J.Hosking, Edwards, Wilson/McKay

Maybe a touch undersized in defence, but a lot of players that can play reasonable tall. The ability to swap Harrington and McEvoy as needed is a smart move.

Is Vernon currently surplus time the best 24, or is she injured? Does anyone know ?

Understood, plenty of them will be playing Round 1 and I had seen her in some older best 21 articles in November.

A good sign for the blues if she is depth.
She would have played in season 1 for sure, but I think our defensive setup is too good to make space for her unless 2 of Wilson, Harrington and McEvoy aren't fit to play.

No shame in that, she's got some great qualities and should develop quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back