AFLW 2020 AFLW draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 6: Tyanna Smith

Pos Midfielder/defender
Ht 167cm, DOB 29/10/02
From Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Smith embodies the best of both worlds, a hard, contested player with elite disposal. Coming from a basketball background, the Stingray has a neat sidestep, with the agility, speed and vision to extract herself from stoppages. It makes sense the AFLW players she looks up to are Monique Conti and Chloe Molloy. An All Australian at last year's NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships.

Pick 24: Alice Burke

Position: Midfielder/Defender
Height: 165cm
From Dandenong Dragons/Vic Metro
Strengths: Footy smarts, tackling, leadership, accumulation, work rate

Pick 34: Renee Saulitis

Height: 165cm
Position: Utility
From Dandenong Dragons/Vic Metro
Strengths: Goal sense, class, versatility, X-factor, agility

Pick 40: Jacqui Vogt

Not much info on Jacqui other than she played for the Southen Saints last year

Pick 51: Passed

and that's it for the 2020 Draft.
Wish all the girls the best.

Last edited:
On Jacqui, "mid" aged, had a stint in soccer a few years back but not sure on recent outside of popping up with the Southern Saints, so you'd expect some sense of the play occurring ahead and as she's considered on the small size, is of course a small forward which I assume would be starting slot regardless, but should still push into HFF area.

On Jacqui, "mid" aged, had a stint in soccer a few years back but not sure on recent outside of popping up with the Southern Saints, so you'd expect some sense of the play occurring ahead and as she's considered on the small size, is of course a small forward which I assume would be starting slot regardless, but should still push into HFF area.

yeah, thanks a quick search didn't reveal much about her.

On the Saints passing at pick 50, seems a lot of clubs are passing to get access to interstate players

On the Saints passing at pick 50, seems a lot of clubs are passing to get access to interstate players

Yeah I just saw that. So you can only draft locally in state, then whoever doesn't get picked up can be taken afterwards from another state? Something like that?

Yeah I just saw that. So you can only draft locally in state, then whoever doesn't get picked up can be taken afterwards from another state? Something like that?
correct, the players nominate a zone. Vic Metro, Geelong, NSW, Qld, WA etc.., to select outside of that pool the player has to agree to the move

It's in its infancy for sure, but I think she played 2 games for the SSaints and they were both as small forward, and like Munga, I seem to recall that she had a soccer stint a bit ago.

Soccer bores me as a sport since it's chess not on a timer where pawns move and nothing important happens to checkmate or happens rarely, but it's still chess so you still learn to track play, see it unfold, engineer it and motor movement to track ball with foot skills. So since at least I saw one game, didn't really rate a mention but hey, always liked the name so it stuck.

But between say whenever she played soccer and then popped up for "us" before they were us; NFI. Just know that she was like 160ish, a bit stocky of a build and seemed to play forward, but also had some toe and agility to her so not a "slow" small or defensively minded or like the undersized kids that generally get picked for the role.

Reckon we're building a very well rounded team. Excellent young midfield, dynamic forwards, bolstered the back line w trade ins - super keen for next season, I think we'll surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back