Women's Footy 2020 AFLW Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read this.

GWS 5.7.37 d Bris 0.3.3
GWS goals: Nielsen 2, Beeson, Bonner, Schmidt
Bris goals: none

And some thoughts from the games I got to watch this weekend:

Brisbane
Same old crap that cost them a premiership, halfback swarming with loose players getting in the way of each other. When a rare Lions I50 occurred, here comes Jesse Wardlaw with another clanger--she could eat rabbit organs from a Wuhan wholesale market right now and still not catch the coronavirus. Brianna McFarlane showed some good examples of clean marking high and low though. And probably the best news out of the day for them was Sophie Conway recovering after a heavy tackle, initially looked like she'd re-done her knee.

GWS Giants
Coach McConnell last week said their 2020 pre-season focus had been more on cleaning up fundamental skills which is a good albeit obvious read on their situation. Hesitant to make any more predictions about my failed 2019 flag fancies, but they really should be finishing 3rd at worst in ConA this year and thus making finals.

Sounds like u/12’s footy.

No matter how you cut it, not being able to kick a single goal in a game of footy is beyond poor.
I really believe it’s going to be 10 years before Brisbane or Gold Coast become relevant at AFLW level.

And that’s only if we don’t lose any of the draftees coming through from last year and onwards to work, family and life outside of footy.

Not even contemplating the odd academy girl choosing a Vic team or GWS to experience some success.

A win is good for team confidence.
But lack of scoring is still the same problem we have to address and quickly.
Practice matches should be high scoring no matter who you play.
Both teams could only score 2 goals each in 40 minutes of play. It may be close but in general would be boring to watch.
We may not have the greatest players going around but need to play more offence style of game even if we get beaten regularly.

Coach Starcevich has a couple of grand final appearances on the board so get's some extra credits for that.
However his job should and will be on the line if he does not adapt to a better game style in 2020.

Local crowd numbers have been good during the early years and hopefully with more games at a more central Hickey Park in 2020 this may continue.
However they move to Springfield next year and need to at least entertain the crowd if they want a regular following out Springfield way.

I have attended all our local games since the start of AFLW but this may well be a deciding year for me. I attend games with family friends so they will sway my decision in the end.

Hope they all surprise us like year one and have a good year.

EDIT :Latest from Lions Ready for start of AFLW 2022

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However his job should and will be on the line if he does not adapt to a better game style in 2020.
I think that's a bit of ignoring of reality. We lost our captain, a vice-captain, the players who came #2 and #7 in our B&F, plus a number of other valuable players. This is almost season 1 again for us while other clubs have largely retained their players.

I think that's a bit of ignoring of reality. We lost our captain, a vice-captain, the players who came #2 and #7 in our B&F, plus a number of other valuable players. This is almost season 1 again for us while other clubs have largely retained their players.
To be fair dlanod, there’s been a little criticism on the AFLW board of our play.

Some of it being players unable to execute skills.

Some of it is definitely tactics related. Especially us loading our defence, but then our own players getting in the way of each other, and then our inability to move the ball forward.

Would also help if many of our skilled players weren’t short people.

I believe that will be one of our problems against many teams.

Our midfield will on a whole be shorter and physically smaller than most opposition teams.

Not sure how our defence and forwards will stack up size wise either.

Maybe so but i have not noticed any change of game plan.
Still defence orientated since year one.
We got away with it then but not any more.

I still think he will be under big pressure.
For me it's not about the players we lost it is about who we bought in.
I don't know any of the new ones. Will watch them in round 1.

Were they recruited because they are good defenders no matter what position they play, because that has been Starcevich's game plan.
Or are they attacking players which is what i believe we need??.

Were they recruited because they are good defenders no matter what position they play, because that has been Starcevich's game plan.
1 word. Postlethwait.

Not defensive, 1 of the most skilled midfielders coming out of U18s nationally.

Played as an inside/outside mid/flanker at U18 level, but will need to be an outside mid in AFLW level, both as she is small, and outside plays to her strengths.

Clean, good vision, good decision making, beautiful kick, doesn't panic in traffic.

The sort of player the Lions need, the trick is going to be keeping her supplied with ball without letting her get beat up.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

From here on out we’re pretty much limited to recruiting from our academy and the QAFLW. Players nominate for which zone or zones they are willing to be drafted to.

QLD is basically divided along academy lines, so there is a Gold Coast “zone”, Lions “zone”, and an All of QLD zone (other words, willing to be drafted to either team). Gold Coast also have their Darwin zone they can recruit from.

Any one from interstate nominating any QLD zone will be because they weren’t good enough to be drafted by their local AFLW team/s, and they want to chase their AFLW dream.

Recently Gold Coast has been producing more U18 AA girls. They had 3 defenders in last years AA team. Where as we had 1 midfielder on the interchange bench.

I believe Starcevich is pretty safe as long as he remains AFLQ’s women’s high performance coach. So not only does Starcevich coach the Lions team, he oversees the state U18 team.

Expectations will be different for the next few years I suspect - probably until the competition fully expands to all 18 teams. Any talk of Starcevich or anyone else high up at the club is a little silly. GWS practise match last weekend only confirmed what we should have been expecting.

Suns introduction isn't a bad thing for Queensland football - it will speed up development - but in the short term 2/14 teams based in Queensland was always going to be a strain on the local talent. Add in consecutive years of raids by Victorian clubs on the interstate talent we had and the current situation can only be expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back