Women's Footy 2020 AFLW Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I came into this thread hoping to find information about the scratch match that took place between our two clubs this weekend but I feel it's necessary to clear up a few things for some posters in this thread.

Most of the state looks to be in their zone. Plus some of another state if ya don't mind! I feel like Brisbane are getting screwed. No doubt we'll still be the better team despite the fact that everything gets handed to them on a platter and they still manage to be duds.
Brisbane are most definitely not getting screwed when it comes to the split of zones in Queensland. We have the most challenging academy zone of all the northern clubs due to the sparsely spread of population between regional towns in our zone. The distance between the Gold Coast and Cairns is GREATER than the distance between the Gold Coast and Melbourne, just to put things in perspective. Then you look at the population density difference. They estimate about 450k people live in central and north QLD and there's close to 600k living on the Gold and Tweed Coasts. Brisbane alone has a population of more than double our entire zone with more than 2.3 million! Then you add in the Sunshine Coast (350k+) which is conveniently located an hour away and I don't see how you could possibly argue Brisbane are getting screwed when compared to us.

I think it should also be mentioned that Kaslar grew up in Cairns (our zone), moved to the GC in her early 20s, has lived here ever since and is very much a local. She also happens to be the captain of our very first women's team in the exhibition match we played against the Lions back in 2016. Here's an interview with her talking about captaining the Suns back in 2016 and here's a recent one from the last week titled 'My Home' where Leah talks about supporting the Suns from our inception and that she considers the GC home. The same can be said about Lauren Bella for those who are aware of her story but if you're in the know then you would have been aware that Kaslar and Bella were always coming back to us as soon as we were given an AFLW licence.

Anyway. Does anyone here know how the girls went in the scratch match between our two clubs?

I came into this thread hoping to find information about the scratch match that took place between our two clubs this weekend but I feel it's necessary to clear up a few things for some posters in this thread.

Brisbane are most definitely not getting screwed when it comes to the split of zones in Queensland. We have the most challenging academy zone of all the northern clubs due to the sparsely spread of population between regional towns in our zone. The distance between the Gold Coast and Cairns is GREATER than the distance between the Gold Coast and Melbourne, just to put things in perspective. Then you look at the population density difference. They estimate about 450k people live in central and north QLD and there's close to 600k living on the Gold and Tweed Coasts. Brisbane alone has a population of more than double our entire zone with more than 2.3 million! Then you add in the Sunshine Coast (350k+) which is conveniently located an hour away and I don't see how you could possibly argue Brisbane are getting screwed when compared to us.

I think it should also be mentioned that Kaslar grew up in Cairns (our zone), moved to the GC in her early 20s, has lived here ever since and is very much a local. She also happens to be the captain of our very first women's team in the exhibition match we played against the Lions back in 2016. Here's an interview with her talking about captaining the Suns back in 2016 and here's a recent one from the last week titled 'My Home' where Leah talks about supporting the Suns from our inception and that she considers the GC home. The same can be said about Lauren Bella for those who are aware of her story but if you're in the know then you would have been aware that Kaslar and Bella were always coming back to us as soon as we were given an AFLW licence.

Anyway. Does anyone here know how the girls went in the scratch match between our two clubs?
Sarah Black reported that Bris GCS was one of 2 closed sessions, electing not to report any info. So no, no one but staff know how it went, and it seems they are not talking.

Isn’t Logan part of your zone?

I believe you have at least a million+ people in the Gold and Tweed Coast part of your zone.

Sarah Black reported that Bris GCS was one of 2 closed sessions, electing not to report any info. So no, no one but staff know how it went, and it seems they are not talking.
I wish either the Lions or my club would report on this.

Isn’t Logan part of your zone?

I believe you have at least a million+ people in the Gold and Tweed Coast part of your zone.
Part of Logan is in your zone and part of it is in our zone. It would appear we got the larger portion of Logan but even if we had the entirety of Logan, there is only 300,000 people living there. By the way, Ipswich happens to be a part of your zone that I didn't mention either.

At best we're looking at about 1.3 million people in our entire zone. Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast alone account for double the population of our whole zone and then you add in Ipswich (200k), the Darling Downs (250k), the Moreton Bay region (460k), the Wide Bay region (300k) etc. Well over 3 million people living in Brisbane's zone.

I wish either the Lions or my club would report on this.

Part of Logan is in your zone and part of it is in our zone. It would appear we got the larger portion of Logan but even if we had the entirety of Logan, there is only 300,000 people living there. By the way, Ipswich happens to be a part of your zone that I didn't mention either.

At best we're looking at about 1.3 million people in our entire zone. Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast alone account for double the population of our whole zone and then you add in Ipswich (200k), the Darling Downs (250k), the Moreton Bay region (460k), the Wide Bay region (300k) etc. Well over 3 million people living in Brisbane's zone.

I think it's just as well that we have a higher population density in our zones (and therefore more potential players to choose from) because we would do a better job with what we can get.

I think it's just as well that we have a higher population density in our zones (and therefore more potential players to choose from) because we would do a better job with what we can get.
Are you saying the Lions do a better job than GC in developing junior talent?

If it is, I’d like to know what LionsMaw is basing it on.

From the outside, with no knowledge what so ever, it seems GC’s academy is doing just fine.
From my also limited knowledge, I would say that we have done really quite well in developing the big boys. Where for them it is the opposite.

From my also limited knowledge, I would say that we have done really quite well in developing the big boys. Where for them it is the opposite.
My guess, it’s just the luck of draw as to what type of talented kids come through either academy.

Seems like an unnecessary cheap shot that's based on nothing. Worth noting that only one Queensland academy has produced a top 10 draft pick in its history that was us when we drafted Jack Bowes.

Probably also worth noting that there is a big difference between developing an academy player and developing a drafted player on your senior/rookie AFL list. This was evident with Harris Andrews who was taken with the 61st pick in the 2014 draft and is now a current All-Australian defender. It wasn't your academy program that developed him into an elite player, it was your AFL program.

From the AFLW website.
The Carlton v St Kilda scratch match was closed, with the clubs choosing not to publish any information about what played out, while Gold Coast v Brisbane was washed out due to some wet and wild weather
https://womens.afl/news/41266/clubs-blow-off-the-cobwebs-in-first-hitouts-for-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like an unnecessary cheap shot that's based on nothing. Worth noting that only one Queensland academy has produced a top 10 draft pick in its history that was us when we drafted Jack Bowes.

Probably also worth noting that there is a big difference between developing an academy player and developing a drafted player on your senior/rookie AFL list. This was evident with Harris Andrews who was taken with the 61st pick in the 2014 draft and is now a current All-Australian defender. It wasn't your academy program that developed him into an elite player, it was your AFL program.

All good mate, I wouldn’t take much notice of this poster. Good luck with the 2020 season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For those that missed this news.
I don't think Jess will be winning Lotto anytime soon.

I dunno, struck by lightening and physically OK? Reckon she should be loading up on tickets. Hopefully she bounces back quickly and it doesn't leave any lasting effects on her

Last edited:
Must have had her rubber Boots/Gumboots on?
ABC America article on why 9 out of 10 people survive lightning strike.
A concern for Jess is this part of the article at the end.
Hope she will be okay in the future.

Surviving is only half the battle
Many survivors of lightning strikes are left with debilitating injuries that could change them forever, said Jensenius.

Lightning strikes can cause many long-term health problems, including muscle soreness, headaches, cognitive problems and nausea.

"Your nerves are not used to having that amount of electricity go through them and that can cause cognitive problems. Many victims face a loss of memory and find themselves unable to focus. Some have problems multi-tasking. Their moods may change, they may suffer from depression, they may not be the same person that they were before the lightning struck them," Jensenius said.

Full link to article for those interested.

ABC America article on why 9 out of 10 people survive lightning strike.
A concern for Jess is this part of the article at the end.
Hope she will be okay in the future.

Surviving is only half the battle
Many survivors of lightning strikes are left with debilitating injuries that could change them forever, said Jensenius.

Lightning strikes can cause many long-term health problems, including muscle soreness, headaches, cognitive problems and nausea.

"Your nerves are not used to having that amount of electricity go through them and that can cause cognitive problems. Many victims face a loss of memory and find themselves unable to focus. Some have problems multi-tasking. Their moods may change, they may suffer from depression, they may not be the same person that they were before the lightning struck them," Jensenius said.

Full link to article for those interested.
Symptoms sound similar to concussion 🤕

Remove this Banner Ad

Back