2020 AFLW R7 vs StKilda (Sun 22 Mar 6.10pm @ Victoria Park) - nope, immediate finals details to be confirmed

Oh God, I have been so looking forward to attending this game. But it’s not about me. Go girls, playing to a non-crowd in Brisbane didn’t stop us. We will prevail.

(Feeling a bit emotional)
Twilight at VicPark would have been good

NOT HAPPY

Confirmation of immediate finals, but no details on the number sides by the AFL.

If it's a reduced or same number of teams they should just cancel the comp. What is already a heavily compromised fixture has now been significantly further compromised. We had games against StKilda (2W-4L) and Geelong (2W-4L) - commentators were confident last week that we'd win both. Carlton had games against WC (1-5) and Freo (6-0). Melbourne had Freo (6-0) and GC (3-2-1). Fair chance we'd have jumped at least one of the three sides above us.

The players suggestion of the top 4 from each group playing a 3 week finals series has merit as it gives some chance (albeit more difficult) to the sides like us who would have been favoured to jump into the top 3. For the sake of one extra week it would be much fairer.

To finish the season in 3 weeks would see a likely fixture of

Week 1)
Final 1) 1st Group A (NM) vs 4th Group B (Coll)​
Final 2) 2nd Group A (GWS) vs 3rd Group B (Melb)​
Final 3) 3rd Group A (BL) vs 2nd Group B (Carl)​
Final 4) 4th Group A (GC) vs 1st Group B (Freo)​
Week 2)
Winner NM/Coll vs Winner GWS/Melb​
Winner BL/Carl vs Winner GC/Freo​
Week 3)
Week 2 winners versus each other in the grand final​

The players suggestion of the top 4 from each group playing a 3 week finals series has merit as it gives some chance (albeit more difficult) to the sides like us who would have been favoured to jump into the top 3. For the sake of one extra week it would be much fairer.

Week 1)
Week 2)
Week 3)
Slight amendment I imagine would be swapping the round two games of GWS/Melb and BL/Carl so that teams 1 and 2 in the same conference don’t likely meet in the prelims. Can’t see any issue with my proposed change to ensure maximum crossing of the draw?

Slight amendment I imagine would be swapping the round two games of GWS/Melb and BL/Carl so that teams 1 and 2 in the same conference don’t likely meet in the prelims. Can’t see any issue with my proposed change to ensure maximum crossing of the draw?
Yep, seems more logical.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Week 1)
Week 2)
Week 3)

I think they'd go with 1st's v 2nd's, winner straight into the GF, loser getting a 2nd chance against the winners of 3v4.

I think they'd go with 1st's v 2nd's, winner straight into the GF, loser getting a 2nd chance against the winners of 3v4.
If they’re trying to minimise the number of games I’d assume they’d go straight knockout though. I assume fourth was only invited to participate because it would allow them to avoid a circumstance where the home and away season concluding now would unfairly exclude a team with a legitimate claim to probably making the top three.

The AFL has handled this situation as well as anyone, but they mucked this announcement up. Hopefully it drives the players instead of distracting them.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan was vague about the details of the women’s finals series when addressing the media on Wednesday night, however, the Magpies - who are fourth in Conference B and have never made the finals - were of the belief that only the top two teams from each conference would progress.

Watching the press conference after training from their base at the Holden Centre, Pies players wept, believing their season was over. They had even started planning consolatory drinks for Wednesday night.

NM are clearly the best team in it. Could be ugly if we play them

Not disagreeing about NM. They kick big scores too.

But given where we finished last season, and our poor record over the first three seasons of AFLW, I’m extremely happy for our girls to be in this.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
A bit unlucky if we end up with the lowest qualifying spot for finals given we would have gone in as heavy favourites against St Kilda/Geelong and could have moved up to 2nd

I reckon it's opportunity. We probably would have had to play them anyway. It just means we need to beat them a week earlier. We're good enough to.

I"m stoked Rowe and Aishling are staying. That's dedication. It won't get a lot of attention but it should. They'll be stuck here now so I hope we rally around them and sort them out outside of the footy season. They'll need our support and deserve it.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I reckon it's opportunity. We probably would have had to play them anyway. It just means we need to beat them a week earlier. We're good enough to.

I"m stoked Rowe and Aishling are staying. That's dedication. It won't get a lot of attention but it should. They'll be stuck here now so I hope we rally around them and sort them out outside of the footy season. They'll need our support and deserve it.

Great words Quicky. Zactly how I feel.
See this is what the true Collingwood spirit is all about. These two Irish lasses are staying on to play for our jumper in a final. How good are they? How good has the whole Collingwood women's footy program been this season? I know how much enjoyment they've given my grand daughters (and sons) in fact my whole family has loved their spirit and their game style.

Go get those Kangaroos girls...we know you can do it!

Back