Game Day 2020 AFLW Rnd 2 - Richmond vs Gold Coast Saturday 15th Feb Metricon Stadium 4.10pm local time - 5.10 Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah we have kicked 4 goals in 2Q, the other 6Q = zero, in 2 games, which is very bad
we need T.Lynch to teach them goal kicking, he has a beautiful simple kicking action which would suit the ladies
someone with clout at RFC needs to get onto this pronto
I think this is the area we can improve on the the most as we haven’t been able to convert opportunities compared to the marks in the forwards line, Wakefield (11), Bernadi and Stahl (7), might be something there Stan. need to work on converting these to goals.

Brennan flies the flag which I love but she’s a forward. Too many midfield minutes but when you have as little midfield depth as us you have no choice. Frederick disappointing but very difficult to be a key forward with the delivery we dished up.

yeah Tesoriero was a good theory, but in 2 games of practise has come woefully short, agree has little to offer and needs to be replaced
we need more SPEED, so giving Wood, Fitzgerald a go might not be a bad thing
agree she has been disappointing, she is not impacting for long enough, she does throw her weight around, but its time now to give the youth a go to see what they can offer the team.

Much more work needs to be done using Handball as an offensive weapon rather than hot potato Last resort
Shouldn’t be difficult to acquire that skill given most are ex bball of netball
Run and carry using handball and that would limit turnovers
Good point. Of our mids Monique Conti likes to get the handball game going but others don’t have that as a weapon as yet. Alice Edmonds handballs a lot but I think it’s because she doesn’t trust her kicking.

2 goals last week, 2 this week aint going to win you too many games unfortunatly
big shout out to my favourite player Grace Campbell, you are a star, fantastic AFLW debut, we need another 5 or 6 of you

Took a quarter to get going, a heavy hit too, but she powered through and got better as the game went longer. I'm with you Stanley, she's very good and getting better!

Last edited:
I understand. A lot of frustration for me girls unable to kick on opposite foot or handball correctly.

That frustrating bit is also because, as a result, it telegraphs to the opposition to 'tackle me' when I shift to my dominant side. It happened last week too. We are losing the game through this basic loss of forward momentum.

Kicking straight might have hidden this today, but it didn't.

Too often many of the girls are stepping just that little too much. It's an attempt to be creative, but the team needs to get going forward first option for a few games.

As good as Conti is she isn't impacting the game enough. The umpire cruelled her today in my opinion, but even with that said, she and Brennan just don't impact the game enough yet. Hopefully it's coming.

Last edited:
Haven’t we been spoilt by the skill level of the men!

Go back to the 70’s and the skills, with the exception of a few players were pretty ordinary. Some of those left foot kicks or handballs were shockers. VFL football had been going 100 years in the 70’s.
AFLW has been going 4 years.
It will get there.

Disappointing result today but 100% improvement on last week.

I thought similar mistakes were made with the ball last week too. Agree we will get better, once time and motion matches the thought process. Think Tom Hunter needs to simplify getting the ball forward for a few games. Once we crawl, we are going to get to walking and running pretty quick after that.

Last edited:
My first live women's game for a while and first time watching the tiges. I was impressed with the speed of the game. Marking and field kicking wasn't bad. Converting in front of goal was the difference. We could've won it.
It's been a while since the Suns had a win
And if I was going to tinker with a rule
The 50m penalty has to become 40m.

50 metre penalty is an arse in the hands of clown's anyway!

I’m sure it will. But AFLW has the ability to dip into the experience of 120 years of men’s footy.

I also get that they don’t train full time, but I reckon a coach is almost better of concentrating on improving skills first and game plan second. The ability to kick opposite foot and hit handballs would open up teams.

Amen to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our girls remind me of those drunken mens days when we were struggling,they will be better,only just joined the comp.

Next game we will win and the next loss will be far away.
In 6 to 10 years the standard and skills will get alot better and if lots of young women make it to 100 games is when they will look like a footballer entering the next 100 if they start having 16 plus game seasons.

No need for negativity on the game/league/skills etc. It's base, and that should be celebrated. But they (AFL) feel it needs to be rushed and a constant stimulation process due to $$$.

Brennan is a great captain so far imo, regardless of personal output or results. It will turn with patience. She's hot, and speaks well.

Not sure about the Frederick hype... Looks incredibly slow and sludgy so far. Phoebe Monahan gives everything; top marks.
Brennan the died blonde ranger.

No need for negativity on the game/league/skills etc. It's base, and that should be celebrated. But they (AFL) feel it needs to be rushed and a constant stimulation process due to $$$.

Brennan is a great captain so far imo, regardless of personal output or results. It will turn with patience. She's hot, and speaks well.

Not sure about the Frederick hype... Looks incredibly slow and sludgy so far. Phoebe Monahan gives everything; top marks.

She’s Tyrone like, right down to the bad hair.

My advice to some of the AFLW sceptics out there , don’t watch Richmond to get a handle on the standard , NM and Melbourne for example really move the ball well and make far fewer basic errors. We look like an expansion side such as GC in men’s year 1 ,, disappointing I know , like many I prob underestimated the standard coming in , we re way off it and I mean way off it . Keep at it girls

Sorry... "she's extremely presentable and will work well with sponsors and media appointments...whilst being a very good footy player".

Okay?
I prefered hot

My advice to some of the AFLW sceptics out there , don’t watch Richmond to get a handle on the standard , NM and Melbourne for example really move the ball well and make far fewer basic errors. We look like an expansion side such as GC in men’s year 1 ,, disappointing I know , like many I prob underestimated the standard coming in , we re way off it and I mean way off it . Keep at it girls
Go are a first year expansion side, and were far cleaner

The game was probably the first time a lot of the players had travelled for a football game. That’s a pretty steep learning curve as almost everything you’re used to changes. Especially when you’re only semi professional. Next time on the road I’m sure will be a lot better.

I’m not sure copying the style of attack from the AFL team is a good strategy in the women’s game, it requires very good footy IQ across the field to execute. It takes 10-15 years to become instinctual enough I reckon and you are still only a small chance of getting there. I’ve been playing my whole life and still have no bloody idea what to do when I get the ball.

It’s a bit like juniors right now (not intended as a criticism). The teams that can hit targets and hold possession best are generally going to be the best.

That being said, the bits I saw were a big improvement on last week, we won a few clearances and were able to lock the ball up our end. Give us 12 shots at goal again and I doubt we’ll score 2.10

yeah we have kicked 4 goals in 2Q, the other 6Q = zero, in 2 games, which is very bad
we need T.Lynch to teach them goal kicking, he has a beautiful simple kicking action which would suit the ladies
someone with clout at RFC needs to get onto this pronto
Jayden Short is not much taller than the girls. Copying his technique might be better than Lynch. I thought field kicking was a bit better than last week. Goal conversion from inside 50 is the glaring issue.

I thought similar mistakes were made with the ball last week too. Agree we will get better, once time and motion matches the thought process. Think Tom Hunter needs to simplify getting the ball forward for a few games. Once we crawl, we are going to get to walking and running pretty quick after that.
I don't know if it's game plan. This week the sun's got goals on the run. Or crumbing . Our small forwards seemed to be taking contested marks from too far out. Fredericks maybe throw her in the ruck for a run. Although the only ruck contest she was in, she didn't compete hard.

Go are a first year expansion side, and were far cleaner
They also pretty much raped Brisbane’s list in the off-season didn’t they? Didn’t they recruit like 9 former Brisbane players? I could be wrong but if that’s right they have a lot of girls that have played together before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back