Preview 2020 AFLW Rnd 4 - Richmond vs Geelong, Sat 29 Feb, Queen Elizabeth Oval Bendigo , 3.10pm Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

1582784734209.png

One of the positives with being flat out at work is that with a record of 0-3 you don't get much time to stew on things. Before you know it, the next game is just around the corner and possibly with it our first win...???

Another positive is that this preview is late and I don't have to speculate on the teams. Here they are:

RICHMOND

B:
S.Sansonetti 18 G.Seymour 28
HB: R.Miller 15 P.Monahan 2 H.Whitford 20
C: H.Burchell 9 K.Brennan - C 3 S.Molan 1
HF: M.Brancatisano 5 L.McClelland 16 C.Bernardi 6
F: C.Wakefield 8 S.Frederick 14
Foll: A.Edmonds 11 M.Conti 4 K.Jacques 10
I/C: A.Makur Chuot 34 G.Campbell 43 E.Wood 17 A.Woodward 13 L.Bailey 12

Emerg: C.Fitzgerald 26 L.Lesosky-Hay 23

In: H.Whitford
Out: L.Tesoriero (injured)

Lauren Tesoriero misses this week with general soreness I believe and Holly Whiteford comes off our injured list and is straight into the side. There was a bit of a scare with Makur Chuot late in last weeks game but she has been named.

GEELONG

B:
M.Brown 19 M.McMahon 24
HB: M.Keryk 45 M.McDonald 11 M.Hickey - C 18
C: S.Van De Heuvel 27 R.Webster 21 N.Morrison 9
HF: D.Higgins 2 P.McWilliams 23 J.Ivey 5
F: R.Cranston 30 R.Garing 12
Foll: A.O'Connor 14 J.Crockett-Grills 6 O.Purcell 16
I/C: R.Goring 44 A.McDonald 3 K.Darby 8 A.Teague 40 G.Clarke 17

Emerg: G.Rankin 10 C.Blakeway 4

In: K.Darby, A.Teague
Out: M.Boyd, R.Caris

Geelong bring back defender Anna Teague and key forward Kate Darby with both playing well in a VFLW practice match last week.

Season so far:

Richmond

R1 Lost to Carlton by 36
R2 Lost to Suns by 11
R3 Lost to Nth Melb by 56

Geelong
R1 Lost to Freo by 16
R2 Lost to Brisbane by 19
R3 Lost to Adelaide by 11

Both Richmond and Geelong are in the same conference and both are desperate to record their first wins of the season.
The Tigers have struggled to match it with good sides in Carlton and Nth and let an opportunity slip against the Suns. All in all they haven't played anywhere near their best and when you kick 4.18 in your last two games, well, lets just say you aren't going to win too many games of football that way.
The Cats have been more than competitive staying in games until late and just being overrun with a shocking umpiring decision last week arguably costing them the game.

Key Match ups.

Richmond- Brennan, Conti, Campbell, Jacques
v
Geelong - Purcell, Webster, J.Crockett-Grills, Morrison

To have any chance of winning we have to get more of the ball ourselves and try and limit Geelong's main four mids who, over the course of the first three rounds, account for 30% of their disposals. Olivia Purcell in particular has been red hot. Holly Whitford may get that job.
Monique Conti has been our best player with Phoebe Monahan, so a lot will fall on her shoulders....a HELL of a lot. Thank god Grace Campbell has come back and found reasonable form straight away.

Monahan v Cranston

1582802611017.png
1582802546824.png

Richelle Cranston is Geelong's best forward and has that little bit of magic about her.
Phoebe Monahan is our best defender and has been playing out of her skin this season. Phoebe wins the battle of the tattoos too. Very cool.
It's just the perfect match-up.
MJ-giphy.gif

Seymour v McWilliams

1582802995073.png
1582802924361.png

Phoebe McWilliams is a vastly under-rated key forward. Good size. Can take a great grab and is a good kick. She is always dangerous.
Gabby Seymour has been used in our backline this year and I suspect will get first crack to keep McWilliams in check.

Wakefield v McMahon

1582803821227.png
1582803968393.png

Courtney Wakefield has been a fine target in our forward line. The game is played in Bendigo and I'm predicting Wakefield will have a game and a half because she only has to travel 500 odd k/m to the game instead of the usual 680 k/m. Maddy McMahon will probably find herself standing next to Wakefield although it could be McDonald or Hickey or even Teague. TBH I couldn't care, just murderise them Courtney.

PREDICTION

This game is in Bendigo and not Geelong

CS.gif

.......so TIGERS by 1.

Game Day Hub

-RFC3161-MFE-20-Game-Day-Assets-AFLW-ROUND-1-Game-Day-Hub-Web-Header.png

ROUND 4
Richmond v Geelong
Saturday, February 29th
Queen Elizabeth Oval
3:10pm AEDT

TICKETS
Entry is completely FREE for all members and fans. The match is a non-ticketed event.
GATE OPEN TIMES
Gate 1: 12:30pm
WHAT'S ON
Come and visit our Tiger Cub Hub located on the netball courts inside the ground - there will be gift bags, inflatables, a fan wall, the yellow & black prize wheel and more!
Our mascots Sash and Stripes will be roaming the ground, if you see them come and say hi.
A wide range of food and drink trucks will be located within the stadium, along with bars for those 18+.
Pre-game

There will be a curtain raiser commencing at 12:50pm - Bendigo Pioneers v Western Jets.
The sounds of Tigerland are back with Jungle Beats. Keep an eye out for Bendigo’s very own Kodi Jacques' top five tracks!
MEMBERSHIP

We’re from Tigerland. Are you?
Membership sales, enquiries and cap/scarf collection will be available inside Gate 1 from 12.30pm.

TIGERLAND SUPERSTORE
Find the Tigerland Superstore at Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo, located just inside Gate 1.

You can also check out the AFLW range by Cotton On at the Tigerland Superstore and shop online anytime here.
GETTING TO THE GAME

Travelling by car

There is plenty of free and metered street parking available around Queen Elizabeth Oval.
Travelling by public transport

Plan your journey with PTV Journey planner to make sure you get there on time and with ease.
BROADCAST INFORMATION
Live on Channel 7 and Fox Footy, from 3.00pm AEDT.

All matches will be streamed LIVE via womens.afl and the AFLW Official App.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
You can bring your own food and water, however there are plenty of food and drink options available in stadium. The following items are prohibited:

- Alcohol
- Glass
- Chairs
- Musical instruments
- Flags over 1.6m
- Animals (unless a registered companion animal required for medical reasons – medical certificate must be supplied)
- Any item deemed to be or which may be considered to be dangerous – This is at the discretion of the stadium operator and their security contractor

Please note that patrons are required to present all bags for inspection upon entry to the venue.
For more information please refer to the AFL Conditions of Entry.
SOCIAL MEDIA
Follow the official social media channels of the Richmond Women’s for all the latest news and behind-the-scenes action on game day.

Join the AFLW conversation with the official hashtag #AFLWTigersCats and show your support by tagging #gotiges
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter

Last edited:

We are a chance here right? Or am I just deluding myself?

I’ll be looking forward to seeing how we do. :)

Geelong took the approach of building a side over time. I don't think they are a side that blow teams out of the water. They just grind away, keep it close and its just been inexperience that has seen them fall away in games. They'll be a good side but are not quite yet so we are a chance. In saying that, it's pretty hard to predict what our side will do. We've seen rare flashes of the style Hunter wants us to play and it is very good but we just haven't seen enough of it and/or we break down because our skills are not yet up to it and we turn the ball over.

It will be an interesting game.

If Tesoriero actually has "general soreness", I'll eat my hat. Textbook dropping disguised as an injury.

I understand why you would say that but personally I do think she is sore. If you watch her closely she has been getting up off the turf very gingerly many times over the last 3 weeks. I'm not sure the plan, prior to the season, was that she would play every game. I think she has played out of necessity.

Full round four preview: Bushfire Relief clash, winless sides face off
Sarah Black

RICHMOND v GEELONG
3.10pm AEDT, Saturday, February 29
Queen Elizabeth Oval, Bendigo, Vic
  • It's been a tough opening few matches for Richmond, but if there's one positive to be drawn, the Tigers have been hitting the scoreboard. The locations they've taken their shots from haven't helped, but changing those behinds to goals will help enormously.
  • The Cats are a much better side than their 0-3 record suggests. They've come close in most games they've played and have had a tough draw against Fremantle, Brisbane and Adelaide.
  • Tip: This could be a dour affair between two physical teams, but the Cats' young players will have the edge over their Tiger counterparts. Cats by 15 points.

We are a chance here right? Or am I just deluding myself?

I’ll be looking forward to seeing how we do. :)

1582839720268.png

Heart agrees with you, head thinks you are delusional, not by a lot, but once you cross that line ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh wow, Makur Chuot bounced back from that scare. I really thought she’d be out for a while.
She is tough! Is constantly absorbing impacts at the moment, hope she is encouraged to release a bit earlier!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back