Preview 2020 AFLW Rnd 5 - GWS vs Richmond , Sat 7 Mar, Robertson Oval, Wagga Wagga, 5.10pm Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

1583389100811.png
GWS are going into this game after a pretty convincing loss against this year’s surprise packet in Brisbane. Richmond on the other hand probably played its best football of the year against the Cats but is still yet to win a game. I can’t speak for anyone else but back when I played footy you never wanted to lose against a team yet to notch a win and this created a bit of pressure in itself and at times worked against us. Then again, maybe we were just crap, but I digress…..

Teams:

RICHMOND

B:
28. Gabrielle Seymour, 34. Akec Makur Chuot
HB: 15. Rebecca Miller, 20. Holly Whitford, 2. Phoebe Monahan
C: 9. Hannah Burchell, 4. Monique Conti, 19. Kate Dempsey
HF: 14. Sabrina Frederick, 12. Laura Bailey, 6. Christina Bernardi
F: 16. Laura McClelland, 24. Tayla Stahl
Foll: 11. Alice Edmonds, 1. Sophie Molan, 43. Grace Campbell
I/C: 18. Sarah Sansonetti, 17. Ella Wood, 10. Kodi Jacques, 7. Lauren Tesoriero, 5. Maddy Brancatisano
Emg: 13. Alana Woodward, 22. Nekaela Butler

In: Kate Dempsey, Lauren Tesoriero, Tayla Stahl
Out: Alana Woodward, Katie Brennan, Courtney Wakefield

NEW:
19. Kate Dempsey

MIDFIELDER/DEFENDER
160cm
Small in stature but big in energy and personality, Dempsey brings a wide skill set to the Richmond team. The 160cm midfielder/defender was rewarded for two consistent years playing for Richmond VFLW when she was pre-selected (No.85 overall) by the Club as an Academy player for the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft. Dempsey has excellent foot skills and can read the play well and take intercept marks. The talented sportswoman also opened the batting for Victoria at junior level and is a qualified psychologist.

GWS

B:
21 Pepa Randall, 9 Tanya Hetherington
HB: 7 Jessica Dal Pos, 22 Elle Bennetts, 14 Annalyse Lister
C: 20 Lisa Steane, 36 Britt Tully, 8 Nicola Barr
HF: 24 Haneen Zreika, 32 Tait Mackrill, 5 Jodie Hicks
F: 13 Cora Staunton, 34 Jacinda Barclay
Foll: 39 Jess Allan, 3 Alyce Parker, 6 Rebecca Beeson
I/C: 30 Sarah Halvorsen, 23 Erin McKinnon, 19 Rebecca Privitelli, 12 Louise Stephenson, 11 Aimee Schmidt
Emg: 25 Ingrid Nielsen, 16 Taylah Davies

In: Halvorsen, Mackrill, E.McKinnon
Out: Bonner, Eva, I.Nielsen

Along with Dempsey making her debut, the dangerous Stahl returns as does Tesoriero. Woodward has been omitted while Brennan and Wakefield both have concussion issues.

Christina Bernardi will take over the big C role this week against her old side and our Deputy VC in Phoebe Monahan also comes up against her old side. Both would have marked this game as soon as the fixture was released as most players do when they change teams.

For GWS Sarah Halvorson makes her debut this week replacing Bonner and will add speed and height to the GSW team. Sarah is a gifted sportswoman having won a soccer premiership with Newcastle City Blues and a silver medal as a member of the Australian Rugby 7s squad at the 2015 Pacific Games. Tait Mackrill comes in for her first game and the outs in Eva and Bonner are big blows for GWS.

Season so far:

Richmond
R1 Lost to Carlton by 36
R2 Lost to Suns by 11
R3 Lost to Nth Melb by 56
R4 Lost to Geelong by 22

GWS
R1 Beat Gold Coast by 1
R2 Lost to Nth Melbourne by 18
R3 Beat West Coast by 28
R4 Lost to Brisbane by 28

Players to watch

1583389806516.png Monique Conti

Conti was enormous against Geelong. 28 disposals 2 marks 5 tackles, 10 coaches votes and most likely 3 votes in the MVP. She just about had the perfect game.
GWS will do everything they can to try and shut Monique down so it’s up to the rest of our midfielders to lift and give her a chop out.
1583393125005.png

1583389816392.png Phoebe Monahan

A general in our backline and if she wasn’t so bloody good down back I’d be throwing Phoebe into the midfield. In All-Australian form.

1583389931148.png Sophie Molan

Just a youngster but you can see that when she has the ball she makes all the right decisions and her work in traffic getting the ball to the outside is going to be elite.

1583389677563.png Alyce Parker

The gun midfielder is not only a mad Richmond supporter (as is her whole family) but she is going home to Wagga for this clash. Ok, she may be on the Giants wagon for now but she’ll be back on the Tiger train especially since her dad, Fraser, only has a “soft spot” for the Giants and is still firmly in Tiger colours. Had a great season last year and an even better one this year.
1583393274267.png

1583389667496.png Cora Staunton

The explosive Irish forward hasn’t quite got back to her best after breaking her leg in the AFL Sydney Premier Division Women’s competition back in May last year but there is a reason why she is lauded as one of Ireland’s greatest sportswomen and the first international signed to AFLW.

1583389895137.png Rebecca Privitelli

The GWS key forward has been a bit of a surprise packet this year and has taken some fine grabs and has hit the scoreboard when needed.

The Game

No surprises here. GWS will try and out run us as other teams have done most of the year. To stop this our tackling efforts will have to be elite both in number and quality as we have given away far too many frees (and 50m penalties) with some clumsy efforts. Despite losing some players there is still a fair bit of talent running through the GWS team with Beeson, Dal Pos, Parker, Randall and co and there is going to be a heavy reliance on Burchell, Brandcatisano, Wood and Bailey to get more of the ball and help Conti, Campbell and Jacques if the Tigers want to win this game.

Prediction

Bit of reverse psychology here. Picked the Tigers in every game so far so GWS by 10

Last edited:

This week and next week against St Kilda are probably our only chances of winning this season. GWS also have their captain out in Alicia Eva, so that's increased our chances. Good to see that we have bolstered our side with another midfielder in Dempsey, who is finally eligible to be selected.

Also, it's good to see Stahl back in the side :)

So the girls and guys are in Wagga Wagga this weekend? Why didn’t they do a double-header instead of two separate days? Very weird.

Might have something to do with the lights on Robbo oval.

They are they but need to be upgraded to be proper for TV under night. After the North Sydney 10 million dollar pool for regions fiasco should push McCormick to lobby for upgrade the lights on Robbo oval federally to enhance AFL, regional sports and the girls opportunity to enhance their lives. Women higher level representative cricket play their to at times amongst other representative sport.

The womens Aussie Rules is fairly strong in the area given the lack of funding and growing and they go quiet well against the likes of better funded Canberra teams

Last edited:
Might have something to do with the lights on Robbo oval.

They are they but need to be upgraded to be proper for TV under night. After the North Sydney 10 million dollar pool for regions fiasco should push McCormick to lobby for upgrade the lights on Robbo oval federally to enhance AFL, regional sports and the girls opportunity to enhance their lives. Women higher level representative cricket play their to at times amongst other representative sport.

The womens Aussie Rules is fairly strong in the area given the lack of funding and growing and they go quiet well against the likes of better funded Canberra teams

But why can't you schedule two games in daylight hrs? That's pretty much 7am to 7pm in Wagga at this time of the year.

Last edited:
But why can't you schedule two games in daylight hrs? That's pretty much 7am to 7pm in Wagga at this time of the year.

Dunno, maybe they are making it more than a day trip. Wagga is an interesting place. Most will not realise this but, despite being well inside NSW border, Wagga is actually closer to Melbourne than Sydney and this has an influence even in the development of a transport industry. The other thing is a lot of wealth from a geographical weather viewpoint is located further south between Wagga and Albury with stronger Melbourne connections which counters the political establishment in Sydney where the likes of Schneider came from let alone Hawkins so its a bit like Barcelona v Madrid in terms of competing influences and cultures. The tyranny of distance works against Wagga particularly state wise as Sydney on balance neglects it which is probably why many look at Melbourne more fondly apart from peoples personal network links. Wagga is a weak link for Sydney establishment politically as a result and in terms of influence which is why, for example in the state side of things, an independent rules the roost at the moment.

I think GWS arriving today.

Are the women playing today or Saturday? They will be doing promotions etc.., premiership cup is doing a bit of a round trip

Wagga is very sporty. It has to be. Bit like Dusty from Vic country, sport is the best way to really propel your life especially if you have the ability to get ahead.

Zac Williams is from Narrandera, Himmelberg a local, Perryman comes back fairly regularly to catch up with his brothers(out of normal season duties) not to mention others like Hopper. Wagga is fairly strong with Aussie rules these days and maybe be having an edge over the opposition despite the establishment efforts in NSW.

I can see how AFL HQ would want to consolidate and get emerged with local institutions to strengthen their foothold and promote the game further north from a stronger regional base especially if they are look at regional competitions further north at least towards Canberra. Remember RFC has linked up with Murray Bushrangers down the road so it helps RFC's feeder area because I heard Penrith Panthers injected money into Albury to compete from their club network into the regions and develop their game.

The thing is these areas are far from centres like Melbourne and Sydney. Its hard for people to network and advance in other areas like others closer to the cities. Sport is the easiest way to progress and advance even through the periphery and sport is quite fundamental to the way people live their lives out here.

Last edited:
Dunno, maybe they are making it more than a day trip.

I think GWS arriving today.

Are they women playing today or Saturday? They will be doing promotions etc.., premiership cup is doing a bit of a round trip

Wagga is very sporty. It has to be. Bit like Dusty from Vic country, sport is the best way to really propel your life especially if you have the ability to get ahead.

Zac Williams is from Narrandera, Himmelberg a local, Perryman comes back fair regularly to catch up with his brothers. Wagga is fairly strong with Aussie rules these days nd maybe be having an edge over the opposition despite the establishment efforts in NSW.

I can see how AFL HQ would want to consolidate and get emerged with local institutions to strengthen their foothold and promote the game further north from a stronger regional base especially if they are look at regional competitions further north at least towards Canberra

Women play 5.10 Saturday.

Full round five preview: It's crunch time for many at season's midpoint
Sarah Black

GOLD COAST v GEELONG
6.10pm AEST, Friday, March 6
Great Barrier Reef Arena, Mackay, Qld

• Gold Coast has not been blown out of the water in any game it's played this year; its biggest loss came last week against North Melbourne at just 13 points. Kalinda Howarth and Kate Surman are forming a lively duo up forward.
  • Geelong has smashed its highest score in two consecutive weeks now, recording 38 against Adelaide and 67 against Richmond. Most pleasingly for a side that struggled to score last year, the Cats had eight individual goalkickers last week.
  • Tip: The first AFLW game in Mackay could be a slog, with storms forecast. Cats to just have the edge in firepower and win by seven points.

NORTH MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE
3.10pm AEDT, Saturday, March 7
North Hobart Oval, North Hobart, Tas

• North Melbourne is starting to build some momentum with three consecutive wins under its belt, but they've come against lower-ranked sides in GWS, Richmond and Gold Coast. The ruck has been an area they've struggled in. Could Emma King spend longer periods away from goals?
  • Adelaide was out-coached by Carlton, with the Blues employing a high-marking game, spreading the field as wide as possible. The Crows are significantly down on forward output, averaging three goals a game fewer than their incredible 2019 season.
  • Tip: This game poses as a real test for both sides. How much will North's Scott Gowans take from Carlton coach Daniel Harford's game-plan? Roos by 15 points.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY v RICHMOND
5.10pm AEDT, Saturday, March 7
Robertson Oval, Wagga Wagga, NSW

• GWS has had a very inconsistent start to the year, just getting over the line against Gold Coast, falling short to North Melbourne, thumping West Coast and getting thrashed by Brisbane. The Giants are averaging the fewest number of tackles in the competition.
  • Richmond's slow starts has cost it numerous times this season, but to the team's credit, its resoluteness has seen it consistently perform much better in the second half despite being a fair way down on the scoreboard.
  • Tip: Both teams have big outs, with Yvonne Bonner (ankle) and Katie Brennan (concussion) on the sidelines. The Tigers' lack of depth will go against them here. Giants by 14 points.

CARLTON v ST KILDA
7.10pm AEDT, Saturday, March 7
Ikon Park, Carlton North, Vic

• Aside from a poor loss to Collingwood in round two, Carlton has been one of the strongest sides this year. Forwards Tayla Harris and Darcy Vescio seem to have finally found their groove playing with each other, with Vescio now further up the ground.
  • It was heartbreak once again for St Kilda, losing in the dying minutes to ladder-leading Fremantle. Kate McCarthy (MCL) and Tarni White (ACL) will be big losses at both ends of the ground. The Saints have struggled to convert, scoring just 26.4% of the time they enter forward 50.
  • Tip: Carlton just has too much firepower across every line for St Kilda to handle. Blues by 26 points.

COLLINGWOOD v WESTERN BULLDOGS
1.10pm AEST, Sunday, March 8
Morwell Recreation Reserve, Morwell, Vic

• Last Friday night was costly on a number of fronts for Collingwood, especially losing star defender Ash Brazill to a torn ACL. Ruby Schleicher had also been occupying a tall defensive role, which means some shuffling needs to be done. Does one of Brianna Davey or Chloe Molloy swing back?
  • The Bulldogs are crying out for reinforcements, especially after the young side let slip a win against West Coast. Deanna Berry (concussion) and Brooke Lochland (quad) will be a significant boost to the forward line.
  • Tip: Collingwood may drop back into the pack somewhat after Brazill's injury, but still has too much midfield depth for the Western Bulldogs to handle. Magpies by 19 points.

MELBOURNE v WEST COAST
3.10pm AEDT, Sunday, March 8
Casey Fields, Cranbourne East, Vic

• Melbourne was back on the winners' list with a very strong victory over Collingwood. The Dees are developing a distinctive game style, ranking third for handballs and third-last for kicks.
  • West Coast got the monkey off the back with its first ever AFLW win last weekend. While the Eagles have been struggling to find a path to goal, Irish recruit Grace Kelly is starting to find her feet up forward.
  • Tip: Melbourne needs to get as many wins on the board as possible before games against Carlton and Fremantle. Dees by 28 points.

FREMANTLE v BRISBANE
2.10pm AWST, Sunday, March 8
Fremantle Oval, Fremantle, WA

• The Dockers just scraped over the line against St Kilda, and while they're sitting undefeated, the last two wins haven't been comprehensive affairs. Their efficiency hasn't dropped, averaging just 29.3 disposals per goal.
  • Brisbane's surprise march continues after losing 11 players to other clubs at the end of last season. This match will be a contrast in styles, with the Lions keen to retain possession of the ball with a short-kicking game.
  • Tip: A good old-fashioned battle of attack and defence. The home ground advantage may come into it, with Fremantle having an excellent record at home. Dockers by four points.

I can see how AFL HQ would want to consolidate and get emerged with local institutions to strengthen their foothold and promote the game further north from a stronger regional base especially if they are look at regional competitions further north at least towards Canberra.

The Wagga Tigers played in the Canberra comp for a few years, maybe a decade ago. Before NEAFL changed footy in Canberra. Not sure what happened, but it didn't last long, and they went back to the Riverina comp.

The Riverina is heartland Aussie Rules country as far as I'm concerned. I never much liked the idea of the Great Waste of Space and would rather the money is spent elsewhere, but Sheedy and the earlier GWS recruiters at least made an effort to link the Giants to that part of the world, which in turn, should help "grow the game" there. At least I bloody hope so. Can't see too much else of value coming out of the hi-vis orange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview, TigermanM2!

Excellent to see Stahl back. I wouldn't mind seeing her run through the midfield, at least in stages.

Sad to see KB and Wakefield out. I thought Courtney was outstanding last week. We'll miss them both.

Haven't see the GWS AFLW team. Ever. Not sure what to expect.

Great preview, TigermanM2!

Excellent to see Stahl back. I wouldn't mind seeing her run through the midfield, at least in stages.

Sad to see KB and Wakefield out. I thought Courtney was outstanding last week. We'll miss them both.

Haven't see the GWS AFLW team. Ever. Not sure what to expect.

100% agree with Stahl in the midfield. I definitely think she can although I suspect she'd be gassed pretty quickly there at the moment. I hope her tank is something she will work on between AFLW seasons and she gets a crack as a mid during our VFLW season.

GWS have definitely slipped a notch on previous seasons so it will be an interesting game. GWS losing Bonner and Eva is a blow for them but they have the depth to cover their outs better than we can.

The Wagga Tigers played in the Canberra comp for a few years, maybe a decade ago. Before NEAFL changed footy in Canberra. Not sure what happened, but it didn't last long, and they went back to the Riverina comp.

The Riverina is heartland Aussie Rules country as far as I'm concerned. I never much liked the idea of the Great Waste of Space and would rather the money is spent elsewhere, but Sheedy and the earlier GWS recruiters at least made an effort to link the Giants to that part of the world, which in turn, should help "grow the game" there. At least I bloody hope so. Can't see too much else of value coming out of the hi-vis orange.

Tigers where always strong as it was but Terry Daniher came up, few more decided to be a part of it, you know how it is, and with increased fitness, he was a different level altogether then, and a few other factors they went through a successful period. Then they got ideas of advancing into Canberra. My take is Canberra with far more money and infrastructure support with the likes of wealthy Ainsle club etc.. where simply too strong to compete against financially and had to great a relative organisational strength. Some players weekend commute from Canberra where they work and play in Riverina where they come from for money. Players follow they money and their mates. Tigers won the premiership last year when Paul Kelly's boys came back and brought a few mates with them, now they gone to SA and some of mates doing other things including playing league. The player distribution among clubs in the Riverina can be quite fractured and less structured with players very much having freedom of movement

Aussie rules gets its wealth from the local farmers and other networks mainly that are less organisation and structured apart from the club spheres of influence themselves. Opposition sports access wealth, strength and influence through pubs and so forth I think. David Barnhill has a successful popular pub called the Farrer but the the big mover and kicker is Shaun Ohara who is linked to Laundy with Rugby Union links and political links in state politics apart from the corporates engaging in pub wars. He is chair of local pub licensing committee and is linked to 4 local pubs including the recent Palm and Pawn upgrade which is doing a killing and people follow the crowd. Opposition leagues siphon money off rules supporters through their pub club networks IMO. While this is going on the local Rules club which was kicking goals 30 plus years ago is getting run down with board links to the falied leagues club and apparently has debt issues despite the recent motel doing okay. Wagga partly is a bit of a welfare town we some can do little else but head to the pokies and many with Sydney links take advantage of that with not many local watering holes at all.

You have supporters going to Albury where the club atmospheres are relatively better and remember the Rules strongholds strengthen as one goes further south.

So Wagga Tigers as a club does not have the institutional organisational support behind it like other codes nor do other clubs apart from typical club sponsorship that I am aware of. Its just a local club but its ground is smack bang in the middle of the town with all the facilities with further pushed development going on in and around it so facility wise and location wise its quite handy. There is no organised structured league support for the betterment of the game and its supporters IMO apart from the development area such as GWS academies etc... at the youth level. For example the Waratahs union club apart from being a powerhouse in local union has links to the defence force which has a heavy presence in Wagga. The number of hotels in Wagga is a reflection of many things but no less than the march outs of defence like a production line. Waratahs also have links to the aggies of the University where the aggies once graduated have to move on in terms of sports links as the new blood uni freshman with rugby union is searching for opportunity. Rules has a presence to at the Uni with the Bushpigs with some from Tassie as well as Victoria but its not in the same numbers and Uni club is more social whereas the regional rules clubs are backed by the farmers like Barrett from the Lions going back and playing for his local club where he and his partner now run a local gym. Having said that the Bushpigs have too many that want to play sometimes despite being a social Uni club, maybe they should field two teams?

So because the local clubs go turn about in Aussie rules regarding prising players to boost short term premiership ambitions from backers like the farmers who have southern links its hard for one club to compete with the likes of Canberra clubs in a northern presence without a solid backer and stable club strength. Even if there was a Rules representative club for the area with organisational support would make more sense where backers could harness the regional support for the code amongst all the local clubs even if it could have links with the defence and Uni from a short term neutral feeder perspective. I have heard from contacts in Sydney the push for a regional comp between Sydney, Canberra and Riverina is going on behind the scenes but I think the tyranny of distance is too great. It would make more sense initially for a Canberra/Riverina/Hume comp simply based on geographic/distance constraints where backers cannot afford to fly players around regularly at the moment.

See a womens Riverina team play regularly in Canberra and compete well from all reports. This is a women from Wagga playing for RFC tomorrow apparently and four or five at GWS

Last edited:
AFLW match preview: GWS v Richmond
Richmond will travel to Wagga Wagga to face GWS on Saturday afternoon.
By Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au - 7 hrs ago
wood.jpg

Richmond will continue its search for a maiden AFLW victory when it takes on GWS this Saturday in Wagga Wagga.
Held at Robertson Oval, the Round 5 clash will be the first ever AFLW game played in Wagga Wagga. Richmond’s AFL side will also play GWS at Robertson Oval in Sunday’s Marsh Series match.
The Tigers will be looking to build on the improvement they showed against the Cats last weekend, while the Giants will want to make amends after a 28-point loss to the Lions.
WHERE AND WHEN:
Robertson Oval, Wagga Wagga
Saturday, March 7th
5:10pm AEDT
GAME DAY HUB:
For all match day information, click here
KEY POINTS:
- The Giants will arrive in Wagga Wagga with intent to keep their finals hopes alive, after last week’s loss pushed them out of the top three in Conference A. Currently sitting at 2-2, GWS will be looking to find some consistency to kick off the second half of the season.
- Both Richmond and GWS will look to their depth, with a number of key players sidelined. Both sides will be without their captain, with Katie Brennan suffering a concussion in Round 4 and Alicia Eva sustaining a foot injury. Giants forward Yvonne Bonner will also miss the clash through injury, while Tigers key forward Courtney Wakefield has been ruled out due to concussion. Both sides will field a debutant, with GWS to unveil Sarah Halvorsen and Richmond to unleash Kate Dempsey.
- The clash will be the first time Richmond leadership group members Christina Bernardi and Phoebe Monahan come up against their old side. Bernardi has been damaging up forward for the Tigers in 2020 while Monahan has flourished in the Yellow and Black. Monahan, 26, is averaging 16.8 disposals per game, more than double what she averaged across her two seasons at GWS, and is first in the competition for metres gained (1763). Giant Louise Stephenson, who was a part of Richmond’s VFLW program in 2018, will also be a familiar face to many of the Tigers.
KEY MATCH-UP:
Monique Conti v Alyce Parker
Look out for the middle battle between these two All Australians. Conti and Parker both asserted their dominance throughout the first half of the season and are leading their sides for average disposals per game (19 and 17.8 respectively). Twenty-year-old Conti starred for the Tigers last week with 28 disposals, five tackles and a perfect 10 in the coaches’ votes. Parker, 19, hails from the Riverina region and will be sure to grasp the opportunity of playing in front of a home crowd.

Especially since the girls are playing at 5.10pm tonight and the men are playing at 12.10(?) tomorrow. Why not just have both games on the same day? You can easily fit two games of football between 12.10pm and 7.10pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back