News 2020 AFLW Season - General

Remove this Banner Ad

General season 2020 stuff

I think the AFLW team has got some real talent and we’re gonna be right in it this year, just as long as we don’t get dudded in an unbalanced conference setup.
It’s got me stuffed how they can set that up so it’s fair.
It’s a strange league setup for elite level sport.

Hope there’s some merchandise from the womens team for their fans too.

Conference system is a farce. We all know that but it is here to stay.

Bottom line is that you can afford very few slip ups in an 8 game competition.

The question is what do they use as the basis for the conference set up in 2020.

Do they accept that the conferences were imbalanced and just take overall wins as the basis for the 2020 conference setup? I think they should. This would mean that Nth Melb and Melb would finish higher in the ratings than Carlton and Geelong even though they missed finals. This makes sense as most would rate Nth a much more difficult match up than say a Geelong or a Carlton.

This is what the 2019 finishing order would look like.
Ladder Pos 2019TeamPlayedWonLostDrawForAgainst%Points
1- Conf AAdelaide7610396186212.924
2- Conf AFremantle7610353250141.224
3- Conf ANorth Melbourne7520298242123.120
4- Conf AMelbourne7430279251111.216
1- Conf BCarlton743025725899.616
2- Conf BGeelong734015423565.512
5- Conf AWestern Bulldogs725020126775.38
3- Conf BGreater Western Sydney725020829570.58
4- Conf BBrisbane725019327470.48
5- Conf BCollingwood716016224366.74
Then adding the new teams according to their draft order whereby the new team with the highest pick (based on the initial draft order as this was a good sign of their ranking ie pre trading) went to conference B, this is what the two conferences would look like for 2020.

Conference AConference B
1- Conf A 2019Adelaide2- Conf A 2019Fremantle
3- Conf A 2019North Melbourne4- Conf A 2019Melbourne
1- Conf B 2019Carlton2- Conf B 2019Geelong
5- Conf A 2019Western Bulldogs3- Conf B 2019Greater Western Sydney
4- Conf B 2019Brisbane5- Conf B 2019Collingwood
St KildaRichmond
West CoastGold Coast
This actually works out reasonably well as each conference has three non Vic teams and the two WA sides are on opposite conferences.

The unknowns are how Freo will fare with some of their players moving to West Coast and just how the other three new teams will perform.

Last edited:

We must have a bit of depth in the Mids to let Grace Egan go to Carlton, she didn’t seem to be a real quick thinker and mover and played off the bench a bit but looked calm with the ball in hand and a good size against some of the other girls in the pack and still a teenager.

We must have a bit of depth in the Mids to let Grace Egan go to Carlton, she didn’t seem to be a real quick thinker and mover and played off the bench a bit but looked calm with the ball in hand and a good size against some of the other girls in the pack and still a teenager.

Yeah we do Cdog71, my count is we started with 9 (Monahan, Conti, Brancatisano, Tesoriero, Burchell, Woodward, Jacques, Campbell, Brennan, Dempsey) + 5 draftees (Molan, Wood, Whitford, Horne, Harley)
Think Grace's pick was going to be for McClelland, so as Kate Sheahan said "it was way too high"
Probably Carlscum did this to pi$$ us off, as they have nothing better to do, may they rot in hell for taking our Grace away!!!!:mad::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I created a general thread re the 2020 season so we could keep the player threads on topic.

Conference system is a farce. We all know that but it is here to stay.

Bottom line is that you can afford very few slip ups in an 8 game competition.

The question is what do they use as the basis for the conference set up in 2020.

Do they accept that the conferences were imbalanced and just take overall wins as the basis for the 2020 conference setup? I think they should. This would mean that Nth Melb and Melb would finish higher in the ratings than Carlton and Geelong even though they missed finals. This makes sense as most would rate Nth a much more difficult match up than say a Geelong or a Carlton.

This is what the 2019 finishing order would look like.
Ladder Pos 2019TeamPlayedWonLostDrawForAgainst%Points
1- Conf AAdelaide7610396186212.924
2- Conf AFremantle7610353250141.224
3- Conf ANorth Melbourne7520298242123.120
4- Conf AMelbourne7430279251111.216
1- Conf BCarlton743025725899.616
2- Conf BGeelong734015423565.512
5- Conf AWestern Bulldogs725020126775.38
3- Conf BGreater Western Sydney725020829570.58
4- Conf BBrisbane725019327470.48
5- Conf BCollingwood716016224366.74
Then adding the new teams according to their draft order whereby the new team with the highest pick (based on the initial draft order as this was a good sign of their ranking ie pre trading) went to conference B, this is what the two conferences would look like for 2020.

Conference AConference B
1- Conf A 2019Adelaide2- Conf A 2019Fremantle
3- Conf A 2019North Melbourne4- Conf A 2019Melbourne
1- Conf B 2019Carlton2- Conf B 2019Geelong
5- Conf A 2019Western Bulldogs3- Conf B 2019Greater Western Sydney
4- Conf B 2019Brisbane5- Conf B 2019Collingwood
St KildaRichmond
West CoastGold Coast
This actually works out reasonably well as each conference has three non Vic teams and the two WA sides are on opposite conferences.

The unknowns are how Freo will fare with some of their players moving to West Coast and just how the other three new teams will perform.

I agree with you TigermanM2 on all of the above
As long as we're not in Adelaide's conference I'll be happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think TigermanM2 about how our at the centre bounce starting 4 would stack up against the rest of the teams?
Ruck: A.Edmonds 189cm, Ruck rover: K.Brennan 174cm, Rover: S.Molan 175cm, Centre: M.Conti 165cm
Looks very strong

On talent it's right up there. Looking through the better teams our top 4 matches pretty well with that of other teams. Hopefully Katie Brennan has the tank to spend large chunks in the guts in AFLW. We need her in there.

I guess just how strong our midfield will be comes down to the rotation of players when our best have a break. We know our forwards will be dynamite and our defenders will be solid so our season will depend on how the likes of Campbell, Woodward, Jacques, Seymour, Dempsey and co go at the higher level.. Maddy Brancatisano was on Melbourne's list but didn't play a game and Hannah Burchell played one game with Geelong so throw them in that group too. Both are talented but we haven't seen anywhere near their best yet although Hannah was injured during the VFLW season.

I am more excited to see how the draftees go. As each year passes the new recruits are better and better equipped for AFLW than the girls before them. I expect Molan to be a shoe in for R1 but I'm also expecting Sansonetti and McClellend to be there too. I wouldn't write the others off either. They can all obviously play. The best part is that I can't see pick 93 Emily Harley going down without a huge fight for a position in the starting 21 given how competitive she sounds.

Can't wait.

Someone on twitter said Richmond could be playing at vic park , tell me it ain’t true. That’ll solve any concerns about fitting the crowd in , no one will go at all

It a problem because I can see a big big crowd wanting to go to the history making first ever Richmond AFLW game especially if it's against traditional rivals Carlton as has been suggested.

We will get big crowds and you can't be locking people out. That would be a total disaster.

Wherever it is I'll be there.

Yeah we do Cdog71, my count is we started with 9 (Monahan, Conti, Brancatisano, Tesoriero, Burchell, Woodward, Jacques, Campbell, Brennan, Dempsey) + 5 draftees (Molan, Wood, Whitford, Horne, Harley)
Think Grace's pick was going to be for McClelland, so as Kate Sheahan said "it was way too high"
Probably Carlscum did this to pi$$ us off, as they have nothing better to do, may they rot in hell for taking our Grace away!!!!:mad::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I think we will keep playing Monahan as a defender.

Was watching her closely during VFLW games where she was playing back and was very composed, making sure everyone was in the right spots. Think we need her experience back there.

On talent it's right up there. Looking through the better teams our top 4 matches pretty well with that of other teams. Hopefully Katie Brennan has the tank to spend large chunks in the guts in AFLW. We need her in there.

I guess just how strong our midfield will be comes down to the rotation of players when our best have a break. We know our forwards will be dynamite and our defenders will be solid so our season will depend on how the likes of Campbell, Woodward, Jacques, Seymour, Dempsey and co go at the higher level.. Maddy Brancatisano was on Melbourne's list but didn't play a game and Hannah Burchell played one game with Geelong so throw them in that group too. Both are talented but we haven't seen anywhere near their best yet although Hannah was injured during the VFLW season.

I am more excited to see how the draftees go. As each year passes the new recruits are better and better equipped for AFLW than the girls before them. I expect Molan to be a shoe in for R1 but I'm also expecting Sansonetti and McClellend to be there too. I wouldn't write the others off either. They can all obviously play. The best part is that I can't see pick 93 Emily Harley going down without a huge fight for a position in the starting 21 given how competitive she sounds.

Can't wait.

Exciting times for sure, can see players like whitford, Ward, Sansonetti and McClellend getting games this season
Agree our forward line is superb and our backline solid, the midfield top 4 looks superb, the rest are solid
The quality of drafted players has increased 10 fold, like you said Molan will go from round 1
I think our R1 team will look very different to say our R6 team as our game style evolves and different players step up
Will be a wild ride our 1st AFLW season, that's for sure

Last edited:
I think we will keep playing Monahan as a defender.

Was watching her closely during VFLW games where she was playing back and was very composed, making sure everyone was in the right spots. Think we need her experience back there.

Monahan in the backline is a interesting one, would love her to rotate thru the midfield as she is a smart experienced footballer
But at the moment more value being a Vlastuin type, marshalling the troops down back
Funny how the team has evolved in my mind as to what it might look like early games
I thought at the start it would involve players mainly from our upgraded VFLW side, Dempsey, Campbell, Seymour, Jacques, Bailey and Woodward
To me now it looks like those players will be fighting it out for spots against our draftees Wood, Whitford, Butler, Horne, Fitzgerald and Harley
Only Brennan, Conti, Edmonds, Frederick, Stahl, Bernardi, Monahan, Miller, Ross and Makur-Chuot look certainties, after them could be anyone
Healthy problem to be in

Round 1
Richmond vs. Carlton - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 7
Ikon Park 7.40pm local time - Seven

Round 2
Gold Coast SUNS vs. Richmond - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 15
Metricon Stadium 4.10pm local time - Foxtel

Round 3
Richmond vs. Kangaroos - SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23
Swinburne Centre 3.10pm local time - Seven

Round 4
Richmond vs. Geelong Cats - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 29
Queen Elizabeth Oval 3.10pm local time - Seven

Round 5
GWS GIANTS vs. Richmond - FRIDAY, MARCH 6
Robertson Oval 5.10pm local time - Foxtel

Round 6
St Kilda vs. Richmond - SATURDAY, MARCH 14
RSEA Park 5.10pm local time - Foxtel

Round 7
Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions - FRIDAY, MARCH 20
Swinburne Centre 5.45pm local time - Foxtel

Round 8
Adelaide Crows vs. Richmond - SUNDAY, MARCH 29
Unley Oval 12.40pm local time - Seven

Last edited:
Monahan in the backline is a interesting one, would love her to rotate thru the midfield as she is a smart experienced footballer
But at the moment more value being a Vlastuin type, marshalling the troops down back
Funny how the team has evolved in my mind as to what it might look like early games
I thought at the start it would involve players mainly from our upgraded VFLW side, Dempsey, Campbell, Seymour, Jacques, Bailey and Woodward
To me now it looks like those players will be fighting it out for spots against our draftees Wood, Whitford, Butler, Horne, Fitzgerald and Harley
Only Brennan, Conti, Edmonds, Frederick, Stahl, Bernardi, Monahan, Miller, Ross and Makur-Chuot look certainties, after them could be anyone
Healthy problem to be in

I see it exactly the same way. I was starting to put together a starting 21 and was finding myself picking the draftees ahead of the more established VFLW players. Not only have the draftees had solid junior years behind them but they have also had exposure to elite environments for the last 2 or 3 years.

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

My tip is get to Ikon Park early if you want to get in R1

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8
I hope they’re building some new stands at Punt Road...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back