News 2020 AFLW Season - General

Remove this Banner Ad

Really looking forward to seeing how our new players perform. They are so much more equipped for football than those before them.

In 2017 we had amateur players, talented athletes who had hardly played if at all and cross coders come into the AFLW system.

In 2020 draftees who have been planning their entry for years will come into the competition. Sophie Molan for example has been at the Rebels for 4 years plus VFLW this year. That's 4 years of training, playing and off field preparation in an elite environment to get her ready for AFLW.

This is the reason for the huge improvement in playing standard between 2017 and 2019 AFLW. Even with 4 new teams and a greater spread of talent I still think, while not as big as this year, there will be a jump in standard in 2020.

They are already Tigers and we have a soft spot for them, but all of our VFLW girls will have a fight on their hands with the 2019 draftees ready to pounce for a place in the team come R1

Last edited:

Really looking forward to seeing how our new players perform. They are so much more equipped for football than those before them.

In 2017 we had amateur players, talented athletes who had hardly played if at all and cross coders come into the AFLW system.

In 2020 draftees who have been planning their entry for years will come into the competition. Sophie Molan for example has been at the Rebels for 4 years plus VFLW this year. That's 4 years of training, playing and off field preparation in an elite environment to get her ready for AFLW.

This is the reason for the huge improvement in playing standard between 2017 and 2019 AFLW. Even with 4 new teams and a greater spread of talent I still think, while not as big as this year, there will be a jump in standard in 2020.

They are already Tigers and we have a soft spot for them, but all of our VFLW girls will have a fight on their hands with the 2019 draftees ready to pounce for a place in the team come R1

You have a look at our list and the key word I see is FLEXIBILITY
Most players can play in multiple positions, even the draftees were chosen for this attribute, I love it

Bring on 2020.

While Sabrina will be the No. 1 target inside 50, I hope the aggott gets shared about a bit.

Try not to be too Sabs focused.

I think there will be no doubt about that
There is a lot of talk about playing the "the Richmond way", pressure, Fierce attack on the footy and have fun playing the game
Working in the AFL, VFL team, can't see any reason it won't work in our AFLW team, looking forward to the season
Maybe you should look into staying with our AFLW team permanently RedmanWasHere :)

I think the fee is just to cover the ticketing agency booking fee which is what a couple of dollars?

The issue is whenever people hear that the match is ticketed it seems to scare people away and very rarely are they sell outs. Bet our first game at Ikon park is ticketed.

Read somewhere that the AFLW will look into increasing the seating capacity and improving facilities of Punt road oval(Swinburne centre)
I believe that they anticipate our ladies team will be attracting an increased amount of our members attending games as the seasons go on
Can only be a good thing for our club to have a ground that can handle approx. 25,000 attendances :) :)

Credit To The Girls AFLW podcast with Sarah Black and Lucy Watkin

For those unfamiliar with Sarah and Lucy they really know their stuff.

Interesting interview with Tom Hunter
Key points for me was the quote
"We wanted to bring her in to look after Monique Conti and Katie Brennan in the midfield."
"I've said this to Lauren, she's on the other end of her career, where she can probably take the hits and bumps and the bruises to allow Sophie Molan and Grace Campbell to develop on the outside, so we're not bashing up Monique Conti and Katie Brennan too early"
So Lauren's role will be developing and looking after our players, smart move on our behalf to allow this(only cost us a very late pick)

Read somewhere that the AFLW will look into increasing the seating capacity and improving facilities of Punt road oval(Swinburne centre)
I believe that they anticipate our ladies team will be attracting an increased amount of our members attending games as the seasons go on
Can only be a good thing for our club to have a ground that can handle approx. 25,000 attendances :) :)

Did you read that recently?

I remember the club put up a proposal a couple of years ago but that would have required the AFL to make it one of the preferred VFL / AFLW grounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read that recently?

I remember the club put up a proposal a couple of years ago but that would have required the AFL to make it one of the preferred VFL / AFLW grounds.

Sorry for the late reply(missus birthday, out dining)
Yes Nicole Livingston at 2020 season launch quote:
"Part of the beauty of AFLW is going home (to traditional grounds), and we've got that as really strong feedback from our fans.
So Richmond have a few games at Punt Road and it's an opportunity for their fans to get in.
"There's no [reason not] to looking at Punt Road and what could be done to increase in future years the ability to have more spectators come in to watch AFLW."
On the radar for sure

Sorry for the late reply(missus birthday, out dining)
Yes Nicole Livingston at 2020 season launch quote:
"Part of the beauty of AFLW is going home (to traditional grounds), and we've got that as really strong feedback from our fans.
So Richmond have a few games at Punt Road and it's an opportunity for their fans to get in.
"There's no [reason not] to looking at Punt Road and what could be done to increase in future years the ability to have more spectators come in to watch AFLW."
On the radar for sure

That’s great news. You can’t have the biggest club in the land having a home VFL/AFLW ground only being able to fit 6k

As most of you would know BigFooty Richmond board sponsors a couple of the mens players each season thanks to the generosity of our posters.

Player Sponsorship is open now for 2020 and the good news is that AFLW is now part of this (finer details to come)

I have already spoke with the club and they are going to do us a good deal if we can get together enough funds to sponsor 2 x AFL and 1 x AFLW player.

We are on the home stretch to raising enough to cover all 3 and being a Player Sponsor for an AFLW player in our first season will be a huge thing for the board if we can raise enough $$ to get it over the line.

If you wish to get involved the Player Sponsorship thread link is below.

edit: By helping sponsor a player you also go into the draw to win awesome prizes from the club, see Sponsor thread for info

note: No money is required right this moment, just a pledge.

Last edited:
As most of you would know BigFooty Richmond board sponsors a couple of the mens players each season thanks to the generosity of our posters.

Player Sponsorship is open now for 2020 and the good news is that AFLW is now part of this (finer details to come)

I have already spoke with the club and they are going to do us a good deal if we can get together enough funds to sponsor 2 x AFL and 1 x AFLW player.

We are on the home stretch to raising enough to cover all 3 and being a Player Sponsor for an AFLW player in our first season will be a huge thing for the board if we can raise enough $$ to get it over the line.

If you wish to get involved the Player Sponsorship thread link is below.

note: No money is required right this moment, just a pledge.

Great idea. I'm in and responded in the other thread.

Strengths, weaknesses, MVPs: Every AFLW list assessed ahead of the 2020 season
RICHMOND

PLAYERS: Laura Bailey, Christina Bernardi, Maddy Brancatisano, Katie Brennan, Hannah Burchell, Nekaela Butler, Grace Campbell, Monique Conti, Kate Dempsey, Alice Edmonds, Ciara Fitzgerald, Sabrina Frederick, Emily Harley, Emma Horne, Kodi Jacques, Akec Makur Chuot, Laura McClelland, Rebecca Miller, Sophie Molan, Phoebe Monahan, Iilish Ross, Sarah Sansonetti, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Tayla Stahl, Lauren Tesoriero, Courtney Wakefield, Holly Whitford, Ella Wood, Alana Woodward, Gabby Seymour (rookie)

INACTIVE PLAYERS: Nil
COACH: Tom Hunter

BIGGEST STRENGTH
Big time players- Although Katie Brennan didn’t play in the Bulldogs’ 2018 premiership, she played a big part in getting her team out there on the big stage.
Monique Conti went one better, winning the Grand Final MVP.
Sabrina Frederick was on the opposition side on the day.
All three players will be in Richmond colours in 2020, adding valuable experience in big moments.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS
Defence depth- The Tigers don’t have an experienced defender to guide them through their first season at Richmond, which could leave the young players vulnerable in big moments.
Players like Sarah Sansonetti and Iilish Ross undeniably have the talent though.

RISING STAR
Kodi Jacques- It’s strange that she didn’t get on a club list in her draft year but the Bendigo Pioneers product is a special talent.
Jacques is a hardworking midfielder and fitted in really well in Richmond’s VFLW midfield this year, working alongside the likes of Monique Conti.
She is always calm with the ball in hand too.

MVP
Monique Conti- Fresh off a VFLW best and fairest, Conti could do the same in the AFLW next year.
She has speed, agility and is an elite kick of the footy, meaning she can have a big impact for the Tigers in 2020.

Strengths, weaknesses, MVPs: Every AFLW list assessed ahead of the 2020 season
RICHMOND

PLAYERS: Laura Bailey, Christina Bernardi, Maddy Brancatisano, Katie Brennan, Hannah Burchell, Nekaela Butler, Grace Campbell, Monique Conti, Kate Dempsey, Alice Edmonds, Ciara Fitzgerald, Sabrina Frederick, Emily Harley, Emma Horne, Kodi Jacques, Akec Makur Chuot, Laura McClelland, Rebecca Miller, Sophie Molan, Phoebe Monahan, Iilish Ross, Sarah Sansonetti, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Tayla Stahl, Lauren Tesoriero, Courtney Wakefield, Holly Whitford, Ella Wood, Alana Woodward, Gabby Seymour (rookie)

INACTIVE PLAYERS: Nil
COACH: Tom Hunter

BIGGEST STRENGTH
Big time players- Although Katie Brennan didn’t play in the Bulldogs’ 2018 premiership, she played a big part in getting her team out there on the big stage.
Monique Conti went one better, winning the Grand Final MVP.
Sabrina Frederick was on the opposition side on the day.
All three players will be in Richmond colours in 2020, adding valuable experience in big moments.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS
Defence depth- The Tigers don’t have an experienced defender to guide them through their first season at Richmond, which could leave the young players vulnerable in big moments.
Players like Sarah Sansonetti and Iilish Ross undeniably have the talent though.

RISING STAR
Kodi Jacques- It’s strange that she didn’t get on a club list in her draft year but the Bendigo Pioneers product is a special talent.
Jacques is a hardworking midfielder and fitted in really well in Richmond’s VFLW midfield this year, working alongside the likes of Monique Conti.
She is always calm with the ball in hand too.

MVP
Monique Conti- Fresh off a VFLW best and fairest, Conti could do the same in the AFLW next year.
She has speed, agility and is an elite kick of the footy, meaning she can have a big impact for the Tigers in 2020.

Thanks Stan. Do you know who wrote this?

Sometimes these sort of articles frustrate me. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the coverage they give but they can be a lot better with a bit more research.
If you are going to take on the task of writing an article on the quality of AFLW lists then dive down a bit more than the obvious. The Brennan, Conti and Frederick inclusions are easy pickings.

Don't have an experienced defender? Phoebe Monahan, remember her? What about Akec Makur Chuot? Both have played back all VFLW season and have AFLW backgrounds. Laura Bailey was drafted as a defender for the Dogs and did very well there late in the VFLW season.

I'm pretty sure our system will stand up as it is obvious we will replicate the club approach to playing the game which has served our VFL and AFL teams very very well. Not a mention of this though. The problem with these articles is that they are so focused on individuals and RARELY will individuals deliver a premiership. I would say that would be the BIGGEST strength well ahead of the Brennan, Conti and Frederick acquisitions.

It's great that Kodi Jacques has been mentioned as a rising star but no Campbell, Seymour, Stahl, Edmonds, Miller anywhere? I'm looking forward to big contributions from all of these girls.

It just seems like a hastily put together piece and/or written by someone who doesn't really follow AFLW.

Harsh i know but...

Last edited:
Thanks Stan. Do you know who wrote this?

Sometimes these sort of articles frustrate me. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the coverage they give but they can be a lot better with a bit more research.
If you are going to take on the task of writing an article on the quality of AFLW lists then dive down a bit more than the obvious. The Brennan, Conti and Frederick inclusions are easy pickings.

Don't have an experienced defender? Phoebe Monahan, remember her? What about Akec Makur Chuot? Both have played back all VFLW season and have AFLW backgrounds. Laura Bailey was drafted as a defender for the Dogs and did very well there late in the VFLW season.

I'm pretty sure our system will stand up as it is obvious we will replicate the club approach to playing the game which has served our VFL and AFL teams very very well. Not a mention of this though. The problem with these articles is that they are so focused on individuals and RARELY will individuals deliver a premiership. I would say that would be the BIGGEST strength well ahead of the Brennan, Conti and Frederick acquisitions.

It's great that Kodi Jacques has been mentioned as a rising star but no Campbell, Seymour, Stahl, Edmonds, Miller anywhere? I'm looking forward to big contributions from all of these girls.

It just seems like a hastily put together piece and/or written by someone who doesn't really follow AFLW.

Harsh i know but...
Article was written by Source: FOX SPORTS, November 11, 2019 4:07pm, by Julia Montesano
There's a better write up on DRAFT CENTRAL, its called 2019/20 AFLW off-season review by Peter Williams
Very good articles, only Bulldogs and Pies done so far, worth a read
Agree with everything you have written

Article was written by Source: FOX SPORTS, November 11, 2019 4:07pm, by Julia Montesano
There's a better write up on DRAFT CENTRAL, its called 2019/20 AFLW off-season review by Peter Williams
Very good articles, only Bulldogs and Pies done so far, worth a read
Agree with everything you have written

Well Ok I'm a bit shocked.
Julia Montesano has been covering women's footy for a while and was actually the editor at Draft Central for a couple of years. She's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to VFLW and AFLW.
I don't back away from what I said about the article though. Maybe she was thrown a ridiculous deadline which can sometimes happen.

Well Ok I'm a bit shocked.
Julia Montesano has been covering women's footy for a while and was actually the editor at Draft Central for a couple of years. She's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to VFLW and AFLW.
I don't back away from what I said about the article though. Maybe she was thrown a ridiculous deadline which can sometimes happen.

Just wondering TigermanM2 when preseason starts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back