Review 2020 and the good things that emerged from a horrible year

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We're 5 matches out from the end of the season, and I don't need to reiterate the shitty stuff that has accompanied this bizarre once in a century season, but there's actually plenty of positive stuff to report, so I want this thread to be a rolling discussion with that focus in mind.

1) Luke McDonald has matured and arrived as an AA quality rebounding defender. His continued recent form should put him squarely in the AA selectors sights.

2) The ageless Todd Goldstein has returned to his very best form. It will be a tragedy if he misses AA selection.

3) Jy Simpkin has started to emerge as a genuine quality AFL midfielder, who can impact results.

3) We have found a highly skilled, multi position player in Bailey Scott.

4) We have unearthed a defensive KPD lynch pin that can serve us for more than a decade, in Ben McKay.

5) Luke Davies-Uniake has arrived, and is now presently consolidating his base line. He gives every impression of being a truly elite AFL midfielder.

6) Nick Larkey continues to consolidate as a high quality AFL KPF.

7) Trent Dumont has continued his improvement curve and now gives us a centre square option. His disposal and decsion making have taken another step forward.

8) Curtis Taylor continued his upward improvement prior to being injured.

9) Jack Mahony is slowly building as a very promising young AFL debutante.

10) Tristan Xerri has debuted and after a long period of obscurity, he is starting to show excellent AFL big hard man traits.

11) Majak Daw returned to AFL football and showed glimpses of his best footy.

12) Jed Anderson has taken another step and improved his midfield output, whils retaining has customary hardness. Should be top 5 in the B&F.

13) Aiden Bonar has debuted and was beginning to show encouraging form prior to getting injured.

14) Kyron Hayden has returned from a long injury layoff and has given us a realistic, viable option in defence.

15) Josh Walker has arguably been the bargain trade pick up of the AFL season.

Yes, it has been a s**t year people, but there's a hell of a lot to be positive about as we look forward! Strap yourselves in!

We're 5 matches out from the end of the season, and I don't need to reiterate the shitty stuff that has accompanied this bizarre once in a century season, but there's actually plenty of positive stuff to report, so I want this thread to be a rolling discussion with that focus in mind.

1) Luke McDonald has matured and arrived as an AA quality rebounding defender. His continued recent form should put him squarely in the AA selectors sights.

2) The ageless Todd Goldstein has returned to his very best form. It will be a tragedy if he misses AA selection.

3) Jy Simpkin has started to emerge as a genuine quality AFL midfielder, who can impact results.

4) We have unearthed a defensive KPD lynch pin that can serve us for more than a decade, in Ben McKay.

5) Luke Davies-Uniake has arrived, and is now presently consolidating his base line. He gives every impression of being a truly elite AFL midfielder.

7) Trent Dumont has continued his improvement curve and now gives us a centre square option. His disposal and decsion making have taken another step forward.

10) Tristan Xerri has debuted and after a long period of obscurity, he is starting to show AFL big hard man traits.

12) Jed Anderson has taken another step and improved his midfield output, whils retaining has customary hardness. Should be top 5 in the B&F.

13) Aiden Bonar has debuted and was beginning to show encouraging form prior to getting injured.

14) Kyron Hayden has returned from a long injury layoff and has given us a realistic, viable option in defence.

Yes, it has been a sh*t year people, but there's a hell of a lot to be positive about as we look forward! Strap yourselves in!
The kids as a whole are becoming battle hardened and starting their playing careers learning to be accountable for themselves and not sell their team mates in trouble .

our coach is learning too but he knows to be tough on the group when needed even though he clearly loves them, i love that he saw things in Lmac that no one else did, it shows me that Shaw will work to get the best out of anyone who will put the work in.

I like that we have declared we are building through the draft and not chasing big fish anymore though the lolnorfWARCHEST comments won't stop any time soon.
we have brady no doubt filling spreadsheets with his plans for our team.

In the short term all the changes to the club really hurt us as no one could have predicted covid, on the other hand if covid had of come last year we would be exactly where we were before and nothing would have changed, and excuses would have been made to keep pushong back the rebuild ... Heck maybe Shaw would have been moved on due to the budget cuts as Scott would still be running the show.

In short, its been a hell year but i think we are exactly where we need to be, and we got a much clear picture of where to go from here .

The most positive thing from the season, has been Rhyce Shaw making a statement and not selecting the experienced guys like the Polecs, Pittards, Halls etc.. over the development of the younger guys. It truly has been a breath of fresh air, and gives us supporters hope, as we can see glimpses of what these young kids maybe able to produce in years to come.

10) Tristan Xerri has debuted and after a long period of obscurity, he is starting to show excellent AFL big hard man traits.

Yes, it has been a sh*t year people, but there's a hell of a lot to be positive about as we look forward! Strap yourselves in!

Good post Snake.

Simpkin, Scott, McKay, LDU and Taylor have been huge positives.

I think we've seen enough of Bonar and Hayden to suggest we might get a 2021 out of them like the above players had in 2020.

McDonald like you said has been outstanding the last 6 or so weeks, he's been a bit of a slow burn the last few years, but appears to be delivering on his talent at 25 years of age- good, because god we need a few in that age bracket.

There's obviously a whole suite of negatives relating to Brown, injuries - particularly Thomas', the skipper, the general game plan - but there's plenty of threads for that.

It's been a truly weird year, other than Goldy I can't remember a year like it in recent history where senior players have been so invisible in most of our performances. Taz and Walker have both been good thinking further on it.

Higgins has been getting big numbers but isn't too noticible in his current role, similar really to Dumont. It feels like the main burden is being carried by most of the younger players this year, even more so than the early 2010's with that group of players and definately more than the early 2000's who still had the left overs of that great 90's era.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Good post Snake.

Simpkin, Scott, McKay, LDU and Taylor have been huge positives.

I think we've seen enough of Bonar and Hayden to suggest we might get a 2021 out of them like the above players had in 2020.

McDonald like you said has been outstanding the last 6 or so weeks, he's been a bit of a slow burn the last few years, but appears to be delivering on his talent at 25 years of age- good, because god we need a few in that age bracket.

There's obviously a whole suite of negatives relating to Brown, injuries - particularly Thomas', the skipper, the general game plan - but there's plenty of threads for that.

Thanks mate.

The upshot is that we have found ~7 players that look like long terms contributors to North, and another half a dozen who have shown marked improvement.

Let me tell you folks, this is a rare occurrence, and we'd probably have to go back to the late 80's under the late great John Kennedy to find a viable comparison. This was the genesis of the AFL team of the 90's.

If you throw in Taz, Higgo, cunners and JZ as senior players plus EVW that gives us 20 players .
Few more in Perez and coombden, this years draft and 2021 is starting to look positive!

Agree with all of those. One thing I'd add is the long-awaited returns of WW and EVW. Even if Will got injured it was still good to see him out there. Not too worried about a hamstring considering his long lay-off and then a lack of viable footy fitness with no VFL. We also got a glimpse of what he can bring as the accumulating outside player we'll need going forward. EVW we all know and love. The Flock of Seagulls hairdo is interesting but his smarts and hardness are undeniable.

In all the doom and gloom of the year we've pretty much locked away a top 3 pick and that'll be in before the talent in the draft drops off. We'll be walking away with one of DGB, Thilthorpe, McDonald, Hollands or Phillips and be very happy about it.

Hopefully, we can add EVW stringing 6 games in a row together and a glimpse of what Perez has to offer by years end.

Great post Snake
Agree with all your comments.

Also put Higgins in as a positive. He has been moved out of his best position, hasn’t cracked the sad’s like some would but has now adapted to the role.

Injuries have been able to play some young guys and young guys in prominent positions.
End of year Rhyce will be able to start developing a list he wants not the hand me downs from previous decision makers.
Winning is great but sometimes going through the process to winning can be exciting. I like exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most - what about the coach? What do you think so far?

Great post Snake
Agree with all your comments.

Also put Higgins in as a positive. He has been moved out of his best position, hasn’t cracked the sad’s like some would but has now adapted to the role.

Injuries have been able to play some young guys and young guys in prominent positions.
End of year Rhyce will be able to start developing a list he wants not the hand me downs from previous decision makers.
Winning is great but sometimes going through the process to winning can be exciting. I like exciting.

Was just about to write the same about Higgins, I think he and Lukey Mac are forming a nice duo behind the ball

I think Curtis Taylor was the biggest surprise packet for me. Early on it seems every time he was near the ball, he made something happen.

Already had expectations on LDU and BS, and the last few weeks has been very pleasing.

A weird year to judge Shaw - I know during the pre-season he was putting an enormous focus on the game plan, so then when covid hit and he was limited with total group training sessions that became much harder to do. Then, once we got up and going again injuries crushed us. A free hit of sort for this year, but would want good improvement early on next season. Shaw letting Cunners and Ziebell decide to play (overruling the medical staff) a big no-no though.

LMac has been great, Ben McKay has surprised and whilst preferring he would handball as much as possible, feels like he's cemented a spot.

Majaks return , freaking miracle
For me this was a highlight.

But his goal reinforced what we've missed.

The members wing at Docklands would have ripped the roof off the joint when he kicked it had it been a proper home game.

Camera panned to 1 bloke in the crowd half clapping.

Nice post Snake, one player that you didn't mention was Lachlan Hosie. He has shown a few things over the last couple of weeks that suggests he could play a part in the coming years. A few things to improve on as well, but overall he looks okay.

Nailed it Snake.

Whilst there are still question marks on some players, there's something really special about that young brigade. They are showing a lot of promise and stepping up when our seniors just can't seem to have an impact. Really pleasing.

What's scary is if we had the right mix of young talent and senior players out there for the majority of the year, who knows what this team is capable of.

A couple of seasons from here, this side could be special.

Absolutely has gotta be the exposure of the sub 23 group for mine. Has given me confidence moving forward that we have some good young talent to build on in coming years - it's a great head start to a rebuild which not all clubs have the luxury of. That coupled with our best draft hand in memory, is really exciting.

Rhys' willingness to play the kids. Obviously injuries contributed to this, however one of my real bugs with the Scott/Joyce combination was the lack of opportunity that was given to our youth. Those days are long gone.

We are fortunate in that despite having a "horrible year" there is some real silver lining. It was the type of year that the club has been putting off and off, however I think 2020* is the best year to do it. I also think that we will be down the bottom again next year (probably bottom 4/5), which is again fine - Just need to take a couple years to get the list right. Also think Rhys needs time to work on the game plan, but believe this is also a personnel thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back