ACT 2020 Australian Capital Territory Election - October 17

Who are you voting for/would you vote for?

• Liberal Party of Australia (ACT Division)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How about we have a national referendum instead to get rid of the bloated ACT govt and just replace it with a council or two as part of NSW. Gets rid of two senators, 25 useless overpaid local mps and we could divert billions of dollars wasted on duplicated bureacracy to health, education etc

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing really about this one.

How long have the Libs been in opposition for? 20 years? It going to change?
About that long, yes. Opinion polls suggest the Liberals will win a plurality of the vote and may win a plurality of MLAs too, but likely Labor and Greens will again form a coalition government. As a fan of light rail, I hope this comes to pass, because such a government would ensure Stage 2A of the light rail would progress, whereas the Liberals wanted to kill off Stage 1 at the previous election.

Nothing really about this one.

How long have the Libs been in opposition for? 20 years? It going to change?

No chance whatsoever. Alistair Coe is the most uninspiring party leader in the country and their election campaign is an absolute fizzer. Wouldn't be surprised if the LNP lost ground.

I can't see the Libs getting back in power in Canberra, at least, not while they have leaders of the quality (or lack) of Alistair Coe, he is a little too conservative in his views for a majority of Canberrans. Also, he is coming up against our current Chief Minister Andrew Barr, who may not be as popular as our previous CM's Jon Stanhope and Katy Gallagher, but has done a good job during the Covid-19 pandemic while also keeping the ACT economy in a reasonably strong position. Labor has also built a strong coalition with the ACT Greens which I think has worked very well over the last decade.

How about we have a national referendum instead to get rid of the bloated ACT govt and just replace it with a council or two as part of NSW. Gets rid of two senators, 25 useless overpaid local mps and we could divert billions of dollars wasted on duplicated bureacracy to health, education etc

So you believe that nearly half a million Australian's don't have the right to decide their futures and the future direction of their city?

Last edited:
I can't see the Libs getting back in power in Canberra, at least, not while they have leaders of the quality (or lack) of Alistair Coe, he is a little too conservative in his views for a majority of Canberrans. Also, he is coming up against our current Chief Minister Andrew Barr, who may not be as popular as our previous CM's Jon Stanhope and Katy Gallagher, but has done a good job during the Covid-19 pandemic while also keeping the ACT economy in a reasonably strong position. Labor has also built a strong coalition with the ACT Greens which I think has worked very well over the last decade.

So you believe that nearly half a million Australian's don't have the right to decide their futures and the future direction of their city?
So I guess you think the Gold Coast, Newcastle should get their own senators as well? Canberra is just one city in the middle of a state and should be treated as such. They will still get three Federal MPs and multiple NSW MPs to express their views and probably big cuts to rates and charges from not having to pay for a useless layer of govt.

So I guess you think the Gold Coast, Newcastle should get their own senators as well? Canberra is just one city in the middle of a state and should be treated as such. They will still get three Federal MPs and multiple NSW MPs to express their views and probably big cuts to rates and charges from not having to pay for a useless layer of govt.

I do believe the Gold Coast and Newcastle have Mayors and Town Councils who service the cities and the nearby regions which they sit below the State Government. It's the State's that have the bloated Governments systems that waste billions of dollars on duplicated bureacratic systems.

Whereas Canberra has only one level of Government which has powers similar to the State Governments but also provide local services. I would actually say that it's the ACT that has the more streamlined and efficient government.

To answer your question, I've always believed State Governments should be scrapped and Local Councils given greater resources. But perhaps some of their powers need to be tempered as well.

Actually, yes. I'd eliminate states and instead elect senators using smaller regional electorates. But that'd require rewriting the constitution and Tasmania would never agree.
That is a good idea, maybe a bit like the Victorian upper house which is district based. Would make sense for places that currently sit over borders but have same issues like Albury-wodonga etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost a third of the votes in, and it looks like Labor may gain a seat in Brindabella (Tuggeranong) and the Greens may gain a seat in Kurrajong (Eastern Canberra, North and South of the Lake).

Back