Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
A dud night session in Adelaide tomorrow night - Delbonis (qualifier) v Duckworth (wild card) followed by Wang v Kerber.

I'd say more people will be watching the Hewitt /Thompson doubles than Duckworth. Surprised they have Bencic on an outside court and even though it's doubles Halep on a small court. That will be packed.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Man the men's tournament in Adelaide really blows.

Rublev will either pull out or tank after winning Doha. De Minaur should pull out or tank if he wants to do anything at AO as he played some tough 3 set matches in the ATP cup. FAA was really disappointing in the ATP Cup. Honestly wouldn't pay to see any of the others.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We can't really complain down here TBH. We are a small city. To have had Serena Williams plus all those players you have mentioned, down here in the last 15 years is more than enough for me.

For every Muguruza, Kvitova and Mertens champions, we also have a Heather Watson, Alize Cornet or a Schmieds(runner up), so winning here is not always a pathway to glory.

Hobart gets a good field even though Adelaide is basically first choice for most. Not sure if the Tennis Australia vision will come to life but I think they would like a men's event in Hobart at the same time. So Auckland moves weeks. Their dream schedule looks something like.

Week 1 ATP Cup / WTA Cup Sydney / Brisbane / Perth. Plus a combined ATP / WTA Auckland event. Challenger event in Canberra. Possibly another Challenger in Australia.
Week 2 Combined ATP/WTA events in Adelaide and Hobart. Challenger in Bendigo.
Week 3 & 4 AO

For the above to happen:
- The men's event in Doha needs to move to mid to late Feb.
- The women's event in China to move to the Asian swing. I think this is the hardest to negotiate.
- Auckland has to agree to combine their event. Their men's field will be much better which would be appealing as outside the ATP Cup it would be the only event but their women's event would really struggle. I don't think it would be strong enough on its own.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Man the men's tournament in Adelaide really blows.

Rublev will either pull out or tank after winning Doha. De Minaur should pull out or tank if he wants to do anything at AO as he played some tough 3 set matches in the ATP cup. FAA was really disappointing in the ATP Cup. Honestly wouldn't pay to see any of the others.

Same strength as Sydney has been which is why we now have the ATP Cup. Men just don't play the week before a Grand Slam.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Same strength as Sydney has been which is why we now have the ATP Cup. Men just don't play the week before a Grand Slam.

Always going to struggle week before a slam but that Sydney field is miles better. It's like half the Sydney field went to Adelaide and the other half went to Auckland.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Always going to struggle week before a slam but that Sydney field is miles better. It's like half the Sydney field went to Adelaide and the other half went to Auckland.

Maybe in players you like but not in genuine quality

The seeds ranking wise are better in Adelaide than they were in Sydney last year and the cut off is higher in Adelaide.

Likewise the top seeds and cut off is higher in Adelaide than Auckland.

Don't let the facts get in the way, keep trying though.

Last edited:

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
ATP Cup Perth leg flopped - 54000 overall. The Hopman Cup regularly got 90000+. Anyone have crowd figures for the Brisbane leg?

Last edited:
ATP Cup Perth leg flopped - 54000 overall. The Hopman Cup regularly got 90000+. Anyone have crowd figures for the Brisbane leg?

Worked in Sydney though. I was there the days in Sydney. Amazing atmosphere. The tournament was a raging success. Scrap the DC at the end of the year and just have the ATP Cup if players are worried about schedules and what not

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, you linked the Sydney draw and mentioned Auckland.

Anyway I'll move on and ignore

Yes I said the players that went to Sydney last year split between Adelaide and Auckland this year instead of all going to Adelaide. Hence Adelaide draw has nowhere near the depth the Sydney draw did last year. Ergo Sydney field 2019 is a s**t load better than Adelaide 2020 which was the original comment.

Yes I said the players that went to Sydney last year split between Adelaide and Auckland this year instead of all going to Adelaide. Hence Adelaide draw has nowhere near the depth the Sydney draw did last year. Ergo Sydney field 2019 is a s**t load better than Adelaide 2020 which was the original comment.

Wasn't the top seed last year in Sydney Alex De Minuar though? Or was it Mededev?

Tsitsipas I think. More to do with the players the next level down. Seppi, Mannarino, Millman etc who all went to Auckland this year and the bottom of the Adelaide draw is rubbish. Hence you have a night session of Duckworth v Delbonis.

Actually think the biggest problem was the womens tournament being scrapped now that was a great event in Sydney where you had 7 or 8 of the top 10. The men is much of whatever. None of those names bar Mededev or Tsispas I'd be paying my hard earned to see.

Perth got shafted with the reshuffle. You can't say that the ATP was better than the Hopman

I think it was. Lets be real the Hopman was pretty meh the last few years. The tennis was better quality in the ATP Cup personally. My biggest issue is why the WTA didn't flip Brisbane with Adelaide.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I think it was. Lets be real the Hopman was pretty meh the last few years. The tennis was better quality in the ATP Cup personally. My biggest issue is why the WTA didn't flip Brisbane with Adelaide.
Crowds figures tell a different story. And for the city of Perth as a whole, having Serena and fed play a mixed doubles match against each other is something which went around the world.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Crowds figures tell a different story. And for the city of Perth as a whole, having Serena and fed play a mixed doubles match against each other is something which went around the world.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Great but it's not as if either (maybe one) might have played this year if they kept in. Figures in Sydney were through the roof. What they missed in Perth they got in Sydney. Hopman Cup wasn't going to survive long term anyway.

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
For Perth fans it was a big downgrade. Scrapping a popular tournament for another event with no women players, no Australian team and fewer drawcards. No wonder it couldn't pull a crowd.

For Perth fans it was a big downgrade. Scrapping a popular tournament for another event with no women players, no Australian team and fewer drawcards. No wonder it couldn't pull a crowd.

Why does it matter if there aren't Australian players? Even the Hopman Cup only one session would have that. It was stagnating at best the Hopman Cup. This new one looks good and after being there in the sydney leg, would be amazed if it's not here to stay. What they could do is possibly start a few days earlier to give these players a bit more between now and the AO but the event was a success. The bigger issue this year was the Brisbane International (I only knew it was the final yesterday after blindly flicking on the TV before I left to get to Homebush!). However from next year there are plans for a womens version of the ATP Cup, so maybe that's the solution. Best of both worlds. You might even have the finals in Perth or Brisbane there. Just wait and see when the details come out for that one.

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Why does it matter if there aren't Australian players? Even the Hopman Cup only one session would have that. It was stagnating at best the Hopman Cup. This new one looks good and after being there in the sydney leg, would be amazed if it's not here to stay. What they could do is possibly start a few days earlier to give these players a bit more between now and the AO but the event was a success. The bigger issue this year was the Brisbane International (I only knew it was the final yesterday after blindly flicking on the TV before I left to get to Homebush!). However from next year there are plans for a womens version of the ATP Cup, so maybe that's the solution. Best of both worlds. You might even have the finals in Perth or Brisbane there. Just wait and see when the details come out for that one.
It was a mixed success at best. Success in Sydney, failure in Perth, doubtful in Brisbane. Hard to see TA shifting the final away from Sydney. You can hardly say Hopman Cup was stagnating when it was pulling 90K+ even in the non-Fed years. If 90K is stagnating, 54K is DOA.

Last edited:
Back