2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Those skills can be valuable all over the ground. No point limiting them to one position, especially when as a club we have just highlighted a) the depth we have in that position, and b) the need we have in other parts of the ground. Just ask Beveridge and Naughton.

The idea that players with translatable skills should be limited to the position they played when drafted is what is being discussed. Tucker can play in other roles because the skillset is there.
Tucker was considered purely an outside player when drafted. He's significantly quicker than most here seem to think in my opinion and he was known for his pace at junior level. Darcy worked on his original weakness which was his inside work, but I think if he lost a bit of muscle and spent the preseason training to be a wingman with extra sprint work and running I think he's the answer to our need for more outside run and quality ball use into the forward 50.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's stuff all forward pressure there. 1-2 of Schultz, Crowden, Frederick and Switkowski will be in our forward line.

Definitely agree he can rotate forward though, and he did this season at times.
Sturt will be our best pressure player next year is my prediction. He could very well already be our quickest player in sprints.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Sturt will be our best pressure player next year is my prediction. He could very well already be our quickest player in sprints.
Definitely agree he could be. That'll make the difference between 1-2 of the other pressure smalls making it for mine.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Tucker was considered purely an outside player when drafted. He's significantly quicker than most here seem to think in my opinion and he was known for his pace at junior level. Darcy worked on his original weakness which was his inside work, but I think if he lost a bit of muscle and spent the preseason training to be a wingman with extra sprint work and running I think he's the answer to our need for more outside run and quality ball use into the forward 50.
He can also roost goals from 60m

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
with our plethora of KPD's that deserve to be in the best 22: Hamling, Pearce, Cox & Logue, but in reality only 3 positions for them to fill, which one gets repositioned?
The only 2 who could are Cox & Logue & many have suggested Cox move forward, but we already have the Hogan, Taberner, Lobb triumvirate there.
How about the old, Logue to the midfield move? 2020 showed he was really up to AFL standard. Now is it time to prepare the beast for the midfield?
Imagine a rotation there that had Darcy, Fyfe, Logue & Mundy there!
The monster mash. Mundy would be the smallest!
There is time to get him ready for it.
Now I get ready for the attacks. :cool::moustache::D

Shaymuhz

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
1060 West Addison
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could actually see Hamling being pushed out of the side (if we ever had a zero injury list) for this reason:

FF: Sturt, Lobb, Hogan
HF: Walters, Taberner, Fyfe
C: Hill, Mundy, Acres
HB: Young, Pearce, Wilson
FB: Cox, Logue, Ryan

Followers: Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra
Bench: Serong, Tucker, Switkowski, Conca/Aish/Hughes/Frederick/Crowden

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's trigger time... :D

B Hughes ~ Pearce ~ Logue

HB Wilson ~ Cox ~ Ryan

C Cerra ~ Cripps ~ Acres

HF Sturt ~ Hogan ~ Fyfe

F Walters ~ Taberner ~ Lobb

R Darcy ~ Brayshaw ~ Serong

I/C Mundy ~ Aish ~ Tucker ~ Young
The opportunity cost appears to be Henry (who would balance the forward line better) and Valente who enters his third season as depth awaiting injury.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
B- Johannisen, Hamling, Ryan
HB- Wilson, Pearce, Logue
C- Heppell, Cripps, Acres
HF- Sturt, Hogan, Walters
FF- Narkle, Taberner, Lobb
R- Darcy, Fyfe, Serong
INT- Brayshaw, Cerra, Hooker, Brayshaw

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tbh I can't see Young or Sturt dominating next year. I have little faith in Freo getting ankle injuries right. Looking across the league a lot of players have struggled coming back from them. I think that might be why they're taking their time with Pearce but who knows. Can anyone point to some good examples of players returning from ankle injuries? I think both Darling and Kennedy had them IIRC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back