2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you guys think will be our No.1 Forward target next year? Obvious and logical answer is Taberner because he's on of our best contested marks and biggest targets up in the forward line. I know that people will say Hogan but he's more of a centre half forward kind of player. I'd say the order goes

1. Taberner
2. Hogan
3. Lobb (McCarthy too when he plays)

Who do you guys think will be our No.1 Forward target next year? Obvious and logical answer is Taberner because he's on of our best contested marks and biggest targets up in the forward line. I know that people will say Hogan but he's more of a centre half forward kind of player. I'd say the order goes

1. Taberner
2. Hogan
Mcarthy's best role is as a lead up forward. Completely different to the other three.

I'd love to see Colyer cement a spot in the Best 22 to be completely honest because I like the guy and would love to see him improve and get his name on that selection list.

Whatever the case, he’ll be most likely starting with Peel and just be depth till the end of his contract.

Surprise wild card spots that might be penciled in for round 1. Cox at full back?, mcarthy on the wing?. What else could come in as a surprise with the jlo effect ?

1. Taberner
2. Hogan
I'd trust Hogan from 60 over Tabs from 20

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Buddy of Minairo Frederick 2020

I'd trust Hogan from 60 over Tabs from 20

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Buddy of Minairo Frederick 2020
I know Tabs may not look like the best kick but consider this.

Both Tabs and Hogan Kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds in 2019. AFL has Tabs at 45% scoring accuracy and Hogan at 43%. Not to mention, Hogan played 3 games more than Taberner.

I know it's one season and I'm not trying to argue that Tabs is better than Hogan just simply pointing out he's not that bad.

I'll happily have Tabs clunking them up forward, we looked a much better side when he was fit

I'll just be happy if they are all fit and available. My no. 1 criticism of the past number of years is the number of our best players out injured. Each off-season we would set up these nice B22s only to see most of the positions having to change by the bye and cobble together the best we could. Last year how excited were we setting out forward lines with Hogan, Lobb, Tabs, and Dardy for it never to happen. We spend time arguing over Tabs v someone and neither end up being available for very long anyway. Get them on the field JLo and keep them there or find some new support people that can help you do it if the current ones continue to fail.

IMO, our team on paper is full of talent. I just want to see that paper team actually take the field together for once and see what we can do. Please Santa?

I know Tabs may not look like the best kick but consider this.

Both Tabs and Hogan Kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds in 2019. AFL has Tabs at 45% scoring accuracy and Hogan at 43%. Not to mention, Hogan played 3 games more than Taberner.

I know it's one season and I'm not trying to argue that Tabs is better than Hogan just simply pointing out he's not that bad.

I'll happily have Tabs clunking them up forward, we looked a much better side when he was fit

Disagree with the bolded part, we actually rattled off wins against Brisbane. Collingwood and Port after he went down. It was when Hogan went down we really suffered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with the bolded part, we actually rattled off wins against Brisbane. Collingwood and Port after he went down. It was when Hogan went down we really suffered.
Those wins you mention were largely due to Walters hitting full beast mode. Hogan was good against Collingwood and Port but didn't show up against Brisbane.

Tabs is the focal point of our forward line, his contested marking is just something else.

There was also a plethora of injuries by the time Hogan went down, pretty hard to pin point it to one player (I guess I've just discredited my own point about Tabs but I'll run with it).

Teams could intercept in the back half with ease and set up counter attacks without the big guys.

Also, Hogan is very smart and how’s when to lead and when to hold position. Taberner not so much.

Surprise wild card spots that might be penciled in for round 1. Cox at full back?, mcarthy on the wing?. What else could come in as a surprise with the jlo effect ?
A new coach will want wins as early as possible, and I am predicting a conservative approach to selection. My wildest prediction would be that a rookie gets a debut, either Young or Serong. Beyond that, getting a handle on the roles of Acres and Aish will be enough of a catalyst for change without considering wild cards. We will have enough reasonable changes from player progress from the likes of Bewley, Cerra, Bradshaw etc.

My next biggest wild card would be that McCarthy plays predominantly as a forward.

Teams could intercept in the back half with ease and set up counter attacks without the big guys.

Also, Hogan is very smart and how’s when to lead and when to hold position. Taberner not so much.
I don’t get to see a heap of games live but I really kept an eye on Tabs and Hogan when we played Essendon over here. Tabs was terrible at leading patterns/creating space for the other forwards. So many times he would drag his defender into the open space Hogan had created. Was incredibly frustrating to watch and really turned me off having Tabs in the starting 22.

Taberner fails to get separation on leads or his timing is out which results high contested mark count.

How many pack contested marks does he take? Sure he is pretty good at that but he isn’t elite.
The sarcasm seems to have been lost on some.

He averaged 2.7 contested marks per game in 2019, 2.2 per game in 2018 and 2.8 in 2017. He's well and truly up there, I don't know about the cut offs for classifications but that's pretty impressive.

A new coach will want wins as early as possible, and I am predicting a conservative approach to selection. My wildest prediction would be that a rookie gets a debut, either Young or Serong. Beyond that, getting a handle on the roles of Acres and Aish will be enough of a catalyst for change without considering wild cards. We will have enough reasonable changes from player progress from the likes of Bewley, Cerra, Bradshaw etc.

My next biggest wild card would be that McCarthy plays predominantly as a forward.

I don’t quite know why, but I’m feeling like Young is odds on to start in R1!

The sarcasm seems to have been lost on some.

He averaged 2.7 contested marks per game in 2019, 2.2 per game in 2018 and 2.8 in 2017. He's well and truly up there, I don't know about the cut offs for classifications but that's pretty impressive.
Let’s put it simply.

He leads into space and doesn’t get separation. The uncontested mark turns into an contested Mark.

Taberner leads too early or too late and then it’s a contested marking situation.

While, Hogan gets separation and timing is spot on gets an easy uncontested mark. Then he has more time to make the next kick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back