2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Since this is a discussion and not just a "write down your favourite" team, some questions:

(1) Is Henry automatically in the 22? Is he in the 18?
Speed and Skill in the forward line, yes please. Should be treating him like Collingwood did with Stephenson. Same goes for Sturt

Walters - Hogan - Sturt
Henry - Taberner - Matera

Lobb as the 7th fwd off the bench (30% ruck - 40% fwd - 30% Bench)

(2) With Pearce, Wilson and Ryan back, is Logue in the best 22?
Yes. Hamling and Logue are both capable on playing talls and smalls.

(3) How far out of the best 22 is Crowden?
Depending on pre-season form I still think he's a way off.

(4) What are our top 3 talls down forward?
FF - Tabs
CHF - Hogan
Ruck/Fwd - Lobb (roating off the bench)

(5) Is Cox in the best 22? If not how far out is he?
The last two pre-seasons I've watched him during Peel scratch matches and I haven't been impressed with his application/desire. It's showed in the games he did get during this season. IMO he's miles out.

(6) Are Valente or Sturt realistically a chance to be in the round 1 team?
Sturt yes, Valente no. Valente has barely got on the park this year.

(7) Where does Cerra likely play next year?
Depending on fitness. Midfield rotating off the bench and hbf. (Midfield 50% - HBF 20% - Bench 30%) 3rd year in, we need to see if he's capable in the midfield.

(8) Is Mundy a "Bench" player next year? does he stick to "one half" of the ground?
Bryashaw, Cerra, Tucker and Blakely need to start stepping up their midfield minutes. So Mundy should almost be a bench player, rotating off the bench. He shouldn't be going near the fwdline this year. Unless Tabs, Hogan, Lobb and Dixon all go down.

(9) What is the pecking order for Rucks, assuming they are all fit? Is Taberner and/or Dixon in that list?
I still think we played our best when Lobb was our No1 ruck (GWS and Collingwood games). Another preseason into Darcy should really help with his mobility/agility/fitness though which is obviously he area of weakness.

(10) What position does Walters play next year?
Somewhat similar to this year, maybe a bit more forward (50% midfield - 30% fwd - 20% bench). Be silly to change what is clearly working.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
And Dardy was our 3rd highest goal scorer which may count for something in the post-RBB era?
Really a frustrating case. Had a few bad games, still think we should have persisted with him. Most forward will have bad games depending on matchups and supply. Still I think he needs to get fitter. Think his best footbal is played in a Nick Riewoldt like role running around up to the wings a lot.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think with the new coach there needs to be a clear yes/no on a lot of fringe players:
-Cox
-McCarthy
-Conca
-Colyer
-Schultz
-Bewley
-Banfield
-Duman
-Hughes

with probably a 'no' for many of them.
Logistically how would you see that happening? The appointment, then within a week make decisions on players who are still on leave and who may not have met the coach? I don't think that is realistic, and think the List Manager needs to make those decisions, starting with keeping anyone who is in contract and not being pursued for a trade.

democritus

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Assuming Hill and Langdon leave and not making assumptions about who will come, these are the players on our list who should be best 18 next year in my opinion. I actually think it's pretty decent or I could just be delusional.

FB: Wilson, Hamling, Logue
HB: Ryan, Pearce, TBD
C: S Hill, Blakely, TBD
HF: Walters, Hogan, Matera
FF: Lobb, Taberner, TBD
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw
IC: Conca, Cerra, Mundy, TBD

Barring injury (which of course will play a role), I see 4 spots up grabs. I'm sure others see more.

Next in line with scope for improvement
- Switkowski (will likely get a run early but needs to convert)
- McCarthy (team is already tall, will need to show serious form in the off season)
- Hughes (shows signs, can be frustrating)
- Duman (as above)
- Tucker (does he leave, can he become a gut running winger?)
- Cox (behind in the pecking order)
- Dixon (likewise behind in the pecking order)
- Carter (made some silly mistakes but has X factor)

The foot soldiers
- Colyer
- Crowden (yes he's young but he seems like another brady grey)
- Bailey Banfield (a less skilled de boer, needs to be played as a tagger or not at all)
- Lachie Shultz (doesn't excite me, ok depth)
- Brett Bewley (not quite the lethal foot advertised, already 24, could be deployed on a wing but I'm not bullish)

The unknowns
- Sturt (high pick, will he break into the team?)
- Valente (hasn't really had a run at it, will be interesting with a full pre-season under his belt)
- Tom North (haven't watched at peel level can't comment

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Since this is a discussion and not just a "write down your favourite" team, some questions:

(8) Is Mundy a "Bench" player next year? does he stick to "one half" of the ground?
(9) What is the pecking order for Rucks, assuming they are all fit? Is Taberner and/or Dixon in that list?

1) Nobody's automatically in the 22 - but theres a big hole on the list with Ed and Brad going. The spots there for him to grab in the preseason. Likely as a small forward with bursts on the wing rather than as a winger.
2) Yes; Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Ryan, Wilson, Hughes are the back 6 for mine (before trading takes effect) - Hill on a wing.
3) It will depend on how much he comes on, I rate the kid - adds something different to the line-up, but he's not in the starting side for mine yet (pushing for an emergency spot bar any sudden rise)
4) Easy. Lobb, Tabs, Hogan
5) No. Versatile so its hard to line him up, probably 1 or 2 injuries away at either end.
6) Valente, No. Sturt, Yes - will need a big preseason though and to put on some size quick smart.
7) Would like to see him on a wing.
8) Will be a bit of a Mr fix it, can't go forward with 3 KPF's or we're a bit slow. Wouldn't be surprised to see him trialled on a wing either to give Brayshaw and the likes more time inside.
9) Darcy, Lobb, Meek - If Lobb rucks Tabs/Dixon become backup rucks.
10) Same as this year, has to keep rotating. Ideally some younger guys come on more through the midfield and he can go forward more. If we're struggling to feel the void on a wing he's one that could certainly play a role there as well: It will depend on others.

1) Is Henry automatically in the 22? Is he in the 18?
Provided he has no setbacks with injury I’d want him starting round 1 up forward
Yes, probably in place of Hughes
Would probably need a really good pre-season to squeeze in best 22, still got promise IMO but would need some good WAFL games
Hogan, Lobb, Tabs (think Cam is more of a 3rd/hybrid type role - not a true tall)
Depends on the set up the coach goes for. If he delivers on his potential (which imo I think is fairly high), then he could push up and be in consideration ahead of a Tabs type
Sturt probably, Valente maybe
Midfield
I’d say bench in a Mr fix it type role
As ‘lead’ rucks
Darcy - Lobb - Meek.
50/50 mix fwd and mid for mine.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
No point listing b22. We need all round better depth across the board. Our injury list especially to our best is always a long one every year.

Let’s get rid of the banfields, norths and shultzs(was hoping he’d be good)of the world and replace with afl standard. As soon as Hogan went down we just threw our hands in the air!

All I’ll say about the best 22 in 2020 is I fear we’ve seen the best of Sean Darcy and that worries me.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd like to at the end of the rookie draft to say we have a good solid 30 players that doesn't include Sturt, Valente and Draftees.

If the younger guys smash pre season and look better options by round one that's only good for freo.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
With it being a fresh start with a new coach and all could see a few debutants round one.

Elijah Taylor on a HFF
Liam Henry in a FP

8e8.gif

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
No point listing b22. We need all round better depth across the board. Our injury list especially to our best is always a long one every year.

Let’s get rid of the banfields, norths and shultzs(was hoping he’d be good)of the world and replace with afl standard. As soon as Hogan went down we just threw our hands in the air!

All I’ll say about the best 22 in 2020 is I fear we’ve seen the best of Sean Darcy and that worries me.

Depth is good for two or three injuries a week, but we basically had Peel playing AFL at times these past few seasons!

Galapagoose

Debutant
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
*** AP Ryan
*** Hamling ***
Tucker Brayshaw ***
Walters Hogan ***
*** Tabs Matera
Lobb Fyfe ***
Mundy Conca Cerra Blakley

Plenty of spots that need to be filled imo. We are so slow! we need some pace desperately.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
*** AP Ryan
*** Hamling ***
Tucker Brayshaw ***
Walters Hogan ***
*** Tabs Matera
Lobb Fyfe ***
Mundy Conca Cerra Blakley

Plenty of spots that need to be filled imo. We are so slow! we need some pace desperately.
If you're looking for pace how about Wilson back pocket, Logue one half back flank and Carter the other? They are all very fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Galapagoose

Debutant
Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you're looking for pace how about Wilson back pocket, Logue one half back flank and Carter the other? They are all very fast.

Wilson - Doesn't get enough of the ball for how bad defensively he is. Hopefully he can can his numbers up a bit. But not a certain starter imo.

Logue - I rate Logue but he isn't fast or a back flank and I dont think you can play him with Hamling and AP. We need one of these players to have some attacking ability. 3 lockdown types doesn't really work in the modern game imo. Maybe we can bring MJ out of retirement?

Carter has a long way to go.

Last edited:

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best 22.
We don't have the midfield right now to back up Fyfe and Walters, so I am going all out on a limb here and saying that we will throw the kitchen sink at Kelly or someone of his quality.
We desperately need good ball users. Conca is not up to it. Brayshaw is not good enough with ball in hand and Cerra too inconsistent (at this stage)
The only guy good enough as a mid is Blakely (and only as an inside mid) I'm tipping a huge year for him.
We need the quality users (Walters, S hill) on the outside.
There will be a new recruit on the half back flank - as Conca, Carter, Cerra ect are just not up to that role right now, and Hughes not good enough with ball in hand. (Shai Bolten maybe?)
Unlike some others, I don't see Langdon going as a huge loss - as he turned the ball over too much.

Best 22.
Logue Hamling Wilson
New Recruit Pearce Ryan
S hill Fyfe Walters
Sturt Taberner Lobb
Matera Hogan Switta

Ruck. Darcy T Kelly Blakely

Interchange. Mundy, Cerra, Tucker, Brayshaw.

Depth: Hughes, Giro (can be converted to a fan if he bulks up pre season) Crowden, Dixon, North, Carter, Valente, Bewley.
Get rid of: Conca, Duman Banfield, Colyer, Schultz They're all not good enough for AFL level.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best 22.
We don't have the midfield right now to back up Fyfe and Walters, so I am going all out on a limb here and saying that we will throw the kitchen sink at Kelly or someone of his quality.
We desperately need good ball users. Conca is not up to it. Brayshaw is not good enough with ball in hand and Cerra too inconsistent (at this stage)
The only guy good enough as a mid is Blakely (and only as an inside mid) I'm tipping a huge year for him.
We need the quality users (Walters, S hill) on the outside.
There will be a new recruit on the half back flank - as Conca, Carter, Cerra ect are just not up to that role right now, and Hughes not good enough with ball in hand. (Shai Bolten maybe?)
Unlike some others, I don't see Langdon going as a huge loss - as he turned the ball over too much.

Best 22.
Logue Hamling Wilson
New Recruit Pearce Ryan
S hill Fyfe Walters
Sturt Taberner Lobb
Matera Hogan Switta

Ruck. Darcy T Kelly Blakely

Interchange. Mundy, Cerra, Tucker, Brayshaw.

Depth: Hughes, Giro (can be converted to a fan if he bulks up pre season) Crowden, Dixon, North, Carter, Valente, Bewley.
Get rid of: Conca, Duman Banfield, Colyer, Schultz They're all not good enough for AFL level.

If Kelly is open to come to Freo we'll make it happen, but if he only wants to go to WCE I hope we pull out of all negotiations before they even start. Geelong wont let them leave with a first round selection this year or next!

PSD is the only way we should get him if they don't come to terms!

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me it would be:

Ryan, Hamling, Logue
Hughes, Pearce, Wilson
(winger), Fyfe, Tucker
Switkowski, Taberner, Walters
Lobb, Hogan, Matera

Darcy, Mundy, Brayshaw

Blakely, Cerra, S.Hill, Conca

Depth: Duman, Bewley, Schultz, Cox, McCarthy, Banfield, Colyer, (ruck), (inside mid) (9)

Kids: Sturt, Dixon, Carter, Crowden, Giro, Watson, O’Reilly, Valente, Meek, other draftees (13 + Cat B rookies)

I want the kids to start the pre season outside best 22 and work their way in. If by round one they’re best 22 that’s great and it builds our depth. I don’t necessarily rate the players I’ve labelled as depth but I think that’s what these players need to be to A.) contribute and B.) be on our list in 2021. Wouldn’t be against having an extra ‘depth’ player but I think the ruck and inside mid are essential to make sure we don’t fall apart after a few injuries.

I think people are overrating skills if possible. We’ve been so bad in that area for so long half the people on this board seem to think players without elite skills who aren’t over 195cm or named Fyfe are absolute spuds. We have a few players who’d get games for quite a few sides despite the fact they aren’t elite kicks.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me it would be:

Ryan, Hamling, Logue
Hughes, Pearce, Wilson
(winger), Fyfe, Tucker
Switkowski, Taberner, Walters
Lobb, Hogan, Matera

Darcy, Mundy, Brayshaw

Blakely, Cerra, S.Hill, Conca

Depth: Duman, Bewley, Schultz, Cox, McCarthy, Banfield, Colyer, (ruck), (inside mid) (9)

Kids: Sturt, Dixon, Carter, Crowden, Giro, Watson, O’Reilly, Valente, Meek, other draftees (13 + Cat B rookies)

I want the kids to start the pre season outside best 22 and work their way in. If by round one they’re best 22 that’s great and it builds our depth. I don’t necessarily rate the players I’ve labelled as depth but I think that’s what these players need to be to A.) contribute and B.) be on our list in 2021. Wouldn’t be against having an extra ‘depth’ player but I think the ruck and inside mid are essential to make sure we don’t fall apart after a few injuries.

I think people are overrating skills if possible. We’ve been so bad in that area for so long half the people on this board seem to think players without elite skills who aren’t over 195cm or named Fyfe are absolute spuds. We have a few players who’d get games for quite a few sides despite the fact they aren’t elite kicks.
Yep...if it came down to it I'd take an elite decision-maker with average skills over a player with elite skills but average decision making.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep...if it came down to it I'd take an elite decision-maker with average skills over a player with elite skills but average decision making.

I’m more having a go at people who don’t think Conca is best 22 or say that Hughes or Duman are delist material and will probably say I’m accepting mediocrity because I don’t think the same.

Conca was best 22 at Richmond and has just played his best season of AFL footy. Good honest player who’d get a game at most teams - if not every single one.

Hughes and Duman played most games this year yet people are saying to delist them without even offering an alternative. Yes they made frustrating mistakes but the last man in a back six is generally a role player at best. If we trade in a half back they’ll either be at around the same level or we’ll be sacrificing a draft pick the same people would say isn’t worth it.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well Hughes is a horrendous decision maker on exposed form, but that could easily be a developmental issue that is rectified by experience.

Conca's more sound as you'd expect and I'd expect his decision making will get better as he gets more familiar with the team.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Is Sturt quick?

Sadly, I cant see SHill getting back and he hasn't really used his speed since 2012.

Yes - Sturt is quick (a good sub 3 seconds for 20m) and it plays out in him being able easily get out on a lead as a forward. Strength and endurance is what he needs to work on; he is good (in terms of timing, one touch) in contests marking situations at WAFL and below levels but he will not be able to do that so easily atm at AFL level given his current physique.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I’m more having a go at people who don’t think Conca is best 22 or say that Hughes or Duman are delist material and will probably say I’m accepting mediocrity because I don’t think the same.

Conca was best 22 at Richmond and has just played his best season of AFL footy. Good honest player who’d get a game at most teams - if not every single one.

Hughes and Duman played most games this year yet people are saying to delist them without even offering an alternative. Yes they made frustrating mistakes but the last man in a back six is generally a role player at best. If we trade in a half back they’ll either be at around the same level or we’ll be sacrificing a draft pick the same people would say isn’t worth it.
Finally someone said it. "BuT nYhuIs DeSerVeS a gAmE!!!!!" no he bloody didn't, Nyhuis was s**t, Hughes is easily better than him and it an't even close. Good post mate. Duman will only improve with time. Accepting mediocrity would be keeping an absolute spud like Nyhuis and delisting Hughes.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not exactly sure what condition ails SHill's quads/legs but in the interest of his longevity and availability would playing off the HBF instead of the wing be more beneficial to him? Less kms, less contested footy, etc. He's still going to have to kick which I believe is the issue but if we can't get that right we may as well just take him out back and be done with him.

Do we push him to try and get him to be the winger we need or just commit him to the slightly less taxing role in the backline and lockup our preferred back 6?

Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - A Pearce - SHill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back